Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 136 total)
  • Is this actually racial hatred?
  • Flaperon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-11396980

“Six Tyneside men have been arrested after filming themselves apparently burning copies of the Koran on the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

Police said the men, all from the Gateshead area, were detained after a video appeared on the internet.

They were arrested on suspicion of inciting racial hatred and released on bail pending further inquiries.”

I think it’s a fairly moronic thing to do, but I thought one of the great things about living in the UK is that we can do this sort of thing if we want to.

nickc

but I thought one of the great things about living in the UK is that we can do this sort of thing if we want to.

No, you can’t. Which is why they were arrested presumably.

tron
    Free Member

As far as I’m aware, Islam is a religion, not a race, so from the text above, no.

On the other hand, they might have been burning the Koran and using racist language at the same time…

PeteG55
    Free Member

Whilst I agree with your point of view, and it being the great thing about living in a free country and all that, we only have to see how much of response there was to that Dutch cartoonist the other year. Wasp nest, kicking it.

druidh
    Free Member

The charge is “Inciting Racial hatred”. That doesn’t mean that what they actually did was racist, but presumably, a Moslem might see that video and decide they hate the British as a result.

cynic-al
    Free Member

“inciting racial hatred” – seems reasonable to me (I mean that they are culpable of that crime)

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I doubt they were doing it in an attempt to engender greater tolerance or understanding of muslims, somehow.

Filthy
    Free Member

Whilst I don’t agree with burning books, this is another attack on our civil liberties. I’m sick to death of this country and it’s attitude towards so called terrorists.

It seems were not even allowed to have an opinion anymore!

Spongebob
    Free Member

If they are up for insighting racial hatred, they’ll not be convicted because this was religious hatred.

Personally, I can’t see why anyone would get so upset by a bunch of total strangers willfully destroying their own property, but then it’s funny how religion often affects the mind!

tron
    Free Member

The charge is “Inciting Racial hatred”. That doesn’t mean that what they actually did was racist, but presumably, a Moslem might see that video and decide they hate the British as a result.

If that is the position taken, then it would set an odd precedent.

nickc

You have to understand that the Koran is not just the “Islamic Bible”. It has a deeper meaning than that. It’s like some-one taking for instance every possession or thing or person that you’ve ever held dear or love, and saying “These are all heinous and worthless, and are just fit for the bonfire”…then watching your granny go up in flames…

You’d be upset, no?

Cougar

If that is the position taken, then it would set an odd precedent.

Odd precedents are the cornerstone of the English legal system.

noteeth
    Free Member

I’d be annoyed if somebody burnt my back issues of Bike.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Anyone know for a fact if DailySponge is right? You’d have thought the Police might have a clue.

AFAIK the incitement of racial hatred means that folk watching the video would be incited to hate muslims.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

spongebob – under the various acts that govern this sort of thing muslims are considered a race and are given the same protection. Same as jews. Odd tho it seems.

Filthy – I think burning book that is sacred to some is rather more than expressing an opinion. YOu equate all muslims with “so called terrorists”?

Cougar

then watching your granny go up in flames…

Where this analogy fails is, it’s watching someone else’s granny go up in flames.

Drac

I’m sick to death of this country and it’s attitude towards so called terrorists.

The next ship leaves in an hour.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Whilst I don’t agree with burning books, this is another attack on our civil liberties. I’m sick to death of this country and it’s attitude towards so called terrorists.

Eh? ❓

Junkyard
    Free Member

I find it odd that we think we have the right to burn the holiest book and act all surprised that this causes offences. A bit like me thing I have the right to come round your house and calling your wife names and and acting all surprised when you are offended and thump me /kick me out. We have freedom of specch not freedon to offend
    EDIT: Is Filthy trolling or very dull witted? anyone know?

Cougar

the incitement of racial hatred means that folk watching the video would be incited to hate muslims.

1) Muslim isn’t a race, last I checked.

2) The people watching that video probably hate Muslims to start with, I don’t see as they need much inciting.

thomthumb
    Free Member

if they wanted to voice an opinion a well reasoned essay would be a better medium than burning a book.

It is similar to punching a catholic in the face and saying that you don’t agree with the handling of the child abuse. it’s just not the done way to do things.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Think they’re members of the EDL. As I said before, I doubt they were doing it in order to promote racial or religious tolerance.

Filthy
    Free Member

I meant the book burning geordies were been treated as terrorists, not the muslims.

oldgit
    Free Member

Surely it’s religious hatred?
    Muslims are available in many races including the same as that of the book burners.
    Grrr down with Muslims but not white ones?

Spongebob
    Free Member

noteeth – Member

I’d be annoyed if somebody burnt my back issues of Bike.

But you wouldn’t give a stuff if i burned my own copies. Would you?

cynic-al
    Free Member

The people watching that video probably hate Muslims to start with, I don’t see as they need much inciting.

Can you incite yourself to do something?

FAIL!

Drac

I meant the book burning geordies were been treated as terrorists, not the muslims.

How?

RealMan
    Free Member

I find it odd that we think we have the right to burn the holiest book and act all surprised that this causes offences. A bit like me thing I have the right to come round your house and calling your wife names and and acting all surprised when you are offended and thump me /kick me out. We have freedom of specch not freedon to offend

+1

People are burning the book to deliberately piss off Muslims.

Junkyard
    Free Member

spongebob surely you can see the difference – they hold the book to be sacred whoever owns it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Most British Muslims tend to be Brown. So, it’s probbly safe to assume that this was in fact a stunt designed to stir up racial hatred, yes.

I think the mistake was in giving such ignorant stupidity any publicity. Just a bunch of frustrated inadequate pigshit-thick morons with nowt else to do but hate and blame others for their own shortcomings.

Filthy
    Free Member

Drac,

Because the anti terror laws cover “inciting racial hatred”.. hence treated like a terrorist.

RealMan
    Free Member

spongebob surely you can see the difference – they hold the book to be sacred whoever owns it.

Like the Americans get over their flag. Does anyone else really care about their flag the way the Americans do? Not really. Does it make burning an American flag ok? Not really.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member
    CharlieMungus
    Free Member

It seems were not even allowed to have an opinion anymore

Have reported this to Mods.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I’ve just put the kettle on, and I think MrsBarnsley bought some hob nobs yesterday.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

“but I thought one of the great things about living in the UK is that we can do this sort of thing if we want to. “

what gave you that idea?

cynic-al
    Free Member

We have freedom of specch not freedon to offend

No we don’t, nor do we have a right not to be offended.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Filthy – Member

No they were not – they were treated as suspected criminals under various bits of UK law

Filthy – Member

Drac,

Because the anti terror laws cover “inciting racial hatred”.. hence treated like a terrorist.

I think you will find its an admendment to the public order act – nothing to do with anti terrorist legislation

Filthy
    Free Member

why, charlie mungus, I think youve taken it out of context, I was referring to the geordies been treated as terrorists

sobriety
    Free Member

To be honest, inciting Muslim extreemists to blow up Gateshead is probably doing everyone else a favour.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘Is this actually racial hatred?’ is closed to new replies.