Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 116 total)
  • Kennel owner kicked my dog
  • motorman
    Free Member

Went to pick up my dog from the boarding kennel yesterday after returning from holiday.
    Was talking to owner about training we doing when we meet other dogs as he gets really excited (1 Year old Choc lab), anyway, owner goes, no, no, no, that not how you do that, proceeds to put a choker lead on him, walks him round the paddock, when he started to pull a wee bit she yanked him back & put the boot 😯 Couldn’t believe what i was seeing, I know that it wasn’t a hard kick, but FFS! Is this how you look after other peoples dogs.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i would have said something and possibly reported them to the rspca

TooTall
    Free Member

How do you deal with your dog when he pulls?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

If it works and the dog isn’t hurt then its a result.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Why is your dog getting really excited / pulling on its lead at a year old? Does it need a firmer hand in training?

globalti
    Free Member

If your dog is going to behave and not become a nuisance you’ve got to assert your position in the pack. That means you’ve got to teach it that you are the top dog (it doesn’t see any difference between you, your family and itself) and if that means treating it a little roughly from time to time (the equivalent of a hard nip) so be it. Never let your dog eat before you and the family. Never let your dog precede you through a doorway and never let your dog sleep in the safest place in the house, your bedroom – it must sleep near the door, in the utility room or even outside in the porch where it will be the one to defend you and the family if an intruder comes.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Dogs are animals – they should not be treated like people.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

TJ, you don’t kick dogs. Not ever. You dont need ‘a firm hand’. You just need to know the right technique.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

some of you really are talking shite. kicking a dog is never justified, and its not a way to train any animal.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I can’t believe I’m reading some of this bullshit above. Bye.

yunki
    Free Member

I love dog threads on here.. they always bring out the very worst sanctimonious attitudes in people..

santacoops
    Free Member

Not sure the OP was asking for training advice but sounds like a happy lab at a year old. There’s plenty more time for training. My dog and his buddy are pleased to see other dogs and they’re well trained, they just love saying hello. Imo its a dog with a bit of personality, so long as he knows where he sits in the pecking order.

If someone kicked my dog though, I’d probably kick him back myself! 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

Never let your dog precede you through a doorway and never let your dog sleep in the safest place in the house, your bedroom

yes if you do this it will almost deffo kill you , your family and then a a baby robin
    TBH it depends on the dog and the situation but if someone kicked my dog for pulling on a lead , and a paid professional I would be having serious words with them.
    Yunki is correct

globalti
    Free Member

The OP wrote that it wasn’t a hard kick. He and some others are reacting emotionally to the notion of kicking a human, entirely different from a moderate assertion of authority over a dog, which must learn that it is subordinate to humans in the pecking order. If it doesn’t, it will become the kind of dog that snarls defensively when there’s food around or worse, attacks a child who tries to take away its favourite toy.

flatfish
    Free Member

TJ knows nowt about dogs shocker.
    Was that the headline in the last NOTW?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Why is the bedroom the safest room in the house ?

I feel pretty safe in the bathroom or kitchen.

Drac

My dog’s not going to be happy about not being allowed in the Panic room.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Love the attacks on me. Did you guys not notice the question marks? MY post was two questions.

Dogs need to be trained, the best trained dogs I have seen have known that the human is boss and occasionally that has had to be reinforced with a clout or the threat of one.

winston_dog
    Free Member

A 1 yr old lab pulls on the lead! Put it down – it will be a childs face next. What a devil dog!

FFS – its still a puppy – it was excited when being collected from the kennels.

I would of kicked the kennel owner if they had kicked my dog.
    I thought choker leads were something left behind in 1985?

epicyclo

Was it a proper kick or a firm prod?

There are points where dogs need physical discipline to make a point. They do it themselves to sort things out when a growl doesn’t work. But there is absolutely no need to hurt them, just get their attention in a way they understand.

Here’s a clue to where you stand in a dog relationship. If your dog is dragging you along on the lead, you’re the beta, and the reason the dog doesn’t obey your commands is because it doesn’t take orders from underlings.

But as santacoops says – if someone kicked my dog, I’d kick him back. 🙂

(I’m relearning all this – currently owned by a 12 week old Great Dane/Wolfhound X pup.)

bullheart
    Free Member

I’m all up for pack dominance and agree with choke chains as a method of control, but if someone needs to kick a dog in order to assert authority and establish a pecking order, they shouldn’t have one. I’ve had several difficult dogs in my life, and I’ve never had to kick them to control them.

I’d have a word personally. What do they do when a dog really misbehaves?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

Love the attacks on me.

If you’re going to behave and not become a nuisance, we’ve got to assert your position in the pack. If that means treating you a little roughly from time to time (the equivalent of a hard nip) so be it.

