Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Is there still snow around the Peak?
  • ChrisA
    Free Member

Like on Tuesday or has if melted / been washed away yet?

doyle
    Free Member

you can see the peaks from where i live and they all looked white but that was wednesday last time i rode,hoping to find out myself as im heading up there sunday

mjb

Nothing much to see in the Hope valley this morning but you’ll probably find some lingering on the higher peaks like Kinder. Much colder today though so i reckon we could get a few cms on the higher ground today especially on the western side.

flyingmonkeycorps

We were up around Ladybower yesterday, and there’s bits and bobs but not a lot. Certainly not to worry about. Looking over towards Kinder there looked to be a fair bit more on the higher Peaks as mentioned.

Quite windy out too.

mjb

Just had a look at the mountain forecast

It’s suggesting 3-8cm above 300m and gale force winds today.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Just seen a skoda drive down Abbeydale road into Sheff with maybe an inch of snow on the roof. Given how much it’s been raining down here, i can believe it’ll be snowing up top

portlyone

*looks out window* Can see white patches and some dark clouds on the taller parts.

ratswithwings
    Free Member

Just been up on Blacka Moor this afternoon and down into hathersage. Kinder looks to have had a covering as have other peaks of a similar height – stanage, blacka moor etc. About an inch in places though hathersage and some lower areas/peaks were snow free. Most of kinder had alot of heavy cloud over it, couldnt see down the valley much from surprise view towards hope. I gather snake pass was blocked for two days this week until they reopened it.

tazzymtb

anyone know what the macc forest side of the peak is like and over cat n fiddle?

justatheory
    Free Member

I’m planning a visit to Cut Gate tomorrow morning.

docrobster
    Free Member

Gonna be cold and icy again I think. Real slippy drive to work over crosspool/redmires this morning. Wife said it was trying to snow in crookes at dinner time. (All SW Sheffield)
    So yes there’s probably still some crunchy white stuff on the tops.
    Compared to this time last year though…nowt significant.

sambob
    Free Member

Cat and Fiddle was closed earlier in the week, Macclesfield – Whaley Bridge road was closed earlier today then opened again, but it was very wet and there was no salt down, so could be extremely icy. Hills have a bit of snow, but nothing that would make riding difficult. Might snow a bit tonight though.

gsp1984
    Free Member

My dad just sent me a pic from the a623 near sparrowpit… Plenty of snow on the ground believe me!

gsp1984
    Free Member

nickhart
    Free Member

try the flash bar stores webcam for uptodate buxton tops weather here

GRAEMEJONES
    tazzymtb

hmmmmm may make the road climb up to cat a big of a bugger on a SS, oh well a big dose of MTFU should sort it

sambob
    Free Member

Now snowing in Whaley Bridge.

unovolo
    Free Member

Been working in Wardlow nr tideswell today,was snow up there and one or to road accidents,no snow in hope or Castletown village but more snow on the tops round Mam tor.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

loads 3 miles from wardlow here (creebrook) and snowing like buggery

Bunnyhop

Was snowing here an hour ago. Lots of hail today, but nothing sticking.
    But guess a lot more higher up toward Kinder.

amodicumofgnar

Apart from yesterday’s thaw which stripped out everything except the deeper drifted snow, at all levels, its been snowing above 400m since Sunday in and around Kinder. The council dont grit or plough Rushup Edge, Mam Nick or Winnats as a priority. Makes driving a little hairy.

I came out through Mam Nick around 18:30 and only just made it – even if that did involve driving up the wrong side of the road! On the Edale side its intermitent tram tracks or compacted snow and frozen slush for most of it. Dont think anyone out riding going to run into really big drifts unless we get a big storm overnight. me though – I’m staying low level this weekend.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

Blizzard in great longstone /ashford area currently

sambob
    Free Member

You riding from home OAP?

simonm
    Free Member

The council dont grit or plough Rushup Edge, Mam Nick or Winnats as a priority. Makes driving a little hairy.

