Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 337 total)
  • It may have hit the fan in Ukraine – passenger jet shot down
  • wwaswas

Malaysian passenger jet reportedly shot down.

Beyond a tragedy for those personally affected this could escalate things internationally very quickly.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Plane definitely down, very sad as all aboard are lost, bit too early to confirm it’s been shot down but Russian’s seem to be suggesting so

hot_fiat

Oh no. 🙁

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    muppetWrangler
    Free Member

ignore me, I can’t read headlines apparently

footflaps

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28345039

And then

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28354856

Looks like the same incident but possibly initially thought to be a fighter jet not a passenger plane…

makkag
    Free Member

Correct URL

I saw the other bbc one earlier but poster above must be right !

ell_tell
    Free Member

Whether it was shot down or an aviation accident very sad news either way for the loss of the pasengers.

Will have been a tragic year for Malaysian Airlines too what with the loss of their other aircraft.

njee20
    Free Member

Looks like the same incident but possibly initially thought to be a fighter jet not a passenger plane…

I must say I saw the first headline and just assumed military, very odd if that’s not the case, surely if Ukraine were accusing them of shooting down a plane they would know if it was military or civilian?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Russian sources saying it was Ukranian missile.

As per link above it was an Amsterdam to KL flight

martinhutch

Rebels in eastern Ukraine say they shot down two Su-25 jets on Wednesday.

Quote from BBC report.

One Su-25, One airliner?

EDIT: Wondering how commercial traffic could be anywhere near airspace in which rebels are known to be regularly taking potshots using ground to air weaponry?

honeybadgerx

Sadly, there’s maybe been the assumption that the rebels have not much in the way of military training, and no access to higher tech, high altitude missiles, so high-level flights may still have been operating.

martinhutch

According to the Telegraph, someone downed a Ukranian transport from 21,000ft three days ago, something which had escaped my attention.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Tensions have been high in the last few days with the Ukranians suspecting Russians of shooting down their planes (EDIT: @martin yes that’s the same incident). Rebels typically don’t have higher altitude surface to air missiles, only government forces.

hot_fiat

@FF Separate incidents. The Su25 was alegedly shot down this morning, the Malaysian jet only left AMS after midday.

Drac

The UK Foreign Office said it was aware of the reports of the crash and was “urgently working to establish what has happened”.

mrchrispy

You can watch the track on planefinder disappear around 13.10 😮

wwaswas

I wonder what’s going to happen in Gaza during the next 24 hours now the world’s collective eye has been drawn elsewhere.

Some may see it as a good day to behave in ways they don’t want to be noticed too much?

rossi46
    Free Member

Sad news 🙁

Are Malaysian Airlines jinxed then at the moment?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sky quoting a Ukranian source that it was a Buk missile, these are launched off the back of a armoured vehicle.

A flight from Holland is going to have been full of holiday makers, very sad.

Drac

Anton Herashchenko, an adviser to Ukraine’s interior minister, was quoted by the Associated Press as saying the plane had been hit by a missile at an altitude of 10,000m (33,000ft). The claim could not be verified independently.

rossi46
    Free Member

I have to ask though, why would an airliner fly over a warzone? Or even a potential warzone?

Mackem

..some bloke on BBC World was wondering about this, basically said the plane shouldnt have been there.

chewkw
    Free Member

Dammit! Not another M’sia airline …

I will fly pass Ukraine airspace in mid August to KL then to fly M’sia airline for further connecting flight.

Damn! Very bad publicity for M’sia airline because the other local airline is not one I will fly that often …

RIP passengers.

😐

Edit: if they shoot me down I will come back as one of the 3 horsemen of apocalypse … with black death. 😈

slimjim78
    Free Member

I just found myself thinking for a minute what it would be like to be aboard a passenger airliner struck by a missile in mid air, and not die instantly..

Awful awful awful.
    What is going on?

ThePinkster

What is going on?

The whole world’s gone f*****g crazy, that’s what’s going on.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

on BBC now as well. Bloody hell….. fubar

notmyrealname
    Free Member

If the aircraft was shot down by Russia, the consequences will be incredibly far reaching.

I think it might be the end of Malaysia Airlines now after losing two aircraft within a matter of months.

RIP the poor folk onboard 🙁

sobriety
    Free Member

If the aircraft was shot down by Russia, the consequences will be incredibly far reaching.

Or they’ll just hang the poor bastard who pushed the button out to dry and carry on regardless. 🙁

johndoh
    Free Member

At the moment both sides are blaming the other but you would assume that the eyes of the world are very much on that region due to the ongoing conflict – surely there must be a spy satellite somewhere that has tracked events?

sobriety
    Free Member

The US will have access to satellite imagery that should be able to identify ultra-violet plumes if a long-range surface-to-air missile was fired.

From the BBC.

johndoh
    Free Member

But that is after the fact (that technology is claiming to be searching for traces of plumes left in the atmosphere after firing), surely they were watching anyway?

Kryton57

wwaswas – Member
    Malaysian passenger jet reportedly shot down.

[tinfoilhat]
    No one making the obvious link with the previous Malaysian plane?
    [/tinfoilhat]

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Can a plane really be shot down by a surface missle at 30k+ feet?

Honest question

matt_outandabout

[tinfoilhat]
    No one making the obvious link with the previous Malaysian plane?
    [/tinfoilhat]

I have a metal umbrella, come and shelter with me.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Honest question

Apparently so, from a BUK mounted vehicle

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

6 miles isn’t it so I guess in the grand scheme of things, its not too far for a missile to travel.

What they thought a plane at 30k ft was a risk to them for though, I’ve no idea. Its not going to be dropping bombs from that height…

matt_outandabout

Honest question
    The Wikipedia page for the missile system being reported suggests a maximum target altitude of 25,000ft…
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buk_missile_system

joolsburger
    Free Member

Ro5ey

Yup pretty easily too. It’s only 6ish miles and a StA missle is very capable of doing so especially a slow, steady target like an airliner.

Target engagement zone

aircraft

altitude – 15 m – 25 km
    range – 3–42 km

TBM

altitude – 2.0–16 km
    range – 3–20 km

sea targets – up to 25 km
    land targets – up to 15 km.

vorlich
    Free Member

Grim news.

Point made on BBC that the rebels have no air capability, so why would the Ukrainians be using StA missiles…

sobriety
    Free Member

so why would the Ukrainians be using StA missiles…

[Tinfoilhat] They’re pissed off at the Russians for knocking down their planes, and this is a good way of stopping them? [/Tinfoilhat]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 337 total)

The topic ‘It may have hit the fan in Ukraine – passenger jet shot down’ is closed to new replies.