Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Knee pads- which?
  • hora
    Free Member

Ok my 661 Kyle straits (large) seem to like slipping down on descents and are ratty looking.

So… I’ve tried on:

Dainese Trail Skins. Didn’t seem to fit when my knees bend- like cardboard?

IXS flow knee pads – ordered large and boy are they really tight on the lower quads (above the knee). I’m sure I heard the fabric purring- will the XL be any better? I doubt it’ll be snug at the bottom and enough at the top?

Fox launch- fitted like a glove but they actually feel like they’d give as much protection as well when you knock them gently against the corner of a hard surface.

What else should I consider?

Must feel literally like lycra shorts on yet offer good knee protection.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Had the Fox yes they are comfortable but not as good as Raceface Ambush!
    You can put them on and off without removing shoes an excellent idea for a trail knee pad without having to resort to more dh types. Because of the velocity and the straps they are really adjustable

binners

stevomcd
    Free Member

POC – by far the best I’ve ever used and still look like new after a full season guiding with them.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I’m using Fox Launch Pro they fit great and offer decent protection. I’m pretty sure they saved my knee from being totally obliterated weekend before last when I had an off on the bottom of Jacobs Ladder. Would also suggest 661 evo pads they didn’t fit me well but great protection.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Have you looked at the Leatt ones?

honourablegeorge

Been very happy with my Leatt 3DF – and I HATE wearing kneepads.

skiprat
    Free Member

Fox Launch Pro’s here, had 661 which felt bulky and rubbed a bit. Fox feel of similar size and protection but i don’t notice them when riding. Just a lot better fit for me.

hora
    Free Member

POC- didn’t consider those. Will look at these.

Edit- although bikeradar (if you’d listen to their views) panned the single-strap version has slippable. The pricey extended version has two straps.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

What size are you looking for? I’ve got a pair of medium Joint VPD 2.0s I’m considering selling. Been used for 2 rides since purchased!

Del

661 rage. direct kyle strait replacements.

hora
    Free Member

Curious’ how much and where are you based? I’ll have a measure up tonight.
    Sizing is weird- the IXS pads in large are too tight on the quads yet I guarantee that I could have sized-down from the large in the Kyle Straits as I always had to strap them up really tight to get them tight.

warns74
    Free Member

661 Rage (and others) all 30% off at Merlin at the moment if it’s of any use?

MSP

661 rage. direct kyle strait replacements.

I much preferred the kyle straits to the rage knee pads.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

POC Air.

Only pads I’ve had that I can wear all day.

gelert
    Free Member

+1 for Raceface Ambush or Fox Launch Pro (if you don’t sweat too much)

I bought the Fox Launch Pro XL. Fitted me like a glove in the shop. Bought them. Felt great riding. I did a flat out lap of my local and they got a bit hot. They chafed when I got sweaty – I only noticed when I got them off at home but the front and back of my knee was all red and the marks on the back of my leg were pretty sore for a day or two.

So a week later I bought the Raceface Ambush pads purely because they were 50% off at Evans making it a “bugger it, why not” purchase. Rode them all day on Saturday. No chafing so far but to be fair it’s too early to tell after one leisurely 4h ride exploring the hills on a cool day. They also fit like a glove. I got XL. They’re a bit more of a faff to get on because they have quite a few velcro straps to fit but you can fit and remove them with your riding shoes on which is a nice feature.

I’m racing at the weekend so the Raceface pads will be tested properly then. I might take both pads with me and do practice in the Fox then swap to the Raceface for the race. I really do hope they don’t chafe. It hurts 🙁

Neither pad slipped out of place when riding. My knees feel very well protected.

Two of my friends use the Fox Launch pads with no problems.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Troylee 5450 – wear them all day. There are shorter versions, I have rather wide thighs and calfs and they feel very comfy. They also look cool but not as cool as @Binners

chiefgrooveguru

Fox launch- fitted like a glove but they actually feel like they’d give as much protection as well when you knock them gently against the corner of a hard surface.

How in God’s name did you come to that conclusion? They’re hardshell pads used by tons of downhillers!

hora
    Free Member

Sorry I should have added ‘enduro’ in there. Great for trail grazes but anything even vaguely angular and it’ll **** hurt. I gently taped the knee against various shop items as I was really sceptical about the (blanket)-thick material over the knee. I was right:

tollah
    Free Member

POC are the only pads I’ve ever been able to wear whilst pedaling, all the others I’ve had over the years I’ve had to remove for the pedalling parts of the day.

nickc

I want those Hello Kitty ones, I reckon I’d score wearing those.