You know that a good kicking every now and again does you the world of good TJ.

Andy

LOL @ Ernie 😆

flatfish
    Free Member

My six year old springer still pulls but will stop whatever hes doing with a one word command.
    Choker chains are un-nessasary.
    My dog has never been kicked but has had small rap over his backside to let him know I’m the boss.
    When he was a small pup you have to be fairly firm but the main thing is to be consistent and never treat it as an equal. My BiL has a labradoodle which is so badly behaved because they try to reason with it rather than assert their authority, it is higher in the pecking order than their 9 year old daughter which horrifies me.

globalti
    Free Member

You HIT your dog? OMG, somebody call the RSPCA.

Seriously though, to answer another question; the bedroom is where the pack (you and the family) sleeps and in dog life is the middle of the pack. Subordinate dogs are not allowed to sleep with the pack, they have to sleep outside in the least safe place where they will be the first to be attacked by an intruder. This means the shed,the garage, the porch or by the back door. Did you ever see a farmer allowing his sheepdogs to sleep in the bedroom?

Some people on here really do lack the ability to think outside their little human box, don’t they?

roper
    Free Member

Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce to you,
    the CESAR!!!!!!!!
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rglmFNvTOrU&feature=related[/video]

heckler73
    Free Member

i give my weimaraner the odd backwards “tap” on back legs if he is pulling whilst walking, never use a choker, well caesar millan does it on tv, his book is a good read,

popstar
    Free Member

Just watch few series of Cesar, and dog is sorted. Some kick dogs to take over control but all you have to do is ground offending bastid by it’s neck.

I had a physically tough trained German boxer and boy that was a good clown. Never managed to ground or catch him. He was happy to pull me on a bicycle for miles though. Miss that jolly dog.

But yeah, how do you expect to control overexcited dog? Blame yourself for your own stupidity of not providing dogs required excercise. Once their energy drained they behave and do whatever you like them to. Or at least when you do get a dog, research about their breed and choose one accordingly to match yourself. Never understood a lazy person getting Jack Russel and moaning about all antiques it’s doing.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…..where they will be the first to be attacked by an intruder. This means the shed,the garage, the porch or by the back door.

I thought it was the leader of the pack what did all the defending and seeing off intruders and challenges to their authority ?

Shouldn’t it be you that sleeps by the back door or in the garage, whilst your much less dominant pet dog sleeps safely tucked-up upstairs in bed ?

Drac

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGQt6GY8nKA[/video]

trailmonkey

Some people on here really do lack the ability to think outside their little human box, don’t they?

spot on. animal threads on here always bring out the same anthropomorphic drivel.

still wouldn’t let anyone kick my dog though.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Gosh, you know what? Even the best dog in the world gets excited sometimes and pulls on the lead. It’s a bit of an over-reaction to kick it though – just like some of the reactions in the thread. I’d be having a stern word.

Tip: If your dog pulls, keep standing in front of it till it sits down, then continue to walk. This can get a bit tedious, but it does work eventually (from experience).

Life is much easier if you have a dog that is obedient through wanting to please you rather than being afraid you’re going to kick the shit out of him.

piha
    Free Member

popstar – Member

But yeah, how do you expect to control overexcited dog? Blame yourself for your own stupidity of not providing dogs required excercise. Once their energy drained they behave and do whatever you like them to. Or at least when you do get a dog, research about their breed and choose one accordingly to match yourself. Never understood a lazy person getting Jack Russel and moaning about all antiques it’s doing.
    Posted 16 minutes ago # Report-Post

😆 😉

nedrapier
    Drac

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PAygdQuejs[/video]

TooTall
    Free Member

Given the OP has trouble expressing himself in the written form, we should probably wait out fo a clearer definition of ‘kick’. After all, a prod with a foot could be construed as a kick.

anagallis_arvensis

problem is most people think that Cesar Milan is helpful and he’s not he’s very dangerous. The original posters problem is that the dog wasnt trained properly from the start.

No one on here seems to agree with me but dogs are not pack animals and they dont need to be dominated and no amount of walking through a door first can replace a goodreward based training.

nedrapier

dogs are not pack animals

eh?

I haven’t heard anyone agree with that, ever! How do you work that out?

Woody
    Free Member

After all, a prod with a foot could be construed as a kick.

Very true – I occasionally have to give mine a little ‘tap’ (and I mean ‘tap’) as a gentle reminder to behave. There is no force involved but it has the desired effect due to it being unexpected contact.

Junkyard
    Free Member

dogs were once/come from pack animals but domestication [15,000 years ago] and selective breeding has altered much of these instincts.
    We are apes they are canines. It does not mean we live like monkeys or dogs live/act like wolves.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘Kennel owner kicked my dog’ is closed to new replies.