Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Keep Calm and Carry On – The Story
  • Drac

So many parodies of this now and many republished images of it but here is the story of how it was rediscovered, literally around the corner from me.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrHkKXFRbCI[/video]

AndyP
    Free Member

THE most overused anything, ever. Death to all parodies and re-hashes.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Can’t watch the vid now, but it was at Barter Books in Alnwick was it not?

Drac

It is AndyP and I’m sure I read the guy who found it has some annoyances abut that.

Indeed it was PP.

GrahamS

AndyP
    Free Member

That looks a great shop. I feel the need to sink into a big leather armchair with a cup of tea and a dusty tome now.

It is AndyP and I’m sure I read the guy who found it has some annoyances abut that. Although, the woman who owned every last original poster was on Antiques Roadshow a wee while back and it seems that they have a fair little nest-egg on their hands…pros and cons, right!

Drac

It’s a great shop Andy, I don’t use anyway near as much as I should but I’m not a great book reader. The wife goes every Friday with her friend for soup and coffee in the tearoom says it’s excellent and cheap.

Yeah they probably have but it’ll not bother them, they bought the place and setup the business as the guy is obsessed with trains and old books. It’s lovely place to have a mooch around.

z1ppy

Everydays a school day, didn’t know about it’s origins.
    Cheers

z1ppy

The only thing I knew about it:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15014748

donsimon
    Free Member

Frankie says don’t overuse it.

meehaja
    Free Member

I’ve been there. Too many books, couldn’t really find anything I wanted. The castle was really expensive and the “toxic garden” was a bit of a let down and the guides knowledge was sketchy at best. Had some nice food in the square though and on the whole really enjoyed our holiday up there.

Carry on.

Drac

Hundreds of them isn’t there.

Castle is pretty expensive but worth a visit, I’ve never been in the poison garden. I usually get an annual pass for the gardens as it’s great place to take the kids. But now there both at school I’ve not bothered for the last year or so. The poison gardens I hear mix reviews about it most say it’s worth going but nothing special. The town itself is slowly redeveloping, it has a long way to go but certainly improving from what it was. Overall it’s a nice town, not my home town but lived here now for 17 years.

aracer
    Free Member

Have to admit I hadn’t even realised this was such a modern phenomenon – strange how these memes creep up on you. Have done a bit of reading around on the trademark thing – that Mark Coop bloke is a bit of a **** isn’t he?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/8785585/Battle-rages-over-Keep-Calm-and-Carry-On-souvenirs.html
    http://ww2poster.co.uk/2011/09/keepcalmandcarryon-statement-from-barter-books/

Drac

Hahaha had to laugh at him claiming it was his idea at the end the BBC video.

No you marketed something created over 70 years ago once you seen what other people were doing. I’ve had a T-shirt with it on for about 6 or 7 years now, maybe more.

zippykona

We sell that stuff in our shop and we keep thinking its had its day. No its as popular as ever.
    We would clean up if it said keep calm and have a meerkat. I hate meerkat stuff more than anyone could hate keep calm.
    Aaaaaagh.

aracer
    Free Member

zippykona – I think you need to keep calm.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Drac, my mum went to college in the castle in the 60s and my parents retired to Alnwick some years ago. My mum used to run guided tours round the gardens and my dad can often be found in the Lions shop in town 🙂

Drac

Never knew you had connections, then again why would I, the Lions ay know a few of them to say hello to but that’s about it. Well next time your up give me a shout if you fancy a ride somewhere.

GrahamS

I visited Alnwick Garden with the in-laws a while ago.
    Did the Poison Garden tour:

Guide (pointing to a bush locked in a cage): “Does anyone know what this is?”

Me (quick as a flash, not thinking): “Cannabis.”

Father-in-Law: 😯

Me: 😳

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

[homer simpson]

dooooo(pe)

[/homer simpson]

Reminds me of an incident in my car,

Mum :whats this, why have you got packets of rolling tobaco and papers in the seats?

Me (driving): ohh, it must be *insert fellow STW’ers name who I’d given a lit to the weekend before*

GF: haha, it’s *editied to protect the guilty*

Me: naaa it’ll just be tobaco, I’l give it him back next week (quickly pocketing the offeding ‘rolling tobaco’ and changeing the conversation quickly)

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The Dawkins version is brilliant. 😆

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Keep Calm and Carry On – The Story’ is closed to new replies.