• This topic has 177 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by macb.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 178 total)
  • Jones Pron
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

What a bike

tazzymtb

diamond with a uni crown is a lovely bike

big blue ltd editon fat front version

or a space frame-just the best riding rigid bike ever, by a country mile

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hmmmm too much metal for my liking.

Bet hey ride nice though.

Janesy
    Free Member

Looks like a cheap hardtail to me. Niiiice components :/

tazzymtb

need so Ti jones for true pron, the steel versions are like cheap granny grumble mag compared to a more classy Ti version which is at least Razzle quality. 😆

mattjg
    Free Member
    Stoner
    Free Member

taz what size fat 26 (rim/tyre/model) do you reckon would fit in the front of standard 100mm front truss forks to match 29er (2.25″ tyre) rear?

tazzymtb

from personal experience having played with jones steel and ti truss and steel Unicrown forks, the truss is better.

in fact couldn’t believe how much better the steel space frame is over the diamond…and that’s a fantastic frame to start with.

tazzymtb

stoner, you’d be better off using the new surly rabbit hole rim 29er x 50mm with something like a knard 3″ 29er tyre although the vertical clearance would be tight. A 2.5 wtb on a 50mm rim would fill out nicely and run at low pressures. I had a 2.55 dissent on a 42mm rim at 8 psi and it was lovely in those Ti truss that you have.

Stoner
    Free Member

I currently have 2.4 RR on Salsa Gordo 35mm.

I wonder if the knard would go on 35mm? 😉

somafunk

Here’s a brace of Jones’ and my lowly Soulcraft skulking in the huff at the back, one belongs to Biff, the other two belong to Jeff, one to ride and the other one is the spare bike he brought over for SSWC2007 at Aviemore.

We went out riding at Kirroughtree and Drumlanrig a few days before heading up to Aviemore for the Telly Savalas Players Club extravaganza that was SSWC2007 and i can confirm that Jeff is an extremely skilful rider who can ride things on that bike that beggars belief and his space frames ride so good i just about cried when i had to give it back to him after a short test ride.

Ahhh…happy days, but thanks to Ben at Kinetics my Soulcraft will be resurrected at some point next year with a new front end on it and S&S couplings.

b45her
    Free Member

ive never seen so many hideous bikes in 1 thread.

Northwind

Top pic just looks very 90s Halfords to me. Except for the horrible kinked seattube AND kinked seatpost, what’s that all about?

At least proper Joneses look mad.

bonesetter
    Free Member

There are those with extensive experience, who prefer the diamond with unicrown over the spaceframe with truss (steel)

Here’s one

singlespeedstu

Never mind all this Jones shit.

That’s a loverly Monkey in your pic Tazz.

mattjg
    Free Member

There are those with extensive experience, who prefer the diamond with unicrown over the spaceframe with truss (steel)

I like the look of the diamond/unicrown myself, very elegant curves, especially on the fork, and it’s a bike that looks right to me. Shame that guy didn’t give his reasons for his preference. And it would be good to know how the Diamond rides vs other comparable HTs rather than against the Spaceframe/Truss.

I’m currently riding my Swift rigid with a 2.35 Hans Dampf (x2), and I’m seeing no reason at all for suspension for the riding I do (Surrey Hills XC/ST) in the current conditions.

Are the brakes on the top photo cable activated? The Surly Krampus is coming spec’d with BB7s and I’m wondering, economics aside, if there’s a performance reason for that.

mick_r

Hmmm…. Southwest Scotland…..Soulcraft circa sswc2007 that needs rebuilding with some S&S couplings….. Somafunk wouldn’t be Kenny by any chance? 🙂

c_klein87

if only he’d do a Ti Diamond frame again! with belt drive, that would be ace

http://chris-noble-mtb.blogspot.com/

ratherbeintobago

Stupid question: Is there any reason (apart from heresy) not to run a suspension fork on a spaceframe?

Andy

c_klein87

Jeff would hunt you down and crush you?

thinks the angles and what not would make it unrideable

trail_rat
    Free Member

it is mick …. took me a while to click – hes the chap responsible for introducing a young me to whisky at SSWC – he wont remember as he was smashed.

Rode jeffs bike at SSWC as well – it rode really nicely HOWEVER i couldnt justify selling all my other bikes to own one 😀 But man can he ride.

