Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Jumping on that trail-bike bandwagon – Commencal Meta AM
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

Was getting a bit beat up on my XC/jump bike (Giant STP), and the FR/DH bike (Transition Bottlerocket) wasn’t getting the use it deserved, so decided to sell both and see what all the hype about enduro/trail bikes was all about..

Built up a 2013 Meta AM VIP frame, full spec list below.

Only ridden it a couple times so far (one being Christmas shoot with Laurence CE, keep an eye out for the results from that!), but love it so far. Want to swap the tyres out for some Rubber Queens for more trail type riding (the Barons are great for DH). Also, trying carbon bars for the first time as I get quite bad finger pains, shall see how they do.

Otherwise, love it, love having a Reverb, 1×10, and a very sturdy yet lightweight bike, which seems like it will be ace for trails, DH, jumpy stuff, bit of everything really!

Frame: 2013 Commencal Meta AM VIP large
    Fork: Fox Float 34 CTD Kashima
    Shock: Fox Float CTD Kashima
    Headset: Hope Mix ‘n Match
    Seat clamp: Salsa Flip Lock

Brakes: Shimano SLX
    Disk rotors: Shimano XT (180/180)
    R/Shifter: Shimano XTR iSpec
    R/Mech: Shimano XT Shadow+ 10sp
    Cassette: Shimano XT 10sp
    Cranks: Shimano XT
    Chainguide: e.13 LG1+
    Chainring: e.13 Guide Ring 34T
    Chain: SRAM 1071 10sp

Bars: Easton Havoc Carbon 31.8mm
    Stem: Thomson X4 50mm
    Pedals: Exotics flats
    Grips: Oury Lockons
    Seatpost: Reverb 125mm
    Seat: Madison Flux

Wheels: Hope Pro2 Evo / Stans Flow EX
    Tyres: Continental Baron 2.4
    Extras: HeliTape protection and Marsh Guard

Northwind

Very nice that… Could do with black forks 😉

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Swoon!

Where’d you buy it then?

svalgis
    Free Member

Nice build, and nice frame! Love the colours and graphics on those.

madjak
    Free Member

Admittedly I’m a Meta fan but that is really nice.

hora
    Free Member

Must admit that looks very nice. Expensive????

RustyMac

The colour would not be my first choice but the bike looks ace. Hope you are going to get it good and dirty over the holidays, the barons look like they should work pretty well in the mud.

nosedive
    Free Member

nice. what does it weigh?

jools182
    Free Member

i like it

hora
    Free Member

If I didn’t see the above colour on a bike. I’d have gone for something neutral. Seeing it though -definitely this colour.

Tom83

Very nice! Liking the colour.

RustyMac

It is just because i am a micer and could in no way justify a lairy coloured bike.

ask1974
    Free Member

Yep, just about perfect that is… On purely aesthetic grounds pretty much nothing I would change, nice work.

turtleheading
    Free Member

Nice, apart from all that much thats going to be flung into the rear shock!

Duane…
    Free Member

Cheers all 🙂

I chose the spec, bought a couple bits myself, and got the rest through One Planet Adventure at Llandegla, who built it up for me.

Can just make it up on the close-up shot of the rear wheel, there is a neoprene shock cover.

And yes, it is very lairy haha, just need to ride faster to justify it!

Duane…
    Free Member

Oh, it weighs 32lbs, bit more than I was hoping for, but new tyres should take a bit off that.

Bigger pics here (select size on right);
    http://www.pinkbike.com/u/minimole/album/My-bikes/

beb

Sweet build!! Have you weighed it??

Enjoy!!

beb

Simultaneous post – You read my mind!

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Lovely looking bike and nice photos too.

Can anyone report on the effectiveness of the neoprene shock cover on these bikes? I keep looking at these, but the shock position puts me off a bit.

Duane…
    Free Member

Hopefully riding today, so will let you know.

Here’s a pic of my first ride on the bike (apart from around a carpark that same evening)!

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/9029558/

😀

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Can anyone report on the effectiveness of the neoprene shock cover on these bikes? I keep looking at these, but the shock position puts me off a bit.

Yes, nothing gets on the shock at all.

nickyg1987
    Free Member

Really nice bike!! Health to enjoy!!! Would you not have considered a 29er tho??

kimbers

nice bike and great spec list btw!

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Yes, nothing gets on the shock at all.

Cheers Hob Nob.

iain1775
    Free Member

Lovely looking bike and nice photos too.

Very effective, 3 of the muddiest rides I’ve ever done in my life, at Farmer Johns, Antur Stiniog and the Peaks
    Reverb packed up, seat clamp seized up, still can’t get my shoes clean.
    Shock stayed clean
    Very expensive though for what they are, have to get shock cover direct from Commencal in France, postage not cheap
    I’d tried an old inner tube previously and the proper guard is far far better

DrP

Yeah – that’s the nicest bike I’ve seen in a long time….!

DrP

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Met a guy called Ian who had one at Woburn the other week. He said that the only down side was the matt paint was a bugger to clean.
    Other than that – it looked bloody lovely.
    Can’t help thinking that some (many/most/all but the real fittest of enthusiasts) won’t cope with 1×10 in an All Mountain situation & will want the 2×10 version tho.

Duane…
    Free Member

Just went for a quick ride, very wet so was more wet mud rather than gloopy stuff or rocks. The shock body was splashed quite a bit, shaft was obviously cleaned every time it compressed.

There was a lot of stuff stuck to the shock guard though so it still did a fair bit.

Not too worried to be honest.

CR- yeah 1×10 isn’t the easiest up steeper hills, but I’m used to 1×9 so I’ve gone from a 34 to 36T rear sprocket which is nice. Just need to get fitter now!

legend
    Free Member

Bike looks good Duane! Shame you went down south already, could’ve slid it around Cambu with me this afternoon!

What height are you? Didn’t think you’d be looking at a large

hilton83
    Free Member

Aargh dribble looks so nice love the colour, is it too late to send a new list to santa?

stevede
    Free Member

Lovely bike, well specced and photo of the day on pinkbike today 8)

Duane…
    Free Member

Legend, I’m 6ft dead pretty much. Apparently the large is for 5.10 to 6.2, so fits me nicely. I was tempted to get a medium, but glad I didn’t.

iain1775
    Free Member

Duane,
    Which Hope pick and mix headset combo did you use?
    Cane creek on my AM has given up after only a handful of wet rides so need to replace
    Cheers

Kuco

Very nice.
    What does it climb like?

Bregante

Possibly the nicest looking am bike on the market IMHO

chiefgrooveguru

I might actually swap my bike for that, if you’re nice. Quite awesome!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Jumping on that trail-bike bandwagon – Commencal Meta AM’ is closed to new replies.