• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by sas.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Knocked off my bike, advice needed !
  • Sgt.Fatknacker
    Free Member

Evening all. Got t-boned by a car yesterday, I was riding along the main road, she came in from a side road, didn't see me, and I ended up bouncing off the side of her car, and across the road (luckily, nothing was coming the other way). Hurt my lower back, neck, bent my thumb and skinned my elbow. Bike's got a ripped saddle, buckled front wheel and scuffed spd. Tears in my jacket and base layer over my scuffed elbow.
    I've contacted one of the no win lawyers, and been referred to a local solicitor (waiting for a decision as to if they will represent me), but my worry is that if the driver of the car decided to counter claim against me, they would have insurance, but being a cyclist, I wouldn't have )
    Has anyone been here before ? and if so, any advice I could do with ?
    Sorry for such a heavy first post !
    Stuart

kimbers

do u have house insurance including personal liability?

sas
    Free Member

I wouldn't worry about her counter-claiming, can't see what her grounds would be. Make sure you've reported the collision to the police and get a ref number, and see a doctor ASAP for a medical report if you haven't already as you'll need it for any compensation claims. If you're a member of a cycling organisation/club such as the CTC you can get legal advice from http://www.rjw.co.uk/ctc/ctc-accident-line , they're meant to be very cyclist friendly so even if you're not a member it might be worth considering them. Get your local bike shop to check the bike for hidden damage, and keep receipts for any expenses you incur (e.g. public transport fares), records of time off work, etc.

Couple of links that might be helpful:
    http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=391
    http://www.stop-smidsy.org.uk/information/crash

Hope it goes well.

grantway
    Free Member

Hi Mate sorry to hear
    Basically the same accident I had. I was used as a give way line.
    There is no grounds to counter claim do not worry there
    Infact demand to prosssecute Her!!

This happened to me some Three years back.
    I called this No win fee, Firstly I had no cycle insurance but they checked my Home insurance that would some how cover me.
    After this they had taken up my case.

They had given great help and avdvice
    It is how ever a long process and as I said it was Three years back
    and I am just about to settle now.

But they must know how you are IE problems caused through the accident.
    You must keep a diary of bad sleeping, pain etc and no Sex.
    also if you get depressed etc.
    All this will reflect in your claim.

Also need reciepts of cabs, also my wife had to drive me to my clients
    so you need to show this.
    Basicaly anything diffent to what your life was before the accident
    This all goes towards your claim.

Also I did get back deppreciation of my bike cloathes etc.

My claim is to be settled in the region of £ 20,000.00p

If you need to chat this is my e-mail and leave your number
    grantway01@hotmail.com

roper
    Free Member

Is it normal now to try and get as much money as possible for an accident? Making things up and exaggerating the effect for a bigger pay off?

grantway
    Free Member

ROPER Because of the accident I had Lost my business at the time and lay people off.
    Also debt Workshop costs and Mortgage still had to be paid
    And also have to live with the injurys
    So YES they do have to pay So **** Off

NikNak7890
    Free Member

There's a good "what to do" here:

http://www.londonfgss.com/thread4213.html

In a nutshell, try and find witnesses, visit the hospital to get checked over, report it to the Police,take photos of any injury and/or damage, contact a decent lawyer.
    Keep reciepts of any expense you've had because of the accident, plus any time you've had to have help from friends and family because you could carry out a task (shopping, housework, bathing etc)

As far as lawyer's go, I've used http://www.bikeline.co.uk/ a couple of times and had fantastic service, I've also heard good things about the CTC.

Good luck with the recovery mate, I'm just coming back from being (deliberately) mown down 18 months ago!

moreupsthandowns
    Free Member

This is an Injury RTC the driver that struck you is by your description of the incident Vehicle 1 you are Vehicle 2 in simple terms this means you are the victim. This must be reported by the Driver of Vehicle 1 as soon as is practicable or in any case within 24hrs to the Police. They will then ensure that all of her documents are recorded and because it is an injury crash they will want to speak with you.

