Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Isle of Mull – Summer hols
  • Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Anyone been? Looking at going last week in May for a camping trip and a bit of bird/eagle watching. Anyone know what the midge situation will be like or is this not an issue?
    Thanks

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

midges will be horrific

but worth it, Mull is beautiful

We saw a sea eagle on a boat trip last august, goldens are as comon as crows too!

otters everywhere if you are patient, or there's a tame one in tobermory if you are not

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Thanks. Will book a B&B then rather than camp :o)

teagirl
    Free Member

We went late may a few years ago. It was gorgeous. We stayed a couple of miles inland from Ffionphort (sp?) where you catch the ferry to Iona. There is lots of driving to be done to see the whole of the island on singletrack road mainly but worth the effort. We saw a Golden Eagle! The midges weren't too bad at that time of year and with sea breezes they were kept to a minimum. We stayed in a cottage but there is a gorgeous camp site that one year we will go back and stay on that overlooks Iona, stunning scenery. Shops and pubs are thin on the ground unless you're near Tobermory. Rural bliss!

Wiksey
    Free Member

Yep, midges come out to play in May.

The otter that visits The Mish is quite partial to cheese & onion crisps!
    If you're bird watching don't count too many of the "tourist eagles" though 😉

flyingmonkeycorps

Carsaig Arches are worth the walk if you're feeling a bit adventurous – the last bit of path over the first arch to get to the second one was, erm, interesting in the pissing rain, to see the last. Views from the top of Ben More are spectacular apparently, although I didn't see them due to cloud – pretty amazing from halfway up though.

I want to go back now!

squarewheels
    Free Member

Make no mistake, Mull is one of the most beautiful parts of the UK.
    Southwest end is my preference – Fionnfort, Fidgen, Kintra. I think there is camping at Fidden (pronounced Fee-Gin).

Lots of birds of prey around there too. Bit further up but check out the wild goats at Carsaig – hanging on for dear life on the near vert slopes.

The beaches down that way are astonishingly beautiful and all but deserted. Most childhood holidays spent around there. I grew up thinking a beach was something you had to yourself – if someone came along, you packed up and walked on to the next one!

Imaging my shock the first time I went to a Spanish resort!!

the_sea_is_silent
    Free Member

I started veering over to the dark side a couple of years ago and my friend Dave came up with a lovely 200km route which see you cover most of the island.

It's on Bikely here.

I saw the biggest golden eagle the one time I was there. Cracking place, although the midges are almost as legendary as the ones at 10 under the Ben.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Isle of Mull – Summer hols’ is closed to new replies.