• This topic has 38 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by nonk.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Is this really how to start a sentence?
  • gears_suck
    Free Member

Sorry to harp on, but I’m in the gripe mood tonight.
    People who begin a sentence or start to answer a question with. “So”
    How annoying and frankly condescending is that?

seba560
    Free Member

It’s all in the intonation, innit?

nickjb
    Free Member

Sorry to harp on, but I’m in the gripe mood tonight.
    How annoying and frankly condescending is that?

😯 Yes, poor sentence structure is so annoying.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

And your OP started with the letters S and O.

Brilliant 🙂

scaredypants

Look; we have to move with the times on this and, in honesty, griping about it just makes you look like a poor team-player

johndoh
    Free Member

Is starting a sentence with ‘so’ any worse than starting one with ‘is’?

But as has been said, it’s in the intent – language is what you make it – there aren’t really any rules so long as you broadly follow guidelines.

muzzle
    Free Member

Not as annoying as starting it with ‘OK’.

Pook

there’s a bloke at work who starts about 50% of his sentences with “Go with me…”

NO! YOU’RE JUST GOING TO SAY SOMETHING I DISAGREE WITH YOU GREASY OBNOXIOUS SOD!!!!

Grimy
    Free Member

So, what’s wrong with it exactly? 😉

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Or “look”

bikebouy
    Free Member

Like, I..

djglover
    Free Member

So, I don’t find it as annoying as, like, someone who,… stay with me, ends a sentence early before the full. “Stop”. Init.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s when someone starts a sentence with ‘listen’ that I instantly stop listening.

stumpy01

I wouldn’t use it in a formal manner, like writing a report at work, but what’s wrong with it on an internet forum where a more casual use of the language is probably the norm….?

wordnumb
    Free Member

So many people now begin their sentences this way, I doubt you’ll convince them to change their ways.

radoggair
    Free Member

wait till he sees what people write in their text messages. He’s gonna have a heart attack

dyna-ti

Weeellll 😕 I suppose you could look at it that way

So.Do we understand?

andyrm
    Free Member

Doesn’t annoy me as such, very little does, but I find it very hard to take someone seriously who does it. Comes across as a bit of a “delay” indicating a lack of ability to think fast mid conversation.

globalti
    Free Member

It’s not as annoying as people who say “I was like….” as a lazy way of explaining what was happening.

kayak23

[video]http://vimeo.com/m/30517601[/video]

willard

It’s an American business-ism. Loads of people at work (US company) use it because they give presentations and the like with and to their US customers or colleagues.

Whilst annoying, it’s not as bd as the Aussie lift at the end of a normal sentence.

Or poor grammar.

ononeorange

Well said OP, it is infuriating and indeed condescending. It is a conjunction and therefore the speaker can only be trying to imply that his new subject follows on from a thought that is already underway, ie his assumption is that his audience is thinking about his subject already. How arrogant. That is how I interpret it, anyway.

It drives me mad and its (ab) use in starting threads on here is suddenly a plague. Not quite as bad admittedly as the intolerable abuse of “like”.

And breathe.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

It’s better than, “i’m not a racist, but” 😀

joao3v16
    Free Member

My line manager at work invariably starts his sentences with ‘So’ all the way through our team meetings.

I think it’s his alternative to ‘Um’ or ‘Erm’ when he’s formulating what to say.

Doesn’t do it in normal conversation though, just when spouting in meetings.

Also addresses his team as ‘Men’ in emails (i.e. “Well done, men” after some good results are published). After which point I can’t help reading them in Captain Mainwaring’s voice.

Cougar

Alors, I blame the French.

ThePinkster

muzzle – Member
    Not as annoying as starting it with ‘OK’.

OK, So it’s annoying starting sentences with ‘OK’ or ‘So’ is it?

Is it? Is it really?

😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Language in evolution shocker. Why don’t you complain to the Academie Anglaise?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That isn’t a sentence.

wallace1492
    Free Member

In Glasgow, most sentences start with a strip search, cold shower and being shown to the cell you will share with Big Jamsie……. 😯

wwaswas

That isn’t a sentence.

So true.

gears_suck
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

That isn’t a sentence.

I wasn’t complaining about sentence structue, merely a personal view of the use of the word “so” as a prefix. I’m not claiming I can write any better myself. Get over yourself.

alex222
    Free Member

Sorry

Never apologise

How?

Never ask

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I’m OK with it. It’s a bit too “creative writing” for the sticklers.

nedrapier

Or poor grammar.

Where’s your verb?

rewski
    Free Member

So… starting a sentence with ‘Listen’ gets my goat, Tony Blair did it all the time. If you’re speaking to me I’m already listening… OK?

yunki
    Free Member

d’you know what I can’t stand..?

people who don’t enjoy language, who pick it apart looking for stuff that doesn’t fit with the expectations that their limited experience has imposed upon them..

this narrow attitude is a palsy on the face of communication and betrays a limited intelligence encumbered with pomp and prejudice..

glupton1976
    Free Member

So, did anyone order a saucer of milk for table five?

mogrim

True dat.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR8D2yqgQ1U[/video]

nonk
    Free Member

Get over yourself

You start some moaning whinge ridden thread on fek all and then spout this toss?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Is this really how to start a sentence?’ is closed to new replies.