Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • "It's not about the bike" still worth a read?
  • slightbreeze
    Free Member

So after this years LTDF I fancied reading some cycling literature to give me a bit of inspiration. I remembered a few mates recommending Mr Armstrong’s book so I got onto play.com and ordered a secondhand copy ( as i am a bit of a tight git). I haven’t gotten around to starting it and now I am beginning to wonder I should bother or not due to recent events.
    So the question is, is it still worth a read?

timbur
    Free Member

Yes IMHO

crikey
    Free Member

I like a nice bit of fiction…

DezB
    Free Member

Its a good book.
    I leant it to a friend of mine who had cancer as its pretty inspiring. Not sure if he read it, I never got to ask him.

Wookster

Yes I think so.

plumber
    Free Member

It is a shit book whether he doped or not

Memmememememcancermememememcancermemememememdrugd testing meme,e,e,,e,e,cancer Etc

Taff
    Free Member

I really liked it, the second wasn’t so good/inspiring.

Duggan

I didn’t really rate it though it’s an inspiring story. That said if you have it already and you’ve paid for it why not just read it? It’s not Paradise Lost and won’t take you long

psling
    Free Member

So, lt’s a bit like an autobiography but about himself…? 🙄 😆

DezB
    Free Member

Good point, well made psling 🙂

hora
    Free Member

A great book. Ignore the negative Charlie’s.

footflaps

Yep, great book, well worth a read.

marco
    Free Member

Yes, deffo

brakes
    Free Member

yep, good book.
    having said that I’m not sure if recent events may change some aspects of the book – it’s good but it’s not memorable.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s not about the bike (it’s about the chemists). Reprint available soon.

aP
    Free Member

It’s a book about a man surviving something I wouldn’t want my worst enemy to go through. However, nearly every single written word reinforces what a deeply unpleasant man he is. I bought this book when it came out as I was a huge fan of his from the early 90s, but wasn’t after I’d read it.
    I hope that helps.

GW
    Free Member

plumber and aP +1

Ignore the negative Charlie’s. Read it yourself and make up your own mind

mikewsmith
    Free Member

worth a read

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I preferred Mr Nice by Howard Marks. It’s about drugs too but in a more obvious way

jmason
    Free Member

RULE #4 // IT’S ALL ABOUT THE BIKE.
    It is, absolutely, without question, unequivocally, about the bike. Anyone who says otherwise is obviously a ****.

stanfree
    Free Member

I didn’t think much of It to be honest. I’d imagine Its a great read and fairly inspirational If you are going through what Lance did and If It gives people hope It’s worth a read.

chiefgrooveguru

I guess it’s Dan Brown quality fiction now…

“It’s all about the bike” by Rob Penn is a much much much better book – highly recommended!

It’s all about the bike

fuzzhead
    Free Member

It’s a great read and gives you a great insight into how “driven” (for want of a better word) LA is.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

nearly every single written word reinforces what a deeply unpleasant man he is.

^^^^for me, this says it. I got about 1/4 of the way through it and stopped.

binners

Totally agree with Plumber

I chucked it away after about 2 chapters. You can basically summarise the whole book by visualising Lance standing in front of you, saying

“Do you know what? I’m absolutely ****ing brilliant, me!!!”

Repeat until bored

Read Brads biography instead. Now that’s a good read! Its a lot about his childhood with his dad who was a pro cyclist, and by the sounds of it, absolutely crazy ape bonkers!!! It’ll make you appreciate his achievements even more

t_i_m
    Free Member

The drugs conviction doesn’t make that much difference to the book. It’s about a guy who wants to tell you how f’ing awesome he is and how he beat cancer. The latter bit is interesting and a good read.

He’s summed up way before the drugs thing by one of the books other threads: my wife is awesome … could never have coped without her … the way she stood by me was incredible … she is fantastic …<book ends> oh look, there’s Sheryl Crowe, see ya!

stanfree
    Free Member

Yup , He actually comes across as a complete bell end . The way he talks to nurses who are trying to help him made me want to stop reading. Read David Millars book instead .

Speeder

I thought it was great, I read it pre tour and pre scandal blowing up and if you take it at face value it’s an inspiring story and it gave me an appreciation of the tour that I wouldn’t otherwise have had not being a roadie of any note.

Oh and have to say I’m on the innocent until proven guilty side of things and I’m saddened that so many are trying to ruin the guy.

Helios
    Free Member

I thought it alright – I’ve read far worse. Then again I’ve always thought time spent reading is rarely wasted*

*Stephen Fry’s book The Liar is my most recent exception to this rule – utter drivel

camo16
    Free Member

Both Lance autobiogs are okay to read, but IMO the best Lance-related book is John Wilcockson’s 27 Days in July… if you get over the fact that JW is clearly in love with his subject.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

great book

jambalaya
    Free Member

Definitely yes, the second book isn’t as good as the first but that’s not what you are asking.

If I recall the first book talks about the – then legal – blood doping used by the US Olympic team.

chakaping
    Free Member

I bet sales have spiked in recent weeks!

avdave2

Drugs beat cancer 🙂
    Drugs beat everyone else 🙁

mdavids
    Free Member

I read it a few years back as a cycling noob and completely neutral towards Lance. He comes across as an unlikeable bell-end.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘"It's not about the bike" still worth a read?’ is closed to new replies.