Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Just when I was thinking of going to Campag
  • ourmaninthenorth

I’m down to two drop-barred bikes – CX and carbon road. CX is Centaur, road is Ultegra.

Was just thinking of switching to Campag on the road bike, when I saw this email from Ribble with rather attractive Ultegra Di2 pricing.

rusty90
    Free Member

Never mind Ultegra, you want Campag EPS[quote]As much a technological marvel as work of exquisite sculpture rendered in carbon fiber[/quote]Of course it’s not available to mortals yet, and when it is it will be the price of a small house, but it’s Italian.

Digger90
    Free Member

In the Camoag – Shimano wars I’m definitely on the side of Campag.

Used Shimano Durac Ace for 10yrs, switched to Campag Record 2yrs ago for a change… will NEVER go back. It’s just so much better.

mrmo
    Free Member

if your willing to wait

athena eps

ribble advertising it already

rusty90
    Free Member

Athena is alloy and plastic, not carbon, and due to released in 2013. So I wouldn’t send Ribble my £281.16 (for just the rear mech!) quite yet if I were you 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Campag sucks the boabie.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Of course it’s not available to mortals yet

It is on sale in a shop in Majorca, Ciclos Gomilla. 550 euros for the rear mech! Couldn’t see prices for the other bits but tbh it was of no consequence. 😐

rusty90
    Free Member

Primera Sports are advertising the Super Record EPS groupset as available – for the bargain price of £3,464.87

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Has “he” been in here yet to tell us that electronic shifting is rubbish? Oh look, he hasn’t. He’d be wrong, anyway.

Until SRAM release their version of it (watch this space), Shimano’s Di2 stuff is the badger’s nadgers. One of the best innovations in shifting I’ve ever used.

njee20
    Free Member

Until SRAM release their version of it (watch this space), Shimano’s Di2 stuff is the badger’s nadgers. One of the best innovations in shifting I’ve ever used.

+1

Not life changing, by any stretch, but it does work extremely well. I’d have Ultegra Di2 over mechanical Dura Ace now I reckon.

FOG

The Ribble offer is gears only, no chainset?
    Does anybody think any manufacturer[shimano presumably] would dare try MTB electric shifting? XC racing types might think it useful although I think most ordinary riders would be very nervous of such a system.
    Would it be possible to seal servo operated mechs enough to keep the crap out?

ourmaninthenorth

Yes, the Super Record EPS is the same price as a C59 frameset, which is pretty much the only place a MAMIL would dare put such equipment.

I guess I’m going to be a later adopter, when the systems are further refined.

Electronic MTB – why not. It’s really only the Brits who have a thing about riding MTBs through mud and rain. I reckon it’s a winner.

njee20
    Free Member

Does anybody think any manufacturer[shimano presumably] would dare try MTB electric shifting? XC racing types might think it useful although I think most ordinary riders would be very nervous of such a system.

Plenty of people running it on MTBs, either as is, or converted with something like the K-Edge set up. The Fairwheel Bikes sequential shifting ‘brain’ was a great idea.

Chris who owns Mountain Trax has had Dura Ace Di2 on a Yeti ASR for a couple of years, Ben Thomas raced it quite a lot early last year and said it was really good.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Just when I was thinking of going to Campag’ is closed to new replies.