Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • i've decided road riding is harder!
  • aviemoron
    Free Member

Well, I'm trying to get mtb race fit again after a few years out and for me that means getting loads of "base" miles in first, which I find tiresome, but now aided by an "ipod" type device. 4+hrs on yer own I find way harder (mentally) than 4 hrs riding around our local singletrack. Funny thing is I find the interval type (top end) training way easier (mentally). As for averages, round here a 4 hr ride takes in a lot of up (4500') and I knocked my pan in yesterday trying to average 20mph over 80 miles (obviously on my own) and was 20 mins out, but it was windy and for once v' hot. The dreaded saddle sores have raised their ugly heads (sorry for that image) so even sitting at the computer today is "uncomfortable"……

oldgit
    Free Member

I've wound my miles right in as UK road races are pretty short and XC and CX even shorter. I leave my base top up until winter and concentrate on speed work the rest of the time. I'm trying to move away from being a fairly quick plodder to just quick.
    The result is I can hang on……just. 😐

sor
    Free Member

Drat, I'm obviously still slower than a slow thing towing a heavy thing. Can do 30 miles in 2 hours, but anything above that distance and the average speed plummets. (And I can't blame that just on the tea-and-pee-stops.) Was thinking of signing myself up to do the 100 mile Pedal for Scotland in September but just don't reckon I'm fit enough yet to do the distance in the time allowed.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Dibbs
    Free Member

I went out for a road ride across Exmoor this morning for a change (51 miles, 3hrs 30mins, 14.6mph Ave. spd, 47.4mph Max spd, 3287ft Total ascent), I don't know how that compares with all you cycling gods out there, but it was hard enough for me, and sitting in the same position for hours on end churning away on the pedals has made me ache in a whole new set of places 🙄

njee20
    Free Member

This was the last half decent road ride I did that I've got on Connect, no real hills, the loop in the middle was a charity ride some friends were doing, so I rode over, rode the route to heckle them and rode home. That's probably quicker than I'd normally go if just out bimbling!

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘i've decided road riding is harder!’ is closed to new replies.