Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Joins Stoner in the digit dept of A&E
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Still recovering from the my last visits to A&E with the field stone lasso of doom and log splitting finger breakages, I thought a mellow spin along the Fife coastal path would be the safest possible comeback ride.

All went well until I swung into the empty bus car park where a bug found its way either under or onto my glasses lens. While I took them off and replaced them cruising along I failed to notice the chain suspended knee high between two posts.

I hit it and went straight over the bars landing equally on my chin and left hand. Gathering myself together I found all was not well with the ring finger on my left hand. Battling between fainting and consciousness my finger was not just pointing in the wrong direction but at a dodgy angle.

A passer by saw the incident and offered to take my bike to his house nearby and me to A&E.

The X ray confirmed it wasn’t broken but dislocated. An extra long anaesthetic needle preceded some wrestling back into place.

I’ve seen a few dislocated digit pics on here before. I now fully sympathise with the pain.

kayak23

Oh dear god… 😯

Get well soon.

martinhutch

Was expecting some kind of axe/chainsaw tomfoolery there, so actually quite relieved to see a full finger count in your pic. Heal fast!

matt_outandabout

Nice. Even better you have a pic. #priorities

I tried to take a pic of the broken and dislocated finger on my right hand many years ago, after tripping up the stairs. Sadly, the camera had no film….

ninfan
    Free Member

I failed to notice the chain suspended knee high between two posts.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Ouch. I folded my fingers backwards in a low speed crash earlier this year which resulted in a dislocated pinky and and unhappy ring finger. You have my sympathies.

I got a referral to the hand clinic (I didn’t even know such a thing existed) when I went back for a follow up with the A&E department. Ended up with the fingers in splints to reduce further injury to the damaged tendons – but with exercises to start back on mobility. Appointment was about two weeks after the event and they said the sooner I could have got to them the better. So may be worth making a call or two to see if you can get to one locally.

Hand is still not right, can’t make a proper fist and painful if I knock it in the wrong direction – so get that healing started!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Dislocated my “pinky” in Chamonix a few years ago. Stupid low speed fall, was more worried about dent in my shin when I noticed my little finger pointing off at 90 degrees. Thought it was the glove having come loose but my finger was still in it. Yanked it back in as far from anywhere then went for a beer. Following days riding was fairly cautious 😐

mcmoonter
    Free Member

That’s good advice torsoinalake. As there were no consultants in on Sunday, they said that my x rays would be shown to one today and should expect a call if they had concerns.

I have a lot of swelling and bruising both on my finger and the back of my hand. It’s a lot more damaged than the spiral fracture in my pinkie. I cant get close to bending it much. I’ll make a point of chasing a clinic up.

metalheart
    Free Member

Pah, call that a dislocation….

[url=https://flic.kr/p/5ap3MP]Really f**ked up – stitches in[/url] by Sofaboy TT, on Flickr\

Fell off my bike in motel car park in Utah…. 😳

Index finger was definitely at a jaunty angle!

theotherjonv

I still get the sweats thinking of the XL anesthetic needle. Not sure if the doctor that did mine was a butcher in retraining or whether I have a low finger pain threshold, but it gave me a total whitey.

nickc

I predict “some” pain later. 😯

Hope you get better soon!

MrNice
    Free Member

anesthetic needles are nothing. Having the wires that had been holding my finger together taken out hurt far more. I’m sure they should have something more high-tech for that job than a pair of yellow-handled pliers identical to the ones in my toolbox (but cleaner) 😯

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Something else I have just remembered that I only found out after the fact.

Ice.

You need to ice that a lot over the next week. It’s going to swell and not go down for a long time. So ice baths often throughout the day.

Pigface
    Free Member

Ouchy but loving the Brave sticker 🙂

Hope it heals up soon and does not put the brakes on the fun of Mcmoonterworld.

thenorthwind

Hope it heals up soon and does not put the brakes on the fun of Mcmoonterworld.

Seconded (but you won’t be able to hold them anyway :D)

willard

I have to admit that, following the title, the first thing I did was count the fingers.

Glad you’ve retained your full set and heal quickly (and well).

DezB
    Free Member

I did the same thing to the same finger on a dry ski slope. There was no pain, it was just weird. I pushed it back in to place. A pretty lady put some ice on it and all was better (apart from the swelling which took months to go (in my finger)).

Rockape63
    Free Member

Yanked it back in as far from anywhere then went for a beer.

See…That’s proper hard that is Mcmoonter, yah big girl! 😉

Northwind

Good sticker!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Good sticker!

I asked for it after some traumatic manipulation to take the Xray to the merriment of the girls behind the desk.

When they relocated my finger they re Xrayed the joint, the girls asked if I wanted another? I declined saying I was hard as nails and to save them for wimps and kids. 8)

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

I once had a nastu ‘off’ on a cold, wet night ride. I thought I’d bent my brake lever until I realised that I’d modified my left index finger and could pick my nose in ways I’d only been able to dream of previously.

But the pain… You have my deepest, fullest sympathies…

On the plus side, I can now use my second knuckle joint to predict a cold spell up to a week before the Met Office!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Hope it heals up soon and does not put the brakes on the fun of Mcmoonterworld

Pigface, we had a bit of fun here today. A local car collector / restorer came up with a photographer friend with his 1960 Edsell with fresh paint. I’m looking forward to seeing some of their pictures.

Stoner
    Free Member

Sweet ride.

I never got a sticker 🙁

And if you leave hospital with a full compliment of digits ur doin it rong…

Although heard a tale yesterday among the Morzine riders of some poor chap who’d whipped off his thumb in a log splitter. The hospital reattached it but the digit died. So they nabbed his big toe and stuck that on the spot instead. Unfortunately that too, died. So the poor lad went in deficient and came out doubly so.

Rum luck that.

Hope your key chainsaw balancing finger is back where it needs to be. Stop being clumsy.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I just got this from a artist friend in Tennessee

A painter friend of mine cut two fingers off of his left hand on a table saw a couple of years ago. They couldn’t be re-attached because the dog ran away with them. Fortunately, he’s right-handed.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Joins Stoner in the digit dept of A&E’ is closed to new replies.