• This topic has 30 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Wally.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • is there an easy way to fit ESI chunky grips
  • stevie750

Spent ages yesterday trying to fit some ESI chunky to some knuckleballs’ using ipa. Only managed to get half of one on. Any suggestions on an easier way to do it

mikewsmith
    Free Member

meths or window cleaner last time

daveh
    Free Member

Baby wipes for me.

warpcow
    Free Member

Someone on here said to use zipties inside and just slide them on. Works a great and Rhen just pull out the zipties.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I use a bit of the anitseptic hand cream gel. Put a bit in the grip and handlebar. Slide it on.

It’s basically alcohol as above.

jonba
    Free Member

You need a liquid that will evaporate once fitted but will let them slide on.

I’ve used unwanted cheap aftershave, out of date first aid kit wipes, window cleaner and water (although that took a while to dry).

riddoch

Lots of ipa and slap them on, with your hand covering the end. You need a surprising amount of iPa as it evaporates so quickly.

damascus
    Free Member

I gave up on the instructions and used Hairspray

Houns

Hairspray

stuker
    Free Member

i always use a compressor to get them on and off. takes 5 mins and you can get them exactly alinged

dirtyrider
    Free Member

instructions specifically state windowlene don’t they? they certainly used to,

edit: now states

WASHABLE. INSTALL/REMOVE WITH RUBBING ALCOHOL- WINDOW CLEANER- COMPRESSED AIR

i use windowlene

Alpha1653

Another vote for zip ties.

timbo678
    Free Member

GT 85 for me and a load of effort

RestlessNative
    Free Member

hand sanitiser here, inside the grip and a wipe on the handlebar and they slide straight on and set fast…trying to get them off is the fun bit

sparkyrhino

Spit,and dont forget to fit end caps first

tang
    Free Member

Window cleaner here. Spray loads in then slide on, easy. When removing lay bike in its side squirt a bit under, pull it down and repeat.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Alcohol for me. Then when i’m hammered i just put the grips in the bin!

Basil

Hand sanitizer and remember to get the thick & thin foam of the grip orientated before it vaps off.

cp

They’re not that difficult! Have them on several bikes and car windscreen wash does it every time.

mintimperial

i always use a compressor to get them on and off. takes 5 mins and you can get them exactly alinged

Huh. I spent flipping ages the other week faffing about getting mine on using loads of IPA. Wrestled them onto the bars eventually and gave up on the idea of moving the thicker bit round on the grounds that life is too damn short.

Just popped out to see if the compressor trick works, and now I really wish I’d tried it earlier. Football needle inflator thing, ~80PSI under the grips, bish bosh. Amazing. 😀

welshfarmer

Yep, compressor here. Read it on the instructions so have always done it that way. I had not realised it was a problem for others!!

monkeyboyjc

a good squirt of alcoholic hand gel – never an issue, they slip on an it takes a few mins for it to evaporate so you can line them up right – better than the rubbing alcohol recomended by esi as it evaporates too quickly.

stevie750

Thanks for all the replies. The half on grip is now on. Covered some zip ties in alcoholic hand gel and then forced them between grip and bar, the grip then slid on.

Northwind

If you’ve got a compressor then yep, that, stupid not to. But cableties are the next best imo. Big fat ones, put the grip on rails.

Denis99
    Free Member

Hot soapy water.

Soak the grip first, then use a small amount of soapy water and apply washing up liquid to the bar and the inside of the grip.

Take a clean dry rag, start the grip on the bar, and pull the grip onto the bar.

Probably takes two minutes.

Leave to dry overnight.

singlespeedstu

It’s getting the **** to stay on the bars in wet weather i struggle with.
    Getting them on is piss easy.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

It’s so easy, I don’t get it.

epicyclo

Lots of slobber works and doesn’t evaporate as fast as alcohol. 🙂

matthewlhome
    Free Member

I have used water and put on a pair of bike gloves to be able to grip the grip. Then push them from the end and twist them on. Just make sure to leave them for a day to dry and they shouldn’t spin. Used the normal ones in torrential rain at dusk til dawn a few years ago and they didn’t slip at all.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

zip Ties and make sure you get the fat bit of the grip on the right place

Wally

3M mount spray glue – slippy as hell and then dries making them like stick to bars. Easily removed with GT85 and screwdriver to get spray under grips. Done about 10 sets this way – never fails.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘is there an easy way to fit ESI chunky grips’ is closed to new replies.