Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Is this safe ?
  • dannybee
    Free Member

Changed forks over but the steerer tube is slightly too short, The top of steerer is sitting just under top bolt on stem but if I tighten just the top bolt it feels tight so with both tight hopefully it will be o.k ?

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’ve run similar for years.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Road bike – possibly.

Mountain bike – probably not.

Unless you don’t like your teeth or wear a full facer all the time.

The max I’d do is 5mm and make sure both bolts clamped properly.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

This topic was here a few weeks back. I think the consensus was the steerer needs to be pretty close to the bolt.

IMHO – Not safe in that pic.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Why have you emptied your nose in to your star-nut?

PS – That doesn’t look safe to me.

Bregante

I wouldn’t risk it. As above 5mm max for me. But then I am a bit of a bifter.

mickolas
    Free Member

wouldn’t fancy it. got a lower stack height stem?

tutgareth
    Free Member

Find some tube thats the same diameter (old steerer of something), cut it to the length rquired and shim it, worked for me untill I got some new forks…. though obviously i can’t recommend anyboday else to try it….

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ive ridden worse than that in the past wouldnt worry me at all

But i wouldnt advocate it nor would i hve ever sent a bike out the shop to be ridden like that

Read into that what you will 😉

Northwind

People fixate a little on where the bolt is. You could stick a single bolt stem on that, a Truvativ Team or similiar, and it’ll probably be below the cut, and probably no more secure.

Personally I’d be getting it all as low as possible- lower stack headset or stem if that’s an option. But if not, yeah, I’d ride it. The bottom bolt should offer perfectly good retention, the top will still offer some as well, and it’s not a work-or-die situation, if it does loosen you should become aware of it before it’s dangerous. Some risk of damaging the steerer perhaps.

Junkyard
    Free Member

that seems a little low for me personally. A few mm is fine but that looks like half your stem is off the steerer
    I would prefer a different stem tbh as suggested above though I suspect it would work fine
    The top bolt holds everything in compression so it is just there to allow you to turn – what could possibly go wrong 😉

ninfan
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG5Qk-jB0D4[/video]

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Personally, I’d shove one of these in there:

£11, Job done. Teeth saved. (It works on a 1 1/8 steerer).

dannybee
    Free Member

Cheers for all the replys, Someone mentiones it only looks halfway up the stem but its further up than that here is a better pic the top of steerer is 9mm from top of stem

Junkyard
    Free Member

i would ride that tbh and would not do much with that top bolt

A thompson would Likely clamp up fine if you have the pennies

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

It looks like a world of horror from that angle TBH 😯

Northwind

Why is it full of pollen?

dannybee
    Free Member

Its just crap off the inside of the steerer where I have wiped the grease off camera makes it look filthy but its not that bad honest 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t ride a bike with the stem like that. Not a chance.

allthepies
    Free Member

Perfectly fine IMO, carry on 🙂

zippykona

I wouldn’t ride it.
    Loosen the bottom bolt and see just how much work the top bolt is really doing.

robbieh
    Free Member

Its just crap off the inside of the steerer where I have wiped the grease off camera

Why did you grease the camera?

ThePinkster

What no-eyed-deer said. I use something similar by BBB on my HT and think it’s worth the money for that little bit of assurance.

Edit – weird, why didn’t that link work?

nicko74

Why’ve you emptied a pack of tomato cuppa soup into the steerer – how’s that going to help things?!

dannybee
    Free Member

I wouldn’t ride it. Loosen the bottom bolt and see just how much work the top bolt is really doing

I already did that as I said in my origional post its tight cant move it

GaryLake
    Free Member

Try a Ragley stubbing stem for a lower stack…

float
    Free Member

why bother asking, youre going to ride it anyway.

dannybee
    Free Member

What no-eyed-deer said. I use on my HT and think it’s worth the money for that little bit of assurance.

Cheers to you and no eyed deer will order one just to be on safe side 🙂

patriotpro
    Free Member

What’s with the ginger filings?

char34
    Free Member

must have been eating a bag wotsits while thinking about what to do next

pictonroad

Crikey, one of my bikes is like that, I ride it as hard as I can, never had an issue, not really considered it tbh…

bland

Put a crank brothers headset in as they have a really low stack height so it will bring it all a lot closer and you can pick them up for £25 ish, a lot better than one of them extenders

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Crack Bros?? Hmmm

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

That looks ok to me. See worse.

bigyinn
    Free Member

bland – Member

Put a crank brothers headset in as they have a really low stack height so it will bring it all a lot closer and you can pick them up for £25 ish, a lot better than one of them extenders
    Make sure you keep the receipt for the inevitable warranty return. I’d considered one of those headsets and discounted it after reading the opinions of those who had used one.

rocketman
    Free Member

It’s your face as they say

bigyinn
    Free Member

Not necessarily. It could be your teeth and skull as well…..

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Is this safe ?’ is closed to new replies.