• This topic has 70 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by 7hz.
Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • It's a miracle I am still alive….
  • Leku
    Free Member

What tyres were you using (for a near death experience)?

They sound rubbish.

Good to still have you with us.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Watch Crash (Cronenberg) and try not to get hooked by the buzz of it all :mrgreen:

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“whistled by inches from my head with its horns blasting”

To be fair if it had been relly close he/she wouldnt have had time to react and press their horn.

Talking of near death experiences, I had one as a kid. I fell of a boat on lake coniston. Was the most weird and calm experience I’ve ever had.

I just remember looking up to the surface and a circular patch of light on the surface getting smaller and smaller and more distant. Strangely at that point I was very calm and relax, in fact I felt very comfortable almost like in a dream.

The next thing I remember is being back on the surface spitting out water, unable to swim as I was in a blind panic and being rescued by a canoeist.

I think that was a proper near death experience. Didnt have any nightmares, depression etc. If anything it made me realise that lifes for living, and that now I wont fear death by drowing.. I dont think.

Pook

Back in Nam, just before the Tet offensive Charlie came over the wire next to my position. I spent 11 hours in intensive hand to hand combat. Even now I can’t pass a Chinese takeaway without the reflex to grab my ankle knife or grasp around for a M16

Rubbish. We all know you get your nob out.

Op- lucky escape that dude. Chalk it up as one of your nine lives, a good tale for the pub, and don’t let it put you off your riding.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Is this what stw is becoming. You have had an amazingly lucky escape. You should be thanking your lucky stars etc etc etc. What you mostly should be doing is smiling and being happy. I had a similar situation when i was younger where i ended up staring head-on into a set of headlights and it missed me by mm’s. Why think about it, its not as though you could a) Forsee it, b) Do anything to avoid the a similar situation in the future. Smile and walk on.

Glass half full, half empty. Too many on stw are half empty people which is why there are so many depression and suicide threads

DezB
    Free Member

Too many on stw are half empty people which is why there are so many depression and suicide threads

I think. You’ll find. That’s bollocks.

thepurist

+1 DezB – in fact the only mentions of depression on this thread have been from 2 people complaining about people talking about depression on this thread.

molgrips
    Free Member

Too many on stw are half empty people which is why there are so many depression and suicide threads

FAIL.

wwaswas

OP – if this is a ‘proper’ ‘sidewalk’/cyclepath rather than just a bit of scub at the side of the road then I’d be getting onto the council, explainign what happened and asking for it to be cleared.

You don’t need to be contemplating a law suit to get the problem sorted out and it may save some other person from going through the same experience.

[edit] and littlesthobo – probably time to be moving on if that’s all you can contribute to the thread.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Correct me if i am wrong but has the number of depression, suicide, marriage break ups, the world is ending threads increased in the last 12 months?

That wasnt a slight on those effected by (Insert your issue). Its just highlighting that stw is not as positive a place as it should be imo. Most are fit blokes who enjoy getting out and about and should have a lot of positives in their life. The fact that this guy has escaped a serious incident should be celebrated imo with at least 10 pints and a kebab with his mates.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

And to those saying fail, bollocks etc. Well excuse me for having my OWN opinion. Have i displayed it on all the other threads. No, i waited for one that had a positive outcome because i thought it would be more appropriate to celebrate. Maybe i should just head off and leave you guys to wallow

wwaswas

but he hasn’t said he’s depressed – just so wound up and buzzing that he can’t settle to anything?

just because people ride bikes for a few hours a week doesn’t mnean the rest of their lives are a bed of roses – it may be that they have a lot of stuff to deal with and find this place a good way of doing that. Fair play to them is all I can say – if it works carry on posting.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

He didnt say he was suicidal either. I just mentioned those two situations in the context of the post. I didnt say he was getting divorced either but i mentioned it in another post. Oh no!

Kryton57

Wow, personally I feel if he’s have jumped the branch like a proper rider he’d have been OK.

Like Hobo said, nice to be alive, so smile.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Why were you on the “overgrown” edge of the road? Was that not asking for trouble, riding where you cannot see any obstacles? It’s much simpler to ride on the road itself 🙂

Dickyboy

I just remember looking up to the surface and a circular patch of light on the surface getting smaller and smaller and more distant. Strangely at that point I was very calm and relax, in fact I felt very comfortable almost like in a dream

My neice had a similar experience said it was like going to sleep with her eyes open, but I don’t think it’s that relevant to what the OP has experienced to make a comparison

mingsta
    Free Member

Glad to hear that the OP’s alive well, hope you get over it soon.