DO NOT rely on her doing this! Go to the police yourself and make a full report to them, that way if she has not complied with the Road Traffic Act they can interview/speak with her to ensure all her documents are in order. Plus they may well wish to prosecute her.

You NEED to go to your Doctor or Hospital to get all your injuries treated and recorded.

I shall repeat DO NOT sit back and hope she will do the right thing.

Good luck, hope the injuries repair soon.

MUTDs

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Doesnt sound like the usual 'i had a brush with a car, how much can i sting them for' post. Sounds like he genuinely has some injuries and costs to cover.

Hope your ok matey

jabbathehut
    Free Member

grantway – Member

ROPER Because of the accident I had Lost my business at the time and lay people off.
    Also debt Workshop costs and Mortgage still had to be paid
    And also have to live with the injurys
    So YES they do have to pay So **** Off

I think roper was making a fair point albeit without knowing all your facts.

I completely agree that you should go for compo if you have lost money/work, bike repairs etc but there really does seem to be a "if there is blame/make a claim" culture taking hold which i am against completely.

Yea OP hope you are okay buddy and get sorted soon.

project
    Free Member

Stuart, try, http://www.bikeline.co.uk theyre cycling solicitors, and will sort you out.

Remember to report the matter to the police, and make a statement,get the officers number and contact details,and a copy of your statement, go to see a Gp or Hospital A nad E ,take pictures of all damage to you ,the bike, and the road where it happened.

You will also need to hire a bike to get around on,of similar specification,also replacement cycling jacket and helmet,keep al recceipts etc,and pass all details on to Bikeline.
    Hope you make a good recovery.Keep us all up to date.

theboatman
    Free Member

I got just over £6k following being hit by a car at a roundabout that left me with 2 arms and an ankle broken, a few sundry dislocations and a knock on the head. I went through a friend's practice that did a fair bit of ambulance chaser work, my home insurnace covered the cost, and it took over 6 years to settle. I didn't suffer any loss of earnings, and didn't bother pushing for every penny; I wasn't depressed by it, was back on the bike in 10 weeks and back riding to work at 12 weeks, and found you just had to be a bit more inventive in the approach to sex during my recovery. I ended up in the A&E dept that I work in, and attempted to get a bit punchy with one of the medic's I work with due to the pain relief, but to be fair being punchy with broken arms isn't that effective. I wouldn't want to repeat the experience, but still ride to work each day, and don't lose any sleep over it. I guess I could have pushed for more, but that ain't really me. Hope you are OK, and keep riding.

Newton
    Free Member

I got T-boned a few months back, spent the day in hospital on morphine and thought I'd knackered my shoulder but it was only soft tissue damage. Police were quick on the scene and witness confirmed driver was to blame (I was in a cycle lane)

Anyway, like many on here, once I'd realised the injury was not going to ruin my life, or even my year (no climbing for about 2 months), I was only really interested in getting the damage to the bike paid for. The police had suggested looking up a no win no fee lawyer but it appalled me the idea that they'd end up with £XXX when I was only after a couple of hundred to cover wheels and a new helmet. I rang the driver's insurer direct and they bit my hand off and paid up within a few days.

It might be worth going straight to the insurer, if it's cut and dry they might just pay up. There was a while when I thought I'd be out of pocket paying for physio but the injuries are fully healed now without it so happy days.

Back injury could potentially be problematic (and it will not be quick to understand the fiscal value/long term effects of the injury) but if you believe the injuries are superficial then I'd try my approach.

I wasn't so bothered about screwing over the driver because unlike so many drivers that are just utter tw*ts, I think he was mainly just a bit unlucky and dozy.

sas
    Free Member

I think roper was making a fair point albeit without knowing all your facts.
    I completely agree that you should go for compo if you have lost money/work, bike repairs etc but there really does seem to be a "if there is blame/make a claim" culture taking hold which i am against completely.

If as usual the police don't prosecute then unfortunately a compensation claim is the only way of making the point that they were driving without sufficient care. Give the compensation to a charity campaigning for safer roads if you don't want it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Knocked off my bike, advice needed !’ is closed to new replies.