Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Jones Truss fork half fat.
  • lotto
    Free Member

Running my spaceframe half fat. (3.8 Nate)
    Going to get another hub and have another front wheel. What would be a good compliment to a 2.3 rear (Ardent)
    3.0″up front or too close to the Nate or 2.3/2.4?
    Will a Hope Fatsno front build up ok? No shimming etc?

dovebiker

A 3″ tyre will roll noticeably quicker than a Nate and even a 2.4 on most conditions plus you get the benefits of more grip and bigger volume IMO

Chainline
    Free Member

I will have a Nextie Carbon 29 rim, 50mm internal wide , so big std tyre or with the 3.0 Maxxis Chronicle for sale imminently. I was running it on a Hope Fatsno in my Jones with Truss fork but that will no longer be with me shortly.
    I can let the built wheel go, it has a Gunsmoke Fatsno and DT comps’s, or the rim.
    I ran it with both a normal 29 rear and a Gunsmoke Hope Pro4 attached to a Nextie carbon 50mm internal 650b rim with a wtb trailblazer fitted..Also imminently for sale.

To the question, the Spaceframe rides really nicely with a 29+ front tyre in it on a nice wide rim. rolls nicely and a different feel to the Nate. Much nicer as an overall ride than a std front, more cush, no noticeable rolling penalty and more grip.
    I also have a Fat front, Custom Phil Wood high flange SLR 135mm front hub built on a Marge Lite running a 3.8 Nate so can directly compare the feel. I used them differently depending on where I was going to ride. Fat front also going to be for sale.

Atomizer

I have a Bontrager Hodag 27.5x 3.8 on the front of mine, on a Hope Fastno hub – no shimming.
    Have previous run Chronicle 29×3 and Surly 29×3. but on Jones hub. All good really but prefer Hodag now.
    Panaracer Fat B Nimble in the back which is about as big as i can fit.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Get a 65mm Carbon rim and run a 4.8″ JJ – my favourite 3 season combo, and a Bud for winter.

seanthesheap
    Free Member

No photos? Shocking.
    Here you go

29 x 3 inch knard on the front and a 29 x 2.4 ardent at the back.

As anyone tried a fat front with a B plus rear on their Jones? I have been thinking about it but worried it will be crap.

ton

jones 29+ here. looking for a spare set of wheels myself, just for road touring duties.
    got hugo’s built on hope pro4’s at present. fatsno front.
    but i want some quiet hubs for touring, built on a narrower rim to take 2.3 slicks.

any idea’s anyone?

Duc
    Free Member

you not tempted by the jones “fat road” approach ton? I think that looks quite interesting with super motos on

ton

how would that work? super moto’s fitted on 50mm hugos?

seanthesheap
    Free Member

Ton, i’ve used super moto on rabbit hole rims for road touring, they look massive on wide rims.

It’s not the best pic to show what i mean.

zinaru
    Free Member

I’ve got a fat front (nate) and a 29/29+ front wheel for my jones.

love the fat front but really notice a difference in zippiness with the 29+ front. running a knard or dirt wizard, a bit of toe overlap much it’s not really ever been an issue. actually just like being able to look out the window and see what the weather’s doing or how long fancy being out – and just grabbing the front wheel for the day. havent ran a standard 29 tyre on the front since i started to experiment with + and fat!

running all these with a rear 2.3 ardent (in the summer) and a gato for the other 50 weeks of the year… front and rear 29 wheels are running p-35 rims with I’m gonna replace soon after 5 years of mashing.

mpw
    Free Member

I think that drj0n has done this, he’s has all sorts of fat and plus wheels in the back of his Jones, it might take a bit of digging in his blog

https://drj0nswanderings.wordpress.com/

Duc
    Free Member

The supermoto thing is somewhere on the jones blog – looks pretty cool

ton
    kaiser
    Free Member

Think you’ll find supermotos 2.35 are discontinued now sadly and been replaced with “big ones” which however are light and look good.

birdage

Got a Chronicle up front and a 2.25 Ardent Racer at the back and has worked really well for me. Obviously changing this fairly soon as it gets sloppy but it’s been a good Summer pairing. Also liking the 29er/650+ combo on my Ritchey. Guess I’m easily pleased!

Duc
    Free Member

I’ve defintely seen a picture recently of jones plus with supermotos on, a blue one and the right up was talking about using it for road touring. I proverbially “saw it and thought of ton” but forgot to email you the link, this thread has brought it back !
    A Pair of “Big Ones” is never going to be a bad bet regardless of whether you’re talking about tyres or anything else

bikesian65
    Free Member

Seanthesheep

Yes I have tried a 26×4 on the front and a 27.5 x 2.8 trailblazer on the back – really good combo for rocky terrain – now running a 27.5 x 3 on the front and I like it that way – if I could work out how to attach a picture I would post one up

seanthesheap
    Free Member

Thanks bikesian65, good to know as rocky terrain is what i was thinking of building this combo for.

bikesian65
    Free Member

Seanthesheep

With a trailblazer in the back on a Stans Hugo the clearance on the chain stay is a bit minimal but its been ok so far even in mud – I am running a 2×9 set up and in the small ring on the front and large cog on the back there is about 1-2mm clearance between the tyre and chain – it all seems to work ok though and I have not any problems with this set up ( been like it for a year)

I put my 29 wheels back on the other week but changed back to the 27.5+ set up pretty quick (i.e. after 1 ride) and will probably keep my Jones this way – very interested in the Jones 29+ space frame though !

lotto
    Free Member

I never considered the 650B+ option. Makes sense though and I think it would open up a greater tyre choice as well. I’m very interested in the Spaceframe + too. Only because I like my 29er so much and I really like what I’ve read on the plus. The only negative I can say against the Spaceframe is on an epic day it can be a burden to shoulder for hike a bike stuff. I may be tempted with a diamond frame plus. I’ll see what people say about the SF+first though.

bikesian65
    Free Member

Lotto

The 27.5 + thing is working well for me on my Jones – I originally tried it as a 27.5 x 2.8 rear was a closer match to my 26×4 front from a diameter point of view compared to my 29×2.4 rear wheel – but as it turned out I actually preferred the added bounce at the back

I had an email response from Brendon who works for Jeff when I was asking questions re the space frame plus – the info from Jeff was that the space frame is not necessary for the plus as the long chain stay and 3″ tyre makes more of a difference to comfort than the vertical compliance of the space frame – looking at the pictures of the space frame plus on Jeff’s website the rear chain stays don’t look manipulated like the 29 space frame

Having said all that I would still like a space frame plus for the standover and the smaller size as I have a 50mm stem and straight seat post on my 29 space frame and would not like to go any bigger – just need to see one in the flesh( as not convinced about the green colour) /have a test ride to see if its sufficiently better than my 29 one

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Jones Truss fork half fat.’ is closed to new replies.