• This topic has 21 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • K-Edge chain device…
  • z1ppy

Anyone got one and want to review it?
    Does it stay in place, or does it swivel round and move out of place easily? Awkward to fit into the right location?

wwaswas

Got my son one of these for his new Cotic build;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/k-edge-dirt-acs-chain-device/

he managed to bend it where the larger ‘catcher’ thing sits on his first ride.

I’m fairly certain I fitted it properly and the gears were adjusted ok.

So, maybe it saved his frame from chain suck or maybe it just doesn;t work. I’m not quite sure.

Which, in summary, isn;t much help really, I’m sorry.

z1ppy

… heh 😀
    That a real world experience though, what I really want.
    If it stays in place, I think it would extend chainset life, as excessive chainsuck is normally the reason I bin gears.

wwaswas

It stayed put and bent rather than rotating so it did it’s job from that perspective. I’ve just bent it back but I’m not sure it’ll take repeated abuse.

mysterymove
    Free Member

I have one, the chains come off once when I had the bike in pieces in the car it did its job so well I couldn’t get the thing back on with out taking it off!

In use – never noticed it being there, never lost the chain – so i guess it works…

Ben

z1ppy

Well I’ll update this thread as there isn’t a whole lot of info about them on the web…

My experience, after buying it cheap from wiggle with a voucher: two rides in and the thing has shifted round the BB twice, jamming up behind the front mech, and it was impossible to move until the BB was undone. After the 1st time, I positioned the device lower than suggested (parallel to the chainline), so that the rear of the device actually sat past one of the ISCG mounts and would have to be forced over it to twist round… it managed this, by tearing the aluminum of the device.
    So I’ve put it back on, tighten up the BB as much as I dare and am hoping it might stay in place. I don’t believe it will though

It is a pity as I think it’s a great idea, as I right-off my chainsets when the local sand gums up the chain and sprockets, causing major chainsuck. I managed this year to get out of the winter just as the chainsucking started, with the advent of the dry weather the chainsuck issue cleared up and I’ve used the same supposedly dead chainset all summer..

Though if anyone got a 5/6cm strip of steel I can attach on one of my ISCG mounts, to then attach to the device via one of the pins, it might work…

anyway bugger! 😥

z1ppy

Picture of the device’s final fate, before I returned it and received a full refund.

wwaswas

that’s what happened to my sons one. He’s not ridden much but I suspect it’ll go the way of this one before long.

z1ppy

It’s a shame, as I did want it to work. 😳

mttm
    Free Member

Hmmm – interested in that “full refund” bit. Mine self destructed when called upon to fullfil its primary function, and strangely it never crossed my mind to get a refund. I still have the twisted bit of alloy somewhere…

partyboy
    Free Member

Mine has worked flawlessly…..so far

Zippy, to be fair yours looks far from well adjusted, the inner puck is miles away from the granny ring. Any why would you need one on what looks like a raised stay bike???

alexpalacefan

+1 for Zippy’s experience. Mine’s only been called into action once, the whole device rotated, the puck shifted and the chain jammed between it and the chain ring. Major trail-side ball ache to get it running.

It’s back in place now, fitted with much loctite. We’ll wait and see what happens, but I don’t have much faith 🙁

APF

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve got the older, simpler type which just stops you dropping the chain when changing down to the granny. Works very well. Like this:

stumpy01

Hmmm, was going to get one of these. Probably won’t bother now.

z1ppy

Zippy, to be fair yours looks far from well adjusted

You do understand that picture is of the device twisted out of shape?
    What does raised stay a have to do with chainsuck? No it won’t hit the stay when sucking, but chain suck still occurs locking up the drivetrain, damaging the stays is just a side issue. Obviously it’s a very annoying side issue when your stays are dented/torn up but it doesn’t cause chainsuck or mean it doesn’t happen.

mttm: I read some-where (on here?) that some-one had returned there and got a refund, I was dubious especially after an enquiry email to Wiggle said it would be inspected and only refunded if they judged it was faulty. Though even with a voucher the best part of £20+ being binned in 4 rides was annoying.

Again I repeat, I wish it had worked, but in my experience with one it doesn’t.

PolisherMan

Worked fantastically for me…until the chain got gritty. Then it chewed up my frame, got stuck and bent, oh and it trashed the chain.

Apart from that it’s a really good idea. 😈

Northwind

I’ve stuck a bolt through the backing plate of my Blackspire Stinger to do the same job. It does sometimes rotate round the BB but it’s stopped the chain from getting jammed behind the chainstay so that’s a good tradeoff.

But then, the backplate of a Stinger is made out of a massive slab of aluminium and is pretty damn tough.

I wouldn’t bother normally, but one of my bikes can jam itself up something rotten if the chain sucks while the suspension’s compressed, so this is better.

emanuel
    Free Member

Got the older model,the one reggie posted pics of.
    been on a hustler for about a year,used to get a bit of chainsuck now and again,haven’t since I fitted it.
    hasn’t rotated,though it did when I fitted it.so I tightened it up anyway,then rotated it back with a rubber mallet.
    expensive though.but it works.

alexpalacefan

Mine was called into action last night, and ended up just like Zippys’. Seems to me that the design is flawed.

Back to Wiggle it goes 🙁

Shame ‘coz I wanted it to work.

APF

alexpalacefan

Just had notification from Wiggle, full refund, plus postage. Great service, cheers.

APF

z1ppy

I did send K-edge a comment via there website, asking for a stainless steel version… they’ve not come back to me 😕
    Glad I could point ppl towards wiggle’s ‘enlightened’ return’s policy though.

DT78
    Free Member

Same experiences as others above. First ride, 2 miles in, first episode of chainsuck and the thing got completely mangled and ripped out the largest ‘stop’.

Wiggle also refunded. Sure I wrote a little review on wiggles site warning perspective buyers that they are a one use item.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘K-Edge chain device…’ is closed to new replies.