Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • Kielder 100 back on for 2015?….. Anyone?
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Speaking of races making a comeback, anyone know if this will happen again? 🙂

postierich
    Free Member

Love to give it another go Finished one but bailed on my last!

wilburt
    Free Member

Please no..

monkeychild
    Free Member

I haz unfinished bizniss wit dat der race. Damn! I’m street.

senorj

Oh crikey.
    I did two&would love to do another,but IMO it takes a lot of commitment training for it.
    Not sure if I’d have the time .maybe 2016…..

stevemakin

very very doubtful

daleftw
    Free Member

Shame, would have loved to have ridden it. Out of interest, does anyone have a link to the route?

Drac

Don’t count on it, a real shame as was a great event.

DaleFTW

http://www.strava.com/activities/6671030

The-Beard

I’d love it to come back. Not found anything else to replace it. Any suggestions for a similar event?

marvincooper

I’d definitely do another

Clink

I’d love it to come back. Not found anything else to replace it. Any suggestions for a similar event?

IoM 100 miler in July

Tracker1972
    Free Member

I would do it again, at lest if it was on the original date or a touch earlier. Too far for a weekend trip so when it was during the summer holidays it was ideal. I need to make the bloody 50 mile cut-off instead of missing it by literally minutes… twice…

As you may guess, I am not in it to win it 😉

ton

many years ago, polaris held a 1 day special in the north yorks moors.
    a 100 mile preset route, that you had to mark up with the drid referances and follow.
    i took 16 hours to finish it…… 😳

that is a proper challenge on proper mountain bike terrain.
    anyone fancy it?

oldnpastit

Could be tempted….

I did it the second year when it was lovely and dry, and then the year after that when it wasn’t, and I had mechanical issues and missed the 50 mile cut-off by a couple of minutes.

@ton: ?

michaelmcc
    Free Member

IoM 100 miler in July

Explain?

paul4stones

A link to the route? My most viewed pic on flickr from 2009, the first one.

My flickr

IIRC the route was broadly similar each year but subtly different. This was on display in the shop and I managed to sneak a picture a couple of weeks before the event on a recce.

I entered 3 out of 4 and completed 2, timed out at 80 miles in the third after a load of mechanicals and brake pads!

iomnigel
    Free Member

The Isle of Man event is called The Manx 100. http://www.manx100.com. 26th July 2015.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/manx-100-content-as-long-as-the-race

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/the-manx-100 (note Matt Jones comments on here re comparison to Kielder)

There are some forum posts and blogs about the 2014 event (third year running, won by Scott Cornish in 10hr 40 min) as well as some on the 2013 event (won by Rich Rothwell in 9hr 40 min (easier route)).

Scott’s blog

http://www.mulebar.com/blogs/muleblog/15032293-the-manx-100-a-race-report-by-mule-scott-cornish

Ricahrd’s blog (short his story was actually an article in Privateer)

http://www.richyroth.com/the-manx-100-and-privateer/

Matt Jones blog

Manx100

Andy Howett

http://andrewhowett.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-manx-100-and-bit.html

Sure there are others to which I apologise for missing !

2015 will be similar format to 2014, with some tweaks on the route. Start and finish is at the Grandstand. Top 3 finish will get you on the TT podium 🙂

100km option (3250m of climbing) as well.

£40 if you enter before end of December.

You can come over on the boat as a foot passenger with your bike (which travels free). B&B’s / hotels in Douglas to suit all budgets. Start around 1 mile from the centre of Douglas.

If the website (www.manx100) doesnt answer your queries, please contact me nigel@manxmtb.com.

Nigel

fatboyjon

I don’t see the appeal of going back to do this at all. Probably the least enjoyable event I’ve ever ridden right from the horrendous midges on the camping field, through the pre race telling off in the briefing because “our marshalls will not tolerate any abuse from riders” to the most boring route. Mile after mile of fire road. I abandoned at the halfway stage and went off in search of singletrack in the forest and had a much better ride from then onwards. Long rides rule but not that one.

ton

also did a 2 day polaris event in keilder.
    it is a godforsaken boring hellhole to ride your bike in.

