Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Knocked off bike by a chicken!!!
  • crazybaboon

I've just bben knocked of my bike by a chicken that ran out of a farm yard into my front wheeel!
    I've got a deep gash on my left knee and banged up my elbow, shoulder and hip.
    The bike has suffered scuffed levers, bars saddle and skewers.
    Its a new trek madone 6.9 with 7900 dura ace groupset so its gonna cost a bit to sort out.
    Is the farmer responsible for the actions of his chicken?
    I feel quite lucky to get away with such minimal injuries and damage as we were pressing on at about 20mph and I went straight over the bars!

gnasher
    Free Member

how is the chicken?

ton

😆
    sorry if this is serious.

allthepies
    Free Member

Sue the plucker.

Carpediem
    Free Member

'Is the farmer responsible for the actions of his chicken?'

Sorry Dude,But i'm going to be grinning from ear to ear all night after that question.

Hope body & bike are fixed soon though.

gnasher
    Free Member

yes , sorry for the flppant response. As far as I know if a dog runs out into the rd and causes an accident then it is the owners responsibility and usually settled by houme insurance policies

azarat
    Free Member

Sounds like a time delayed April Fools to me. Have you informed the Police? Dangerous chicken are just as bad as Dogs.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

I once had the same thing with a rabbit that flew out from the hedge in front of me. Wonder who was in charge of that rabbit?

crazybaboon

Completely serious, riding in a group of 6,the suicidal chicken just missed the rider to my left before hitting me.
    We come down this road on the chain gang with 20+ riders, it'll be complete carnage if one ran out into that!

gnasher
    Free Member

hells teeth – flying rabbits now

crazybaboon

If it was a wild animal like a rabbit it'll just be one of those things, but this is not a wild animal, its a farm animal that is kept for profit, what if the farmer let cattle or pigs roam about in the same way?

bassspine
    Free Member

It's not a laughing matter if you've ever seen the price of DuraAce spares
    =:-O

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

How the hell did a chicken fling you over the bars?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

And why is a few scuffs going to cost you a fair bit to sort out?

Philden
    Free Member

Hope you took it for sunday lunch, my brother was knocked off his bike by a dog years ago and the owner paid for damages through his house insurance.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Interesting one. As far as I can see its a very debatable legal area – animals act 1971 and itdepends on things like was the animal behaving as normal for that animal and were the precautions sufficient and so on

Where damage is caused by an animal that does not belong to a dangerous species, a keeper of the animal is liable for the damage, except as otherwise provided by this Act, if:

a. The damage is of a kind that the animal, unless restrained, was likely to cause or that, if caused by the animal, was likely to be severe; and

b. The likelihood of the damage or of its being severe was due to characteristics of the animal that are not normally found in animals of the same species or are not normally so found except at particular times or in particular circumstances; and

Some discussion her that I found using google. There is quite a lot more.
    http://www.blm-law.com/2114/4809/objects/news/animal-instinct.html

I doubt it basically – you would be fighting the farmers insurance company.

Edit – and unrestrained chicken is unlikely to cause damage and the chicken was behaving as they normally do.

Tiger6791

Did you ask the chicken why it was crossing the road?

crazybaboon

Funky monkey – What do you think would happen with a chicken in your front wheel?
    Why should i have a scuffed up bike through no fault of mine?
    Left hand shifter about £150 to £200, fizik arione saddle £90, fsa carbon bars £200, skewers £40, I'd call that a fair bit!

duntmatter
    Free Member

I had a near-miss with another kamikaze chicken in Spain. It tried to run in front of the bike in front of me, but did a last second u-turn. It then had another go just as I reached the same place in the road. Evasive manoeuvres meant it just squawked a lot and lost a couple of feathers to my front wheel.

I suspect fowl play.

IGMC

Houns

A few bits scuffed and you wanna sue the farmer?!

FFS

Tiger6791

Funky monkey – What do you think would happen with a chicken in your front wheel?
    Why should i have a scuffed up bike through no fault of mine?
    Left hand shifter about £150 to £200, fizik arione saddle £90, fsa carbon bars £200, skewers £40, I'd call that a fair bit!

Poultry amount of damage if you ask me

Houns

Plucking figures outta the sky there i think

zaskar
    Free Member

Houns – Member

FFS

Sorry but I think the crazybaboon has damaged his Trek Madone because the farmer let his animals run loose.

What if it was your child or car or a horse running mad and kicked in your car wing or child?

Carbon frames don't like to be crashed.

One lady couldn't control her dog and went straight at me as I cycled along it chased me and knocked me off and thought it was a game.

My bike insurer took her to court for denting my new £2000 Xc frame (6 hrs old) and wouldn't pay up till they finally won.

I hope you reported it to the police first and then the farmer but doubt they will cough up.

Get a police report first.

And always have own damage insurance on expensive bikes.

scraprider
    Free Member

perhaps someone was egging him on.

Houns

So everyone wants chickens to be free range until the moment they cause a few bits of a bike to be scratched
    Claim compensation from the farmer and you are publicly condoning battery farming FACT

zaskar
    Free Member

LOL@Houns!

The farmer will have insurance for animals -it's a legal to have it as there are so many accidents.

Houns

Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall and Jamie Oliver would be turning in their graves, you bastid

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Call for chickens to be muzzled and put on leads outside!

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

I had a young blackbird attempt to fly out of hedge at me the other day, it just managed to clear the front wheel – did wonder what would have happened if it had gone through the wheel

yetiguy
    Free Member

I can sympathise with the OP, but at the end of the day it was an accident.

No need to be suing anyone.

chickenman

Nothing whatever to do with me mate!!!

singlespeedstu

You are yoking aren't you?

TheSanityAssassin

Even if you report it, I doubt it'll be up before the Beak…

Talkemada
    Free Member

hope you reported it to the police first and then the farmer but doubt they will cough up.

Get a police report first.

Ha ha! 😆

Can we all come down to the station, to see the desk sergeant's reaction to that one?

'So, sir, how did you come to fall off your bicycle?'

What if it had been a wild animal, like a squirrel or a badger? Who would you sue/report it to?

FFS

+1.

The worst thing that's been damaged is your pride. I hate to say it, but MTFU.

Worse things happen at sea. 🙄

IanMmmm
    Free Member

I had a young blackbird attempt to fly out of hedge at me the other day, it just managed to clear the front wheel – did wonder what would have happened if it had gone through the wheel

Probably ready to go on Britain's Got Talent if it can fly through the wheel of a bike without getting minced I'd think.

parkesie
    Free Member

How much would a chicken earn the farmer over its life time? Maybe he could sue you for loss of earnings and emotional damages as it was his favourite chicken.

spock
    Free Member

someone should put that chicken on a lead

franksinatra

Get the bike repaired at Edinburgh Bike 'Coop'

I'll get my coat

MrNutt
    Free Member

Hmmm, I suspect foul play to be the cause of this tragedy.

scaredypants

I've nearly been hit by horses twice while roadying in the new forest – I swear they wait til they see the whites of my eyes. It's not that they're scared at all, they just like to cross the road in front of you. Do it to cars too & then just stand there in the road looking at the driver. No bloody wonder so many get killed.

Oh, and this is eggsactly the sort of behaviour you'd expect from the cocks on here. Don't get in a flap over it

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Knocked off bike by a chicken!!!’ is closed to new replies.