I kinda dig what LittlestHobo is saying, but lets face it, there’s some right twunts on the forum who take great pleasure in gloating over the misfortunes of others and telling the world how they would have done it better. Its always been that way, I wouldn’t let it bother you.

user-removed
    Free Member

The only time I nearly had my head run over by a car, I was so embarassed about falling off that I just closed my eyes and waited, my legs and arms tangled through my frame, immobile. It missed by milimeters.

Also fell about 80 feet out of a tree and bounced (back to health eventually). In fact, over the many years of scrapes and NDEs (near death experiences!) I don’t think I’ve ever felt anything like the OP describes. I also heartily recommend a stiff drink or ten.

DezB
    Free Member

And to those saying fail, bollocks etc. Well excuse me for having my OWN opinion

So were we.

Most are fit blokes who enjoy getting out and about and should have a lot of positives in their life

and that’s what I get from this site. If it was a miserable “place”, I wouldn’t come here.

hora
    Free Member

Op now is the time to visit male saunas and bath houses. Won’t hurt to try it

Nobby

“You’re never more alive than when you’re staring death in the face.”

Not sure where I heard that but it’s made perfet sense to me on more than one occasion.

noteeth
    Free Member

Yes, was hit head on whilst crossing near a notorious blind corner. Cleared pretty much the entire car and landed on my back (early ’90s bumbag probably saved the base of my spine).

Was physically fine – got up, walked with my bike about 100 metres & then collapsed in shock.

joeh2o
    Free Member

Why do I get the feeling that wiggle is currently processing an order for flats as we speak?

brakes
    Free Member

Won’t hurt to try it

depends which ends he’s at…

leffeboy

What’s going on? I feel like I am going mad

No you’re not going mad. Ignore the MTFU stuff – different people react in different ways. If you can, find a friend who is happy to listen to the same story 50 times without trying to find a solution or telling you how to fix it – someone who is just happy to listen. You will get over it but bottling it up is like taking immodium when you’ve got the shits – it doesn’t fix it it just delays the inevitable, it’s all coming out sometime so better sooner rather than later

Edit: and do it now – not joking. If you can talk it out with friends who will listen over the next few days and listen a lot you will reduce any chances of this having a lasting effect. Wait a week and the effect of talking is reduced

hora
    Free Member

OP ask your GP to arrange to hook you up to a ECG. Those symptoms sound like irregular hear rythm? (Heart racing) and could be symptomatic of a heart problem brought on by stress with this event being the tipping point.

billysugger
    Free Member

Me personally, I’d have got up and wooped like Pastrana when he totalled that Scoob rally car….

Then gone home and sat in a ‘hell-yeah’ smokey de-brief whilst listening to some Pink Floyd til I looked like this… :mrgreen:

Suggsey
    Free Member

For what its worth I actually agree with Hora re go to quacks just to check out blood pressure and heart beat. If you are not used to being in highly stressful life threatening sitautions the adrenaline dump that you will have suffered will have quite a significant effect. Added to the no doubt flashbacks (each of which will give you another dose of adrenaline) will give you the adrenaline shakes and insomnia.
    Make sure you aint hitting the caffeine too heavy and dont resort to alcohol as it is no answer.
    Try riding the same section of road as soon as possible but obviously watch out for the branch and once you have not fallen off and had a near death experience it may help you to ‘file’ the bad memory to where it should be in your brains long term memory store. there are some self help techniques on the internet for filing memories that can cause post traumatic stress.
    In clebration of cheating the grim reaper I would get a tattoo 😉

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Dont realy understand how you’d know that
    I feel like I’ve had a bowl of amphetamine
    I think like most posters on STW you are making it up google
    Confabulation

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

To last poster… I wasn’t making anything up. Bowl of amphetamine -misspent youth, I’m not some goody-two-shoes.

Doc said pretty much what some have said on here … bodies natural reaction, adrenalin dump, heightened senses etc. Remedy – early night, and a book – i.e. try to relax – come back in a day or two if still fizzing. In reality – went down the pub with my mate and played darts. I’m alright now, just couldn’t understand why I was so wired 24 hours later.

To those “depression, suicide posters” – I don’t know wtf you are on about.

To the – go to a male sauna and bath houses – sounds a bit iffy. I don’t think I’ll bother – not my cup of tea.

To the rest of you, thanks for the encouragement – all good remedy

7hz
    Free Member

I was in a mild car accident last December (thru fence at 15 mph, I was the front seat passenger, no one hurt, car smashed up a bit), and it knocked me off-centre for at least 24 hours… couldn’t sleep, accident kept replaying in my head etc. It passes. Your experience sounds much more intense, so I think it is natural to be buzzing for a few days. I know I was nervous as a passenger for a few weeks after my mild crash, so I guess you’ll be over cautious on the bike… maybe time for a nice relaxing cross-country-avoiding-roads ride with some pals?

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘It's a miracle I am still alive….’ is closed to new replies.