Drac

our marshalls will not tolerate any abuse from riders”

Blame those that one year gave the young marshalls a mouthful of abuse, the rule had to come in to stop it happening again.

daleftw
    Free Member

Cheers Drac.

Nigel – That does look interesting…

michaelmcc
    Free Member

to the most boring route. Mile after mile of fire road

It’s 100 miles. It wouldn’t be realistic to have much more singletrack. People were already finishing in the darkness after starting at 6.30 am.

Murr
    Free Member

was hoping the guy’s that organize the border raid were going to announce a come back for the kielder100 but nothing more has been said on there web page, still waiting for the announcement.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

That IOM100 website is truly awful on my phone, white text on white background.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

AFAIK the K100 was dropped by the forestry commision as it was simply too hard to manage/insure etc. I doubt it’ll be coming back, but I’ll ask a man who will know.

If you fancy something epic in the North (East) I may be organising the North Pennines MTB Marathon again if I can get a bit of support for it. In negotiations with some big names at the moment…

Drac

AFAIK the K100 was dropped by the forestry commision as it was simply too hard to manage/insure etc. I doubt it’ll be coming back, but I’ll ask a man who will know.

The FC didn’t manage or insure it.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

No, but they hosted it and had the final say. Which in this case was “no”.

christhetall
    Free Member

It’s 100 miles. It wouldn’t be realistic to have much more singletrack. People were already finishing in the darkness after starting at 6.30 am.

My first attempt (2011) was grim, miserable and frustrating, but I really enjoyed it in 2012. Maybe it was down to the conditions but there seemed to be far more interesting trail than I was expecting. As I finished in just under 12 hours I’d say they got the balance just right.

I get the impression the FC did support the event as a means on encouraging people to visit the area and for that they should be applauded – it’s far better than running events in over-crowded areas like the Peak or the Lakes. Unfortunately for many people – myself included – it was the sort of event you’d do once. I think there were very few people signed up for 2013 when it was pulled.

I would like to go back and ride some of those trails again sometime – just not in midge season.

miketually
    Free Member

I finished the first and second runnings, but just missed the first checkpoint in year three. I really ‘enjoyed’ it and thought it was a great event but, as a non-driver, I didn’t manage to organise a lift up there for the fourth running.

will
    Free Member

Really pleased I did this in what I think was the best year weather wise (2012) It was tough, I had quite a few mechanicals, but enjoyed it!

Drac

The FC did support the event I’m not sure who ir_bandito’s source is but they’re not very accurate. There was several reasons why it stopped, main one being a lack of enteries

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Unfortunately for many people – myself included – it was the sort of event you’d do once.

+1

Really glad I did it – but the long trip up from the south, the amount of fire-road and the midges meant that it was only ever likely to be a “just to say you’ve done it” for me.

Plus the fantastic weather (2010) meant I didn’t really want to push my luck after hearing the horror stories from 2009!

I’d imagine that, by 2013, pretty much everyone who wanted to “just say they’d done it” had done so – hence the low entry.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think Gee’s unofficial Surrey 100 was mostly singletrack?

offthebrakes
    Free Member

I’m not sure Gee’s Surrey 100 ever actually got raced did it? Cancelled due to bad conditions, and never rearranged, at least not publicly.

Or maybe I just wasn’t told 😉

ac282

100 miles in a day with a lot of singletrack is do-able if you are strong.

An event based on a route like that would have have very few entrants and even fewer finishers.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Checked up, and got the answer:

“The organisers found it to be to expensive to run, they didnt get enough early entries to start the planning and book the equipment.

Nothing to do with us, bike events can take place, just need to apply, we are only the landowner.”

So there you go, it could happen again after all.

warton
    Free Member

Given the lack of entries in the other XC events at Kielder, I doubt there’ll be much happening up there anytime soon.

Drac

Checked up, and got the answer:

“The organisers found it to be to expensive to run, they didnt get enough early entries to start the planning and book the equipment.

Nothing to do with us, bike events can take place, just need to apply, we are only the landowner.”

Yeah hate to say it but told you so. It’s almost as if I had some sort of involvement with it.

boxelder

I hear it could be making a return…..

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

I really fancied trying it but failed to get myself together before it stopped so I’d be really pleased if it comes back.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Kielder 100 back on for 2015?….. Anyone?’ is closed to new replies.