Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Is the USE SUMO Aluminium Seat Post any good?
  • FieldMarshall

I’m looking for a seatpost for my new Bfe, and have read that people use the SUMO in preference to the Thomson, in order to “soften” the ride.

Is it as hard wearing as the Thomson? (As it is likely to see a lot of up and down movement.)

How secure is the seat clamp arrangement? (I prefer a two bolt set up i.e. as per Thomson as once it is setup it never comes loose.)

Cheers

billyboy
    Free Member

Do Not Bother

I used a Sumo…did it up at the clamp to the correct torque setting… first ride the saddle moved to a ridiculous angle…so I tightened the clamp with a multi tool and the bolt housing shredded…ending my ride.

Got a new clamp unit…same thing.

Friend had the same experience

Stick with Thomson…I’ve yet to break one

FieldMarshall

Cheers, seems like a NO then

foureyes
    Free Member

similar story here, first ride it slipped, but after a tighten it held. it was a carbon one and it did soften the ride a lot. getting the saddle out 6 months later was an ordeal. I’ve gone back to thomson, i like the look of the sumo though

mtbfix

Similar reports here. Mine was prone to slipping/rotating on the clamp and when it came to loosen it to reposition the saddle the darned clamp was stuck fast. I’ll continue to use it but much prefer my Thomson posts.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I won one once and it went on a mate’s bike (wrong size for mine).
    It is nicely finished and light, clamp bolt itself was fine but just the other day the top of the shaft split down the back and the whole clamp came out. He is 11 1/2 stone, rides the bike 4 miles to work 5 days a week and has done maybe a couple of dozen proper off road rides and events on it.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

The seat clamp separated from the post on mine.

veedubba

Um, alu and carbon ones fine and in regular use here…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Carbon one has been fit and forget for my lardy ass for the last few years!

craig1975
    Free Member

I can highly recommend the USE Sumo Carbon… been using it on my Bfe since last Summer.. I’m 16stone…. goes a long way to help remove some trail buzz.. it ain’t missed a beet… plus it looks good with the carbon weave…

takisawa2

About that weight here when I had one on a Pace 303 ht. Took the sting out, but had to give in in the end. Post was fine.

Ben_mw

I had one on my Soul and the clamp was excellent – until it came unstuck from the rest of the post mid ride. Bought a cheapie from Blazing saddles? in Hebden Bridge to finish my ride, and that is awful! Was rather miffed when Wiggle just refunded me for the Sumo, rather than replace it, due to lack of stock. Would get another.

Slacks
    Free Member

I have a carbon one on my Superlight. Must be 2 years now and i’ve never noticed it. In a good way.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

A mate has one and the clamp is poor, hold when t feels like it and the bonding into the post is so poor it wobblies like a cheap Upsie-downie one.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Is the USE SUMO Aluminium Seat Post any good?’ is closed to new replies.