Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Julian Sayarer's round the world record
  • banjowhacker
    Free Member

Looks like he finished on Friday night, smashing the previous record set in the summer by almost ten days! However, there appears to be precious little info about it all online. Anyone have further info?

Smee
    Free Member

Not a lot of info about at all. But 165/166 days or whatever it is is mightily impressive. It is interesting to see the different routes they are all taking – wonder how much of an effect this has.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I thought I saw a trailer for this on the BBC. Anyone know of an iplayer link?

nickjb
    Free Member

He has a website. http://www.thisisnotforcharity.com/

Mcm, Do you mean Mark Beaumont's ride? That was on the BBC.

nedrapier

Funny, just finished Alastair Humphreys' 2 books about cycling round the world.

Well recommended. More of an ordinary man's journey of self discovery than an athlete's record smashing venture, and possibly more interesting because of it.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

nickjb, no I confused the guy with another who rode a tandem from Alaska to Tierra Del Fuego, picking up stokers on the way. It was just broadcast on STV.

nedrapier, the Alastair Humphrey's books are really engaging,I enjoyed them both.

MrAgreeable

It's the first time I've heard of this bloke, but he's got a good line in fiery invective. I bet he likes Gil Scott Heron. 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

His twitter feed is rather sweary, kids eh 🙄

banjowhacker
    Free Member

Well… He's updated his blog. Interesting take on it all. 😯

banjowhacker
    Free Member
    Smee
    Free Member

I thought that one of the rules was that you couldn't turn back on yourself – i.e. go west if you were heading east. He seems to have broken this rule….

carl
    Free Member

Crikey.What a shame he couldnt have completed his ride and have a calm sense of satisfaction in the disapline and focus required to see it through and claim a new record.

Smee
    Free Member

He appears to be a rather bitter and twisted young individual and for that reason I hope he doesn't get given the record.

headfirst
    Free Member

Just looked at that Julian S's website, and read his manifesto, he sounds like bit of a nobber to me, getting a dig in at Mark Beaumont's expense too (Orange adverts reference). So he really thinks riding a bike a very long way is going to fix the society he feels is so badly broken? Pfffff…….

tails
    Free Member

i reckon he is bitter that he didn't get no cash. if i recall correctly marc beaumont did it then some other chap then this lad. i only had heard of beaumont, so despite the fact that this chap is faster than marc. marc is the man who cycled round the world not him. Jealousy is a nasty thing.

allthepies
    Free Member

What a tosser.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Wow, he really seem to be a proper ****. He might not like Beaumont but seriously, was that necessary?

Jamie
    Free Member

Diatribe-arific!

psychle
    Free Member

I like him, and happen to agree with a lot he says… I just can't put it into words quite so… eloquently 😆

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Ok now I want to do a really long trip, goddamnit

trickydisco
    Free Member

Just read his recent blog update

What a tosser!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

His facile 6th form ranting says more about him than about Beaumont, and it says he's a bitter little man. Totally unnecessary.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Marc Beaumont: Sellout to the corporations or another entrepreneur trying to make a living out of travelling and self promtion (a la Charley Boorman etc) and generate money for charity?

Julian Whateverhisnameis: Bitter and twisted and too lazy to realise the charitable potential of what he's done or a rare individual who has resisted the pressure to conform and isn't blind to the inequalities of the world?

There are loads of arguements there but I have nearly finished Marc Beaumont's book and I know who I'd rather go for a drink with.

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

I think the whole (distilled) point is, that if Marc's trip cost £25,000 then why did he only raise £20,000 for charity? Especially now thats he's endorsing companies who could loose 10 times that much and not even blink.

I dont agree with his anger and bitterness, but I do think if you take that away then he's raising a valid point.

eckinspain
    Free Member

WOW 😯

what a cock

EDIT: the Julian bloke ranting on his blog, I mean.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Ahem! Nick Sanders rode round the world in 78 days. averaging 275km a day without stopping or rest days. in 1988. Think that puts these new boys to shame eh?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Julian Sayarer's round the world record’ is closed to new replies.