Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Kid/family friendly MTB locations in the Alps
  • dynoben
    Free Member

5 minutes into the new year and we’re already starting to plan our summer Alps trip but are not sure where will cater well for a bunch of ankle biters as well as meeting our MTB fix.
    We tend to go with a number of other families with young kids (<4 years old) and share a large, self-catering chalet then share out the childcare so we can all get out biking at some point in the day. Last summer we were in Morzine but timed it very bad with 2 weeks of torrential rain in July so we’re keen to head somewhere a bit different.

The wife’s check-list is:
    – MTB riding straight out the door
    – outdoor swimming pool for the kids
    – enough trails for a couple of weeks of part-time riding

Any ideas?

alpin
    Free Member

Lake Garda.

drive or fly.

plenty of villas around or campsites. lots of biking and walking for little ones (well, the walking for the kids, biking for the blokes). enough pretty villages to visit along the shore. boat trips for the kids. and of course the lake with its beaches and pedalos.

or lake Como.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I would second Lake Garda. You have much better weather than the French side, Italian flair in the towns and some descending to die for (literally in some cases). The only downside is that most of the trails are not with chairlift access. But for me that is an upside.

If you want more XC trails then Bardolino (the routes designed by Paulo Pezzo) or if you want something more technical then the north end of the lake (Riva).

globalti
    Free Member

Megeve, no contest.

1 hour from Geneva.
    Incredibly pretty village centre.
    Empty in summer as all the French go to the beach.
    FANTASTIC indoor/outdoor municipal pool.
    Massive selection of accommodation.
    Lifts starting from centre with easy rides possible in all directions.
    One week lift pass (around £40 each) gives use of lifts, shuttle buses, swimming pool and about 20 runs down the dry bobsleigh run.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Was Morzine not suitable for what you want? and you were just a bit unlucky with the weather? as let’s face it Alpine weather is very hit and miss.

I haven’t looked into it as I don’t have kids but what about Chamonix, Les Arcs? Verbier?

Selled
    Free Member

http://www.reither-almen.at

Ticks all your boxes.

More info on the area have a look at

http://www.alpbachtal.at

I am nearby, always happy to show people my favourite trails !

nasher
    Free Member

What about Liguria Italy.

Our location may not be perfect as we are based in a medieval village in the mountains but there is also Finale Ligure with also great riding, shuttles and waymarked routes, there is of course beaches etc.. for the little uns.

If you want further info drop me a line

jedi

chamonix,
    outdoor pool, skatepark, kids fun park and amazing singletrack )

martinhutch

Selled – that looks fab. We’re also looking at a tour round the Tyrol/Italian Lakes/Dolomites this summer, and I might be allowed out on a quick ride if I find enough for my lot to do in the meantime…

What’s in the area or within a short drive for families to do? Can you hire a reasonable bike locally?

djflexure

We camped in the Cevennes last summer. Its west of the Alps. Climate was fantastic. Some great trails to explore but not particularly developed from a mtb perspective and not busy. Drop me a line if you are interested.Links give a flavour.

http://www.creme-de-languedoc.com/Languedoc/activities/mountain-biking.php

http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/Magazine/200907020.pdf

Selled
    Free Member

@Martin. Loads to do. Something that works well for me is to meet my wife and children at the top of the mountain where there are children’s play areas. They take the lift and I leave a couple of hours earlier on the bike. After we have finished playing they take the gondola and I go my way:)
    Anyway, there are also some great lakes for swimming, in or outdoor pools, huge play areas, summer sledging!, steam trains etc -> it’s a tourist area, there’s loads to do.
    Another thing that works well is that I get up early, get out on the bike for 3 or 4 hours, come home at 10ish and spend the rest of the day doing family stuff.
    One thing you need to know, mtb’ing over here is “normaly” following a wide track upto a hut for something to eat / drink and back down a similar way. Don’t expect to find the best single trail in guide books, you need local knowledge. Bike shops are the best start but talk to as many bikers as you can.
    My offer stands to anyone who is in this area, I am happy to show people some great trails, if I am not around then I would mark a map and leave it for you. Drop me a mail if you need more info.

Selled
    Free Member

Bike hire is also available.

dynoben
    Free Member

Thanks for all your replies. Megeve sounds interesting, and not far from Cham too.
    Anyone been to Val d’Isere?
    Was looking at Les Arc but wasn’t sure if any of the villages had enough facilities.
    Lake Garda also interesting but checked with the wife and she wants lift accessed trails.
    We’ve done a couple of trips to Morzine so with the rest of the alps to go at we don’t really want to back.
    Will check all those links when we get chance. Thanks again.

martinhutch

Cheers Selled. It all sounds fantastic, I can see there is loads in the area – whereabouts is the ‘summer sledging’ – is it an alpine slide type thing and is it suitable for kids?

Selled
    Free Member

Summer sledging is in the Zillertal, 20 mins drive. Not sure about age restrictions!

mick_r

Selled – I’ll drop you an email to save hijacking this thread! We are quite interested in your area – we stayed a bit further west in Pitztal in 2009 – it was OK but (as always) tricky to find good riding without local knowledge.

We’ve done Switzerland (Meiringen) a few times, but ended up employing a local guide for a few rides and map marking. Local signposting is useless – Swiss tourist offices seem to think mtb routes should be tarmac….

Chris-S
    Free Member

+1 for Megeve

Every type of riding available plus loads of other stuff to do and places to visit, Chamonix, Annecy Aix les Bains.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Kid/family friendly MTB locations in the Alps’ is closed to new replies.