Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Isle of Wight routes
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’m spending the weekend on the Isle of Wight. I’ve got a few routes from way back but it’s all bridleway stuff.

Where should we look for more interesting trails? Does anyone have some good GPX tracks?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Bump. No-one? Theres got to be some good stuff on the island…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

There’s quite a bit, a lot of which is tucked away. I may be able to find some GPX routes (bit old school I’m afraid) but I can certainly point you towards the more interesting stuff.

What sort of thing are you after?

aP
    Free Member

Why not ask Tim Cave?

wilko1999
    Free Member

You have mail

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Not looking for downhill runs to session, just some more interesting singletrack to add interest to some trad trail rides.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Dropped you a line Si.

jekkyl

watch out for the inbred white ghettos!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Staying at Niton….

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

watch out for the inbred white ghettos!

😆

chrishc777
    Free Member

Niton you say? What’s your view on riding on footpaths?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Footpaths – fine.

Nettles seem the biggest issue – rode 50km yesterday and only saw a handful of walkers

flap_jack
    Free Member

Is that T shirt real ? As an ex caulkhead I could be interested…

pondy
    Free Member

I’m after the same thing, going down for a weekend in October

chrishc777
    Free Member

The best cheeky trails are round that way Simon, drop me an email if you want directions, they’re a bit too cheeky to liberally post on here really. Anyone else after IOW routes feel free to drop me an email, when I get time I’ll reply!

flap_jack
    Free Member

Out of interest, anyone know why the bike week isn’t happening this september ?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Brightstone Woods trails were fun but we ran out of time to explore it further. The woods off Strawberry Lane looked as if people had put a some work into trails a while back but had stopped riding them – very overgrown.

Nice weather. 29er hardtail was the right choice.

Shame that my over riding memory of the island is the proliferation of dogeggs. Every path we walked on or rode near any habitation (and even a long way from it) was littered with the things. Katie inevitably covered her bike, I just cleaned my shoes. Dog owners fall further and further in my estimation. Just because your dog hasn’t shat right in the middle of the path does not mean you don’t have to clean it up.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Is that T shirt real ? As an ex caulkhead I could be interested…

Yes. Following this. Tees are here.

Out of interest, anyone know why the bike week isn’t happening this september ?

Council cuts. 🙁

Brightstone Woods trails were fun but we ran out of time to explore it further. The woods off Strawberry Lane looked as if people had put a some work into trails a while back but had stopped riding them – very overgrown.

More of a winter spot. About the only place on the island that drains well.

Shame that my over riding memory of the island is the proliferation of dogeggs.

Really? Not something I’ve really encountered… But then the amount I’ve actually ridden this year means there could be triffids on the south of the isle and I wouldn’t be aware of them. 😳

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Really? Not something I’ve really encountered… But then the amount I’ve actually ridden this year means there could be triffids on the south of the isle and I wouldn’t be aware of them.

We *might* have been riding more footpaths than we should have been. Riding or walking out of Niton in all directions this seemed to be a particular issue. Walked the coast path from Niton to Steephill Cove and they seemed to be everywhere.

MrSmith
    Free Member

i stayed in Brightstone this easter and there was some cheeky stuff nearby (was walking only but spotted the tell tale signs) there was a thread about the area with a bit more info. i didn’t want to name the area specifically but a local will know and probably have a route that includes it.
    lovely part of the island.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@simons yes sadly very many dog owners do no pick up.

Photos ?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Photos ?

How you get your kicks is your business but I’m not sending you photos of dog turds

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

We *might* have been riding more footpaths than we should have been.

😆

Tut tut.

Photos ?

Seen ratemypoo.com Jam? Sort of hotornot, but without the faces.

(Disclaimer: N very SFW)

jambalaya
    Free Member

Was hoping for something more like this 😉

farawayvisions
    Free Member

I was over on the IOW at the weekend and rode about half of the Chalk Ridge Extreme on this visit. Stunning views, singletrack, bridleways and some rather overgrown trails. I’ve got a couple of routes on my blog from earlier trips to the island. The island is teeming with fabulous routes and even on a bank holiday, there’s hardly anyone using them.

@Jambalaya the image you posted is on this route http://www.farawayvisions.com/bikepacking-isle-of-wight/ but I can’t seem to post a picture?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Was hoping for something more like this

Seems Anna’s a bit of a regular now 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

I hope so … MRs B did ask last night who was the lady in all the photos I was looking at 😳

Been meaning to do some IOW riding for years, I know the coast line well and the harbours after 20 years of sailing around them. Normally don’t get more than a mile from the water’s edge though as onky have shank’s pony

@faraway thanks for links, will read through later. For photos it depends where you’ve hosted them. I often end up copying pics from webpages and uploading to my photobucket in order to post here which is what I did above

bigyinn
    Free Member

If anyone wants a little tour of the off piste stuff, me chris777 or pmj would probably be happy to take you on a little tour.
    Although my fitness is probably lacking a little as various stuff has prevented me from riding much in this glorious dry spell sadly.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Isle of Wight routes’ is closed to new replies.