Viewing 6 posts - 161 through 166 (of 166 total)
  • Is this sexual and racial discrimination ?
  • Mintman
    Free Member

You seem to be under the misapprehension that morality is dependent on specific knowledge

No, just questioning your knowledge of doctrinal practice and military service that makes you think that serving members of the armed forces which "decide to be the hammer" are at fault according to a war crimes tribunal. Your statement was blindly thrown into the debate with no justification, no back-up and no explanation. I just don't see what that comment added to the debate at all.

You are quite right though that "just obeying orders" is no excuse. Todays servicemen are (in the main) aware of this and act responsibly and appropriately in response to fair and legal orders only. It is the people at the strategic and grand-strategic levels who write policy and who define what is right (or not) that are of interest to war crimes tribunals.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

that makes you think that serving members of the armed forces which "decide to be the hammer" are at fault

I meant that deciding to be a hammer sounds like moral abdication – crime requires some kind of action

It is the people at the strategic and grand-strategic levels who write policy and who define what is right

ie the politicians we can't trust not to fiddle their expenses or to start wars on fictional justification 🙁

Mintman
    Free Member

Yep that's the people, that is why I'm glad it not just the duck pond owning, sister employing (or whatever it actually was) politicians that decide such things on their own.

I suspect the validity of recent conflicts are another debate on their own 😯

landy813
    Free Member

I didn't look very hard did I 😳

Viewing 6 posts - 161 through 166 (of 166 total)

The topic ‘Is this sexual and racial discrimination ?’ is closed to new replies.