Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • just ordered 4 sets of Superstar brake pads……
  • iainc

……… XT ones, sintered, for about £25…..

I know they had a bad reputation a while ago, here’s hoping they are good now…

😛

scaredypants

I’ve just had some toast

always good

mrjmt
    Free Member

I just planned to go get a coffee and a blueberry muffin.

Then realised I’ve forgotten my wallet and had to eat an apple.

Also I can’t get that BBQ cover I planned to buy at lunch now.

thepurist

I just filed my tax return for 2012.

richmtb

Iain

Do you remember just before xmas we went to Mugdock and my brakes were squealing like a stuck pig. Those were superstar kevlar pads. 4 set lasted me about 6 months and I’ve not really been riding that much.

Maybe the sintered will be better!

wwaswas

just ordered 4 sets of Superstar brake pads……

you’ll need the spares 😉

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have never had a problem with them. I think I buy the sintered, not sure. They might ware down faster than OEM pads but they are a quarter of the price.

iainc

ah well, will report back assuming I don’t bury myself headfirst into the trail !

bristolbiker
    Free Member

You might as well have given the thread the title “I like Marmite – how about you?”

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/superstar-kevlar-pads-opinions

iainc

bristolbiker – some mixed opinions on that thread as you say. Sintered do seem to come out best though…

Keef
    Free Member

should’ve gone to Disco….

hora
    Free Member

I needed spare pads the night before my ride and had to pay 19.99 for one pair from Evans Cycles. Never again.

mrjmt
    Free Member

should’ve gone to Disco….

I normally us SSC pads, but might try disco next. I ordered some pedals from them on Tues, came yesterday. Well, thats as good a reason as any you’ll get on here!

AlasdairMc

TJ to the forum!!

onewheelgood

I bought 4 sets of Superstar XT sintered pads 2 years ago. I fitted the first set. I’m still using them, and wondering why the hell I bought 4 sets.

onewheelgood

I needed spare pads the night before my ride and had to pay 19.99 for one pair from Evans Cycles. Never again.

Same. Except that they sold me the wrong ones and I didn’t notice until I got home.

enfht
    Free Member

The red Kevlar pads are superb

Milkie
    Free Member

Superstar brake pads….

seavers
    Free Member

I have some (Avid fit) front and back….second set after the original Avid ones… No real complaints, for the price they have performed quite well but tbh I can’t now remember how the Avids were in comparison.

I seem to remember bleeding and setting up the calipers when i switched. You won’t die like!

emac65
    Free Member

+1-shudda gone to Disco……..

Northwind

I went Disco, but they turned out to be not particularily good, as well as more expensive than Superstar.

gingerss
    Free Member

I’ve used superstar pads as well as disco. The disco pads didn’t fit properly and wore down extremely quickly, even for organic. I’ve not tried the superstar organic pads, just sintered. I don’t think they last as well as Hope OEM, but they work out cheaper overall. No reliability issues to date apart from the spreader isn’t as strong as the Hope one.

I don’t think avid pads tend to last very well compared to Hope and maybe others, so superstar probably compare even more favourably.

nick1962
    Free Member

I usually use SS sintered on all my bikes,long lasting,no complaints.Have just got 4 sets of Kevlar this time for a change.Not fitted them yet so my post is only slightly more helpful than the OP.If they are rubbish I will let Northwind’s tyres down for his positivity about them on the other thread 😉

Northwind

Seems fair.

_tom_
    Free Member

My mates SS Hayes pads came off the backing. I’ve been using them in my Juicy 5s for years now and never had any problems.

mrelectric

Been using SS for 5 years+. No comparison on value/price or on service that I’ve found. Used sintered until the last year which last months even in Yorkshire grit-paste but they do squeal when wet (frightens the horses – literally – (which is a bad thing, I’m sure you’ll agree)).

Moved to Kelvar as a compromise, and better grip I think. They’ve lasted a few months which is fine.
    Oh, just ordered 4 sets..so snap

unklehomered
    Free Member

cool… I’m on my second bottle of Rioja, and the fourth season of the West Wing.

never had a problem with SS….

bighendo
    Free Member

got me some superstar organic to replace the two bits of wood
    that come as standard with hope brakes,
    waaaay better!

Scapegoat

I’ve used them for years with no complaints…. Shimano, Hope Hayes and Avid, all organic.

sheikinvac
    Free Member

I’ve used the sintered pads for a while and found them ok. Sometimes they needed a bit of fettling to make them fit(Avid juicy)and they lasted a long time. They were fine for xc riding but scream like a banshee on long downhills and nothing I tried would cure it. I use Clarks organic pads in my code brakes for downhill and find them really good and cheap to replace when needed. Also tried the disco pads but found them very poorly made.

ninepack
    Free Member

I’ve just put the red SS kevlar on mine & wheeling it into the garage with light pressure on the brakes they were squealing. I just hope they shut the **** up once bedded in or I’ll be binning them.

Took OEM sintered pads off as I’d read the Kevlar were better for summer, and we’re headed to Luchon.

GaryBanham
    Free Member

I’ve been using them for AGES and they hardly wear down and I ride a fair bit, the only issue I have is wet weather (lack of) performance and the squeeelll they make 🙂

ninepack
    Free Member

Used my bike for the first time yesterday & for about 100 yards the kevlar pads made a hell of a racket but once under load & warm they were quiet as a mouse & the bike can stop on a postage stamp so I’m impressed thus far. My two week trip to the Pyrenees in Sept will see if they’re really up to it though I guess

FuzzyWuzzy

Just had to change my rear kevlars after around 18 months. I call BS on the guy using 4 sets in 6 months, unless you ride at Afan in the wet and drag your brakes all the time.

justatheory
    Free Member

ononeorange

I’ve just got into work.

Duggan

Fitted two brand new sets of SS pads to front and rear a couple of weeks ago at short notice.

Tried to bed them in on my way to a ride- spent a decent amount of time trying to bed the front in, had to rush the back.

The front pads seem fine, the rear pads lasted about 2 rides before they were totally spent. So I guess they are just particularly needy of a proper bedding in, more so than other pads? Would explain the massive range of opinions on them anyway.

wonnyj
    Free Member

They are the finest around and I wouldn’t go anywhere else (but i am a bit pikey)

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘just ordered 4 sets of Superstar brake pads……’ is closed to new replies.