Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Is there even a market for 26" singlespeeds these days?
  • 40mpg

Was thinking of having another try to sell mine, but I’m not really sure there’s going to be any interest. Does anyone actually ride 26″ singlespeeds any more?

amedias
    Free Member

Well I still ride them, in fact there’s far too many in my house at present, but from the few nice ones I’ve seen up for sale on forums and eBay recently they seem to be going for peanuts, which is good if you don’t care about big wheelers, bad if you’re trying to sell!

binners

Apparently they’ve become very populer with gibbons, who lack opposable thumbs, thus struggling with shifters. The gibbon mountain bike scene has been quietly on the up since the last ape olympics, whre they triumphed over the orangutans and chimpanzees, and as a result a lot of bored middle aged male gibbons have taken up the sport

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a (used) cotic simple frame off the bay, so yes there are buyers.

Re:peanuts – I also bid on an unused soda frame that went for £410 – piss takingly low price IMO. If I’d actually wanted it I’d have bid a bit more, but it would have cost me a fair amount on parts to do it justice.

amedias
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a (used) cotic simple frame off the bay

the black 16in one last week I was also watching and managed to stop myself bidding on as a ‘spare’ to my brown one?

thepodge
    Free Member

One of the reasons I sold the fat bike and didn’t buy a 29er was I’d have no idea what to do with a redundant 26 ss… I say “a” 26 ss but I have three of them

RobHilton
    Free Member

amedias – Member

the black 16in one last week I was also watching and managed to stop myself bidding on as a ‘spare’ to my brown one?

That’s the bugger :mrgreen:

I’ve been hankering for a nice steel frame since I went all 20th century with carbon a few years ago – now MissisRob needs a bike to ride to work on I’ll build her the one I want 🙂

amedias
    Free Member

I say “a” 26 ss but I have three of them

There was once a time, now long since passed, where I owned more SS bikes than I had gears on my geared bike 😯

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

You had a Chopper?

Mister-P
    Free Member

I miss my Genesis iO for titting about on. I loved the simplicity of it and it was perfect for hacking to and from work. If there is no market for 26″ wheeled SS bikes I might be able to buy one to replace it.

Mister-P
    Free Member
    amedias
    Free Member

You had a Chopper?

no, a 9speed MTB 😳

hardtailonly

@40mpg … what have you got to sell, and how much do you want for it? I’ve been slowly acquiring some bits and pieces for a CHEAP light 26 rigid SS project (have a Kraken frame circa 2006, and some carbon forks so far!), but might be tempted to abandon that if what you have fits the bill and is CHEAP (did I mention that before?!)

monkeychild
    Free Member

£300 for an IO???? Wow, I paid less than that for one new many years ago. They are a cracking bike, though the std wheels are crap.

kerley
    Free Member

A 26″ singlespeed is my only bike but the market for them is going to be pretty small these days I would think.

But then again as there are not many for sell any good ones may be picked up by people who still find it is all they need (just as it was 10 years ago)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

40mpg – It is worthless, just give it to me

munrobiker
    Free Member

I have just acquired one at the weekend. Surely 26″ is now more singlespeedy, given it’s now a niche?

Haze

Sticking with my 26 Simple, it’s worth more to me than anything the fashion victims can offer 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

@amedias

I don’t have any geared bikes any more so I too have more bikes than gears

Junkyard
    Free Member

I have a love hate frame that was 1/2 price new as it was unfashionably small

Would I buy another – possibly when /if it breaks

jonjonjon3
    Free Member

picked up a new sanderson soloist frame a while back, now built up rigid. Its fast becoming my favourite bike, awesome on twisty singletrack

amedias
    Free Member

@thepodge – internet high five to you! 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

I don’t have any geared bikes any more so I too have more bikes than gears

Hang on, you must have at least one gear per bike unless you have a balance bike?

nedrapier

I’ve got 2 now. Wouldn’t sell the first one unless the money on offer was literally insane. But the 2nd one was given away to me.

What a nice chap.

Edit: although when he gave it to me, it was 3×7. But the shifters were seized, and so was the freewheel. don’t know what that does to the obsolete/niche/money maths.

tthew

There’s a market for everything. Just depends if you’re happy selling for what the market deems it’s worth.

Klunk
    Free Member

just got in from a 3hr ride on my 26″ simple,which I got of here just before christmas, absolutely love it. 😀

tazzymtb

Pffft there’s no market for any ss bike these days its all fatbikes and 1×10 gnar boingers. Anyone who rides an ss these days is so painfully anachronistic its embarrassing

ciderinsport
    Free Member

WorldClassAccident – Member
    40mpg – It is worthless, just give it to me

Seems a perfect auction item for the Big Bike Bash – after all 40mpg doesn’t give us much else 😉

(I’m sure this comment will cost me in either cider or a birthday present!)

thepodge
    Free Member

@rubber buccaneer

I have a bike with no gears / rear wheel. I have to swap it out depending on which I want to ride

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Is there even a market for 26" singlespeeds these days?’ is closed to new replies.