Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • James May BBC4 tonight fixes a lawnmower …
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

1/3 programmes devoted to fixing stuff..

tom200

Great! We need more shedovision.

Houns

Heh just logged in to post a psa.

I have some brown beer warming in readiness

shermer75
    Free Member

Dan Snow on BBC 1 and 4 at the same time. Stereo..

grey

That was interesting, as I’ve a Suffolk Punch to build :D.
    P51 Mustang on straight after on Decisive Weapons 😀 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

#slowTV

Enjoyed that.

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep, TV at my kind of pace 🙂

Duffer
    Free Member

Best TV I’ve seen in a while. I enjoyed it in the same way as ‘Shed and Buried’.

loddrik
    Free Member

Just read the Guardian review of this show. On my to do list for tomorrow.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bloody excellent TV.

Looking forward to the guitar build.

8)

Houns

I’m sorry but I have to complain. It wasn’t slow/long enough. A few bits were skipped or not shown.

maxtorque

So, when programs are made that contain nothing (see pretty much any modern docu / live show etc) they get “stretched” to fill 1hr or more with vacuous cr*p. But when a program is made that contains a lot of information, it gets shrunk into 30mins??

Modern telly eh! Thank god for the ‘net………

lunge

Enjoyed that, very geeky. My wife hated it though, “you’re watching an old man build a lawnmower?” “Yes” “you’re very odd, you are”.

Drac

This was a show about fixing lawnmower, yes?

Hurry up Top Gear, please.

Twodogs

I’m sorry but I have to complain. It wasn’t slow/long enough. A few bits were skipped or not shown

this..would love to have seen more detail about rebuilding the carb for example. yes, I’m very sad

mrhoppy

Mrs hoppy sat through it incredulous that I was watching it at all and enjoying it as well. I explained that what she was feeling was what an episode of call the midwife is like for me.

digga
    Free Member

Missed this, but I like Shed & Buried so wish I hadn’t.

That said, Sunday saw the annual wake up from hibernation for the trusty old Hayter, so I’ve had my fix of shed and dismantled mower. (It was particularly recalcitrant this year.)

ourmaninthenorth

Missed it.

Programmes like that appeal to me. James May, on the other hand, I find to be rather a tit.

marcus7
    Free Member

It wasn’t about fixing a lawnmower, it was about rebuilding it from its component parts, it would have been better if it had been an hour so he could have shown more detail on stuff like the carb , magneto etc. I definitely fall into the mechanical geek category so enjoyed it immensely and look forward to the next ones….

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Just caught this on iPlayer. I could watch blokes in sheds building stuff all night. I was disappointed to not see oil on the gudgeon pin and piston rings during the assembly.

somafunk

^ yeah, that upset my sensibilities as well, And he really should’ve put the gudgeon pin in the freezer and the piston in the oven at a low temp for 15mins before assembly.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What about the thrunge bracket, though?

Houns

Better tonight however missed the installation of the lead

marcus7
    Free Member

Never seen that type of screwdriver before and need one, any one know where to get one??!

mick_r

Does he have a sanding fetish?
    Abrasive sheets
    Abrasive belts
    Multiple rolls of abrasive paper

project
    Free Member

Never seen that type of screwdriver before and need one, any one know where to get one??!

you can buy a plastic moulding claw that fits over any screwdriver bit and grips slotted screws.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Gentle
    Calming
    Informative
    Inquisitive

Can some one get that?

marcus7
    Free Member

And I have those but not that split blade system which I suspect is a bit rare…

richmars

I’ve got one of those screwdrivers somewhere, I never thought it was that good. You can only use it to start the screw, apply any torque and the two parts separate.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m glad I live in a world where a show like that can be made.

A delight.

maxtorque

No one has explained how he plugged an old pulse dial phone into the modern tone dial network and had it ring yet? Can the network even still supply the current that old phones took to ring?? (with their mechanical bell system)

superleggero
    Free Member

There was a bit on tonights programme where JM explained about JIS screwdrivers. A subject that’s been discused on this very forum in relation to bikes.

Russell96

Ringing no probs at all it’s 75-80V AC, you’ll feel it if you hold the line and have an incoming call.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

The guitar one is also on iplayer. V interesting

rOcKeTdOg

Shame he didn’t mention setting the intonation etc & disappointed in a programme that uses the correct tools for a specific job he didn’t use a peg winder

b1gf00t
    Free Member
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘James May BBC4 tonight fixes a lawnmower …’ is closed to new replies.