AlexSimon

Stoner – Member
    whoohoo.
    Right, who stocks them and how many body parts do they cost?

I would hazard a guess at Sideways Cycles and Charlie the Bikemonger as being possible stockists.

If you get stuck, there’s also a few other Surly stockists around.

Stoner
    Free Member

CTBM site says he’s ordered them and waiting for arrival….maybe by Sept 2012 😉

Have added my email for notification.

And much as I like the idea of sideways the shop, it’s too far to visit and Tim’s site is always so disappointing 🙁

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Top pic just looks very 90s Halfords to me. Except for the horrible kinked seattube AND kinked seatpost, what’s that all about?

Make sense, puts the saddle back where it would be with a straight tube.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

I’ve been saving up for one of these for a year.
    I’ll be getting a spaceframe. Is the Ti version worth the extra dosh?
    Jeff says the steel spaceframe is vertically stiffer. But it’s also two pounds heavier, just the frame.

Gotama
    Free Member

Stoner – get in line! Charlie Bikemonger for one, poss Tim at Sideways. When i spoke to Surly they also said they had more tyres in the pipeline including something a bit more mud friendly. I’m hoping for something that looks like a Nate personally.

mattjg
    Free Member

re Krampus

Right, who stocks them and how many body parts do they cost?

speak to CTBM, and there are other threads, seek and you shall find

you can put a deposit on a ‘build kit’ (=frame forks rims tyres), due by end of the year I believe, or a full build coming in the spring. ish. A healthy four figure sum gets you started.

Stoner
    Free Member

all I need is a knard tyre.
    Assuming it fits in my truss forks …

I wonder how fat On-One’s chunky monkey will be?

Gotama
    Free Member

The blog bit gives you the dimensions of the knard too if thats any use. Happy to see they say it fits on a P35 even though a certain bike monger told me i need a 50mm.

http://surlybikes.com/blog/post/your_rabbit_hole_looks_knardy

AlexSimon

Stoner – I know it’s old school, but the phone is always available 🙂
    And, in my experience is preferable for dealing with small niche businesses as their knowledge is partly what you’re buying.

nathaneddy
    Free Member

anyone go for the steel spaceframe over the ti?

Clink

I’ve got a steel diamond with truss. It is difficult to describe the ride – you need to try it for a good while. Direct, comfy, and great with big tyres on wide rims.

somafunk

mick_r & trail rat : Yeah – i’m outed, tiz me of broken soulcraft and faceplant fame….i should be on commission or at least have an expense account for the good work i’ve done promoting the scottish whisky industry over the years, i was usually to be found lying on the ground waving a whisky bottle at passers by at various cycling events up and down the country, all that is in the past though…..i’m 5yrs older, 5 years wiser and still a short arse which is good for me as it’s not that far to fall.

Soon to be seen lying on the ground at the real ale wobble in Llanwrtyd Wells,

mattjg
    Free Member

I’ve got a steel diamond with truss.

How is the truss vs the unicrown, and the diamond vs other steel HTs?

(ta).

mick_r

Yay Kenny! – good to hear from you again (you were my Sulwath beer collection pixie before the 1st Kirroughtree 10).

We were up at Gelston for a few days over half term – wondered if you were still around (working at Twynholm?). Hoped we’d bump into you on the trails sometime.

I’ve now built a couple of 29er frames with some Jonesesque geo – must post them up sometime (16″ chainstays and slack head angle).

Mick

Clink

How is the truss vs the unicrown, and the diamond vs other steel HTs?

I have ridden both, but a long time apart. The truss is definately direct. Tazzy has riiden both recently – perhaps ask him?

Or even better e-mail/’phone Jeff himself – he is always helpful.

robowns
    Free Member

ive never seen so many hideous bikes in 1 thread.

Truer words have never been spoken. Those space frames truely are offensive.

ratherbeintobago

Those space frames truely are offensive.

Yes, but you don’t have to look at it if you’re riding it.

Gotama
    Free Member

With the H bars are your hands in roughly the same position as they would be with normal bars because they sweep forwards before twisting back? By position i mean distance from saddle as obviously the angle is different.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 178 total)

The topic ‘Jones Pron’ is closed to new replies.