Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Just been handed redundancy notice :(
  • sturider

Happy new year. 4 years as full time mechanic, salesman, at busy Skipton bike shop. Owner hands me my letter of doom explaining that he wants to run the shop with one employe (the current “manager”. Not f***king happy. Confused as to how a busy shop capable of keeping 2 employes working 9 till 5 can survive with one and continue to provide the same service mechanical and sales service wise.

munrobiker
    Free Member

If you can handle a move south to Sheffield I’ve just left a shop there yesterday to do something different so there’s a slot going.

Conversely, I’ve had to leave them in that situation- busy shop, only 1 full time shop floor member left.

rewski
    Free Member

That sucks, best of luck.

scud
    Free Member

Hope things work out for you mate, they always time these things well don’t they?

legend
    Free Member

Does the 60 consultation period not apply to small businesses?

steveh

As with legend there is a process they have to go through in order to make anyone redundant. Get some proper advice!

njee20
    Free Member

There are massive practical issues around that too (what happens if the sole employee needs the loo, or to get a drink, or get some food), great opportunity for stock to go walkies! Is the workshop on the shop floor? Surely one person can’t cover both areas.

I’m sure it’s not been done lightly, small consolation I know. Sure you’ll find something else.

allthepies
    Free Member

Does the 60 consultation period not apply to small businesses?

It’s 90 days and only for 20+ redundos.

Hope the OP finds something else soon.

nmdbase
    Free Member

Depending on the length of employment there is a process they have to go through.

the-muffin-man

Bad news sturider, hope you get a new job soon.

njee20 – I would guess its now going to be shop owner + 1 mechanic, rather than shop owner + 2 mechanics.

P7Pro

sturider. Contact all the local bike shops in your area. Good luck.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have to say, I wouldn’t have posted that much detail on here. Still, good luck with finding something new!

rucknar
    Free Member

@sturider – Is Sheffield too far for you? If not then this sounds like a great opportunity that @munrobiker has offered you!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Just been handed redundancy notice :(’ is closed to new replies.