Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • JMC Specialized Downhill Mountain Bike FSR 1995 Mammoth Downhill – on ebay
  • dawson
    theflatboy
    Free Member

I would love to acquire that if I had the funds and somewhere to display it. The description says it deserves to be ridden – surely nobody who would want that bike because of what it is would ever dream of actually riding it more than a few metres down the road?!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Ooh, I’ll be watching that. they’ve been selling off all of JMC’s old gear recently, some of it has gone for quite a lot. This ought to be in the cycling Hall of Fame.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jam-bo

I used to have one of them. awesome bikes.

crazy-legs

This ought to be in the cycling Hall of Fame.

There were plans for something like that but it all fell through – insurance and security problems and the company unable to deliver on their promises.

They’re selling off a lot of the kit to raise money for various children’s charities.

It’s the anniversary of Jason’s death this Saturday. I think my ride on Saturday might go via Woodhead Pass… Still remember hearing about Jason’s death. 🙁

trickydisco
    Free Member

A mate looked at this and thought the brake pads were later?

The pads are xt but that style of xt pad wasn’t out until 1998?

Me.. i haven’t a clue as i wasn’t into mountain biking in 98

Drapoon
    Free Member

Great bike if only I could afford a bid 🙁

XT range had switched to v brakes by 1998 and I think halfway through 1997?

LS
    Free Member

Those pads were available in 1994.

clubber
    Free Member

xt v-brakes came out around September 1995 ( I know as I was the envy of all when I got one of the first sets 🙂 )

Just after JMC died as it goes.

DezB
    Free Member

Last one went for about £7000 didn’t it?

D0NK

isn’t anyone going to say he had too many spacers under his stem? STW slam standards are slipping.

Would love to own that. Would love to ride it too but would you be able to to? Trash the tyres/wheels whatever? bit worrying.

were dt using star ratchet drive freehubs back then?

XT range had switched to v brakes by 1998 and I think halfway through 1997?

pretty sure I had a pair by atleast 1st half of 97, which were bolt cartridge pads, dunno when and for how long they did cartridge stud pads tho.

Drapoon
    Free Member

Well would you look at that according to the Mombat Shimano history pages v brakes were introduced in xt and xtr format in 1996.

http://mombat.org/Shimano.htm#1996

I could have sworn XT were available 1st not that it really matters?! I know it took quite few paper rounds to upgrade my 97′ Kona Hahanna to a front v brake only to realise my stx combo shifters were not v compatible ;-(

Around the same time I watched the Dirt video until I wore it out 😳

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

the UK needs a proper mountain bike mueseum . stick it near a velodrome. job done.

thejesmonddingo

Went over Woodhead this morning,thought there were a lot of flowers at the site,commiserations to his family and friends,a true star.

D0NK

I could have sworn XT were available 1st

pretty sure they were, could only have been a few months between tho

not that it really matters?!

nowt wrong with a bit of bike anorak-ery

on here anyway I wouldn’t bother bringing up the subject with your non bikey mates down the pub 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

stick it near a velodrome trail centre..

ftfy 😉

Oh yes – the last JMC bike went for just under £5.5K – here

crazy-legs

I could have sworn XT were available 1st

What sponsored pros like the late great JMC get isn’t down to what is “available” to us mere proles – his bike could have kit on it from a year or so before it was made generally available to the public.

Bike is at £1120 now, I reckon the final price will be somewhere around £4000.
    Real shame that there isn’t a museum or Hall of Fame type place for this. Still remember watching JMC riding that bike in Dirt, the way the camera zoomed in to see the suspension moving and the fact that he was just SO fast.

dawson

Still remember watching JMC riding that bike in Dirt, the way the camera zoomed in to see the suspension moving and the fact that he was just SO fast.

Big +1

pedalling hard and ripping for the hell of it

Drapoon
    Free Member

Still remember watching JMC riding that bike in Dirt, the way the camera zoomed in to see the suspension moving and the fact that he was just SO fast

I can hear the soundtrack to that part of the video in my head right now 😉

I’d love to create a stumpy hardtail JMC replica but leaving it a bit late now . Don’t see many Judy Fsx’s cropping up on Retrobike like there was a few years ago

DONK – So I shouldn’t have printed the mombat pages off for distribution in the pub tonight…..? 😮

iain1775
    Free Member

ti_pin_man – Member
    the UK needs a proper mountain bike mueseum . stick it near a velodrome. job done.

There is a small but excellent bike museum at Drumlanrig
    It would fit in well there

bensales
    Free Member

Those were standard XT cantilever pads from 1995. I had the same ones. They were also available from other manufacturers too, such as Koolstop. V-brakes that came later just continued the use of the longer pad design.

You can just about make out the pads on this picture of my Clockwork from 1993 (pictured in 1995). Fitted to some fancy CNC cantibrakes that looked a lot like the ones on the JMC bike, but I’ve forgotten the manufacturer. I’ll see if I can find the original photo and get a better scan.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4f512d4ycb0l98f/clockwork01.jpg

mikey74
    Free Member

I’m surprised Peaty hasn’t bought them up.

starsh78
    Free Member

I hope specialized buy this to go with the other jmc bike they have, I was lucky enough to take this for a spin. Best day ever!

crazy-legs

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot_2tN7wGjE[/video]

Here’s the clip from Dirt with JMC riding that S-Works in a manner that MBUK at the time called flippin’ rippin’.

It’s 18 years ago today that JMC was killed. 🙁

RIP.

jamj1974

A true pioneer. RIP.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘JMC Specialized Downhill Mountain Bike FSR 1995 Mammoth Downhill – on ebay’ is closed to new replies.