Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Jet over central London – are they mad???
  • bananaworld
    Free Member

Just seen a fairly large jet flying at around 10-15,000ft (my best guess…) over central London, heading NE.

Any ideas…?

Is it safe…?

We had a go at shouting "come down from there, it's not safe!" at them, but they ignored us.

LapSteel
    Free Member

Its definately not safe in the NE I would turn back

Talkemada
    Free Member

We had a go at shouting "come down from there, it's not safe!" at them, but they ignored us.

😆

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

What's it matter, it's only London if the plane falls out of the :lol:sky

aracer
    Free Member

Well given the only two obvious candidates are currently at FL340 and FL360 (which appears to be a height they're now authorised to fly over the "cloud" at), your height estimate may be a bit off. Then again at least one (probably both – no info on the other) of those started in Germany and flew right through the "cloud" to get there.

Talkemada
    Free Member

What's it matter, it's only London if the plane falls out of the :lol:sky

Yeah? And then watch, as the rest of the country descends into panic and chaos!

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Truly? Massive street party maybe.

aracer
    Free Member

I think you'll find thats the (London based) newspapers suggesting the rest of the country descends into panic and chaos, having done all their research without going outside the M25.

hilldodger
    Free Member

… the rest of the country descends into panic and chaos…

I thought that was pretty much the everyday condition for the barbarian hordes outside the capital 😉

Talkemada
    Free Member

You mean there might be intelligent life outside the M25????

No, you're being silly now! 😀

hilldodger
    Free Member

Life, but not as we know it 😆

davidrussell
    Free Member

they haven't been able to create life yet, as all the f***ies are inside the M25 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Could be a research plane scoping the situation. The met office have one apparently.

snowslave

The Russians are coming! Run away run away!

Talkemada
    Free Member

Excellent! Nice bit of completely irrational and unfounded panic there, snowslave! Good to see! 😀

hainey
    Free Member

The Russians are coming! Run away run away!

Oh no!!

[

tony_m
    Free Member

Just to add to the completely irrational and unfounded panic… 😈

http://www.hebrides-news.com/russian_bomber_jets_24310.html

monkey_boy
    Free Member

if you want a good laugh just turn on sky news for 5 minutes, is there NOTHING else happening in the world? it's like watching a news feed from an american disaster movie!

Talkemada
    Free Member

Tony M; was that report from the Outer Hebrides Broadcasting Corporation? (Aboot 2' 30" in)

Run away, run away!

tony_m
    Free Member

was that report from the Outer Hebrides Broadcasting Corporation? (Aboot 2' 30" in)

Run away, run away!

Well, you know what they say about truth being stranger than fiction… 😉

But don't worry, I'm keeping an eye out on the skies over Lewis in case those darn Russkies try owt funny, and there's a copy of Red Dawn on the shelf for handy hints if they do. 8)

bananaworld
    Free Member

Just seen another one. Same heading, but much higher (30,000ftish, but my altitude estimates seem to have been proven to be useless…)

I thought about shouting at this one too, but after the last snub I decided to save my breath.

bassspine
    Free Member

You mean there might be intelligent life inside the M25????

there. fixed it

Pigface
    Free Member

No, you're being silly now!

Bit parochial eh Talk/Rude/Fred 😉

snowslave

Rather scarily I predicted this volcanic phenomena on April 12th on facebook, and was expressing concern should I be dug out of the lava in 2000 years time to be discovered to be listening to the Dukes of Hazzard album on my iPod at work. Only I got the wrong mountain -I thought it might be Copley mountain. Just shows though, I'm probably the messiah and will also be shown to be right about Russia.

Send money, I will forgive anyone for cash.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Bit parochial eh Talk/Rude/Fred

😀

Touché…

coffeeking
    Free Member

This the Europeans have given up waiting:

CountZero

Nah, there's no intelligent life inside the M25, it's a large Petrie dish, the intelligent ones are outside observing to see if intelligent life of some sort spontaneously develops. 😈

Talkemada
    Free Member

Behave your silly self!

Or we'll cut off your internets.

aracer
    Free Member

Looking at http://www.radarvirtuel.com/ it would appear that a BA flight from San Fransisco has just landed at Heathrow and there are more currently inbound to there and Gatwick – despite the BBC news site saying CAA had vetoed the plan http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8632930.stm

Edit: flight from Barbados landing at Gatwick in the next minute or two.
    Edit edit: Barbodos flight in at Gatwick (that or it's crashed), Qatar Airlines flight just landing at Heathrow, 3 more BA and a Thomas cook flight coming in.

scraprider
    Free Member

whats a airplane?

zaskar
    Free Member

scraprider – Member
    whats a airplane?

A bus with wings but doesn't fly for a week.

I guess BA on Strike didn't help things.

Talkemada
    Free Member

whats a airplane?

A Yankee aeroplane…

aracer
    Free Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8633597.stm now says they have opened the airports – nice bit of brinkmanship by Willie Walsh there I reckon. Remember you heard it here first!

kimbers

yup government bowing to pressure from the airlines

lets hope they are correct

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Perhaps they overreacted…but 5 days is still not a long time to try and understand the effects of an unusual event like a volcano pumping out ash.

Would y'all fly now?

Gary_C

They must have planned hours ago to open Heathrow at least. Just looked on Flightradar24.com,& all of the flights landing there are coming transatlantic.

aracer
    Free Member

Yes – most coming in are long haul and took off early afternoon (noticed they were coming in from the thread on pprune http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/412103-ash-clouds-threaten-air-traffic-95.html – hence why I went to check the radar). As I suggested above, it was more a case of BA playing brinkmanship than knowing they were going to open I reckon – curious how far they'd have pushed it (though the SF flight I first mentioned did do some circuits over West Ireland, so I presume there were contingency plans rather than them just coming in and not having enough fuel to divert out of UK airspace).

A variety of short haul charter flights also inbound now – I suspect they were more sure they would be able to land before they set off.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

So have the skies opened safely, or have they opened because BA threw about 25 transatlantic flights up aimed at Britain, and the skies opened because they had nowhere else to land? Not truly bothered but if Lord Adonis (I think fücking not!) was still banging on about safety then Lo! the skies are opened because BA wants them opened, has the govt truly got any say in the matter?

Karinofnine

I can hear big planes above me (between Bromley and Biggin Hill)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Jet over central London – are they mad???’ is closed to new replies.