MSP

Sorry I should have added ‘enduro’ in there. Great for trail grazes but anything even vaguely angular and it’ll **** hurt. I gently taped the knee against various shop items as I was really sceptical about the (blanket)-thick material over the knee. I was right:

Is it not material that hardens under impact? Although I am sceptical about how defective it would be when so thin.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VDeJ7rLUYU[/video]

handybendyhendo
    Free Member

I have Race Face ones – and they are great!!

hora
    Free Member

MSP D3o? Nope I’d buy them if they were.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Got Fox Launch Pro’s

Good:
    – Hard cup protection
    – Given the level of protection not overly bulky
    – Comfortable and not overbearingly sweaty
    – The bands holding the top and bottom straps in place are more robust than equivalent 661.

Bad:
    – The material covering the side pads wears thin quickly and looks tatty (1 and half seasons for me)
    – As they wear they start to slip down.

smatkins1
    Free Member

Troylee 5450

These have been previously widely recommend on here. I’ve been using some for every ride for about 2 years now. They are nice to ride in and have looked after my knees in plenty of crashes.

However there isn’t much holding them in place once you start sliding in a crash. I’ve managed to pick up a few scrapes and knee grazes when they’ve moved when I’ve found myself coming departed from the bike at speed.

After a friend of mine needed his knee stitching up when his pad slid down during a crash at BPW this has convinced me something more substantial/secure is needed for anything more than zipping around the woods.

So good if you’re a pedaler not if you’re a descender

chiefgrooveguru

It very much comes down to fit. I narrowed down the choices as best I could from size charts and reviews, then ordered six different pairs from CRC and spent an evening wearing them around the house. The Launch Pro fitted me the best by far, so I sent the other five pairs back. Still happy with them – just bought another pair for lunchtime skatepark duties…

MSP

They chafed when I got sweaty – I only noticed when I got them off at home but the front and back of my knee was all red and the marks on the back of my leg were pretty sore for a day or two.

I have used assos cream on the back of the knees when wearing pads on hot days.

jairaj

Troylee 5450 – wear them all day. There are shorter versions, I have rather wide thighs and calfs and they feel very comfy. They also look cool but not as cool as @Binners

+1 I’ve tried both the shorter 5400 and longer 5450. Both are very comfortable and light and cope fine with pedalling around all day. They might need a little re-adjust couple times round a long ride but no more than that.

I would personally go for the longer ones as they add hardly any extra bulk and the extra length helps keep them in place a bit better than the shorter ones. You release how bulky the 661 pads are and how soggy they get on a long hot day after trying the Troy Lee ones.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I quite liked the KG5450’s but I did have to warranty them 3 times, as they just kept falling apart. Same story for a couple of others I know with them.

They were almost spot on, if only they added a couple of velcro straps to them to hold them in place a bit better.

I’ve got some 661 Evo’s, which don’t really work how I want them to, and they pinch my leg on the back of the knee, after wearing them for 2 days racing (and not even a big loop) they had pinched the skin raw, not really what you want from a set of knee pads.

I’m at a bit of a loss as to what to get now. Don’t want the bulk of a 661 KS (or new version) and have tried a load of the above pads, but none fit properly. I’ve got reasonable sized thighs, skinny knees and reasonable calf muscles which usually results in a pad that bunches down from the top and up from the bottom. Stupid legs.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I’m based near Reading. E-mail in profile if you want to discuss further?

hora
    Free Member

Well Ive just ordered M, L Pocs and M, L Evo II 661’s.

I’d love to try TLD’s as I rate their kit but all pads need straps IMO as everyone is of differing shapes from their model that they used.

The pinching- Bet its down to your leg shape to a degree

honourablegeorge

Hob Nob – Member
    I quite liked the KG5450’s but I did have to warranty them 3 times, as they just kept falling apart. Same story for a couple of others I know with them.

They were almost spot on, if only they added a couple of velcro straps to them to hold them in place a bit better.

I like the knee/shin version of those, wear them for more DH-y stuff – the shin piece holds the knee bit in place, so no straps needed.

Leatt ones are good – mind you, I’m XXL in them, versus L in Troy Lee

hora
    Free Member

Emailed you

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I like the knee/shin version of those, wear them for more DH-y stuff – the shin piece holds the knee bit in place, so no straps needed.

That’s the model I had – would still prefer straps, for those crashing moments to help keep the pad where it’s meant to be.

Tried the Leatt’s – probably the worst fitting pad of the lot of me!

hora
    Free Member

Abit like different brands helmets it seems- a fair observation?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Very much so – your approach is probably the best, just spank £500 on a load of different pads & sizes, try them all on, keep the one that fits & send the rest back.

It’s a fairly tedious process though.

hora
    Free Member

Thoroughly agree. No other way though. Even a decent LBS couldnt hold more than a few brands instore.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Emailed you

Me? Nothing yet. Unless your real name is Mrs Jilly Stiffer?

teethgrinder

I have these Race Face Flank

First ones I have had and they seem good so far. D30 seems useful.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Knee pads- which?’ is closed to new replies.