Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Is the stock answer still Giant Defy?
  • mtbel
    Free Member

As Tired pointed out, the difference in fit between a M defy with a 120mm stem and a M TCR with a 100mm stem is only around 5mm but the difference between using a 100mm stem and a 120mm stem will actually have quite a significant effect on handling.
    I happen to prefer a quicker steering roadbike and my preference is towards race bike geometry with a shorter stem nice and low. I’m actually way more flexible than most too.
    We’re all different though and “nicer handling” is clearly subjective.

can’t you test ride both sizes with suitable length stems?

TiRed

Agreed. When I test rode the medium, the Giant store swapped the stem for a 110 mm. And I knew I needed a 115 to match the TCR I then had. I took it racing 😈 . Then when I bought it, they put on a 115 for free.

Now I’m a little more flexible, nothing special, and my reach on both bikes has grown 5mm. But I can still ride on the drops for long periods at a time.

Test ride is the best answer. You’ve ridden a long way, now ask for a longer stem and see how you feel.

Btw I raced the Defy for a season of masters circuit races and still race it on the potholes of surrey for the smooth ride and light weight. I race the Propel for all other races. They are different, but if I had to have just one, it would be the Defy. A bit like choosing HT vs short travel FS. Nice not to have to choose.

firestarter
    Free Member

Ive a 90mm stem on my road bike and it feels absolutely fine.

Nobby

Just spent ages considering a load of road bikes, albeit at a higher price point, but ended up with a similar short list. I found the Defy good but uninspiring, the Synapse just didn’t feel right & I ended up with a Cube Agree – I’d also looked at various bikes from Spesh, Trek, Cervelo, Willier, Bianchi, Orbea, Scott, Colnago and even considered a Canyon.

As a package, the Cube stood out from all the others from build, spec & ride