Except they were up there at 4pm gritting as I was driving home, that said.. it had turned to ice, there was a que of 30 cars at the top of winnats not going down it… so I turned around and headed to Sparowpit / Brough to get back to Sheffield from Furness.
    All fun.
    Its been strange this week.. a bit of snow around Ladybower / Winhill etc.. but then the top of mamtor / rushups really got hit hard. Tuesday it was raning in Castleton.. then head up Winnats and by the top there was 2″ on the ground.

ratswithwings
    Free Member

Snowing on Kinder since sunday!!! Ferk how much snow is there on Kinder at the mo? How deep is that stuff – I need to snowboard it!! Anyone been up an over snake pass, whats it looking linke on Bleaklow?

thepodge
    Free Member

its been snowing but its fairly wet so its not been sticking much, Sheffield is currently freezing over so its going to be worse out there. I think I might go on the train to work if it keeps this up.

ChrisA
    Free Member

I was over at stanage on Tuesday and it was quite deep in places. They kept opening and closing the Cat & Fiddle / Woodhead Pass and Snake pass so we headed home after a couple of hours just in case it snowed heavily. Dropping down the snow was mainly higher level, but it’s been cold & wet all week so assumed it wouldn’t be much better now higher up

amodicumofgnar

Snowing on Kinder since sunday!!! Ferk how much snow is there on Kinder at the mo? How deep is that stuff – I need to snowboard it!! Anyone been up an over snake pass, whats it looking linke on Bleaklow?

There was quite a bit but the rain on Thursday did knock it back quite to just drifts. Looking out the window at Brown Knoll this morning and I’d go for more than a dusting but less than a good covering. You can see tussocks of grass through the snow in the fields next to the Pennine Bridleway through the Roych.

Except they were up there at 4pm gritting as I was driving home, that said.. it had turned to ice, there was a que of 30 cars at the top of winnats not going down it…

4pm – I rest my case, the reaction seems to be leave it and let the cars compact the snow on the road between Chapel and Mam Tor. Worst bit is when they do eventually plough into Edale its often just stops a couple of 100m past the bus stop.

Atleast I’ve got snow chains and winter tyres were definately the best thing I ever bought for the car.

gsp1984
    Free Member

Just driven through the peaks on the way to Llandegla, there’s snow even in low lying areas from Chesterfield to Newtown. Looks deep higher up.

Drac

Just driven through the peaks on the way to Llandegla, there’s snow even in low lying areas from Chesterfield to Newtown. Looks deep higher up.

Sounds perfect.

18bikes

clear roads to the shop today – looks like some hill snow off the roads – good to get and ride in I reckon!

nbt

driving through the peaks to get to lllandegla? the mind boggles, truly…

proutster
    Free Member

Macc Forest this morning – about 2 inches on the ground:

Charity Lane:

Looking up towards The Cat and Fiddle (on the right of the picture) from Macc Forest:

Great fun at the moment but when it freezes it’ll be a nightmare!!

nbt

oh that makes me hanker for the good old days of MaccFest – new year riding with randoms from STW. “hobby horsing” down charity lane as it was basically sheet ice and we needed to keep legs out to stabilise the back. Reaching Forest Chapel and everyone thinking “game of soldiers” at the same time and deciding to just go back to the cars round the forest bridleway without going over to three shires head. Reaching the car half frozen then getting to the pub and realising what a good call we’d made and what a great day we’d had

is it time for my afternoon nap now, nurse?

Bunnyhop

proutster – lovely photos.

The snow line seemed to be half way up New allotments just below Chinley churn. Plenty over Kinder.

amodicumofgnar

You can never go wrong with Macc Forest.

gsp1984
    Free Member

driving through the peaks to get to lllandegla? the mind boggles, truly…

I knew someone would say that, I like a bit of variety and was in the peaks last weekend and will be next.

Sometimes I like a chilled loop with jumps without killer climbs and where I don’t rattle to death on non stop rocky descents.

Would be boring riding the same place all the time anyway.

amodicumofgnar

Almost no snow 🙁

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Is there still snow around the Peak?’ is closed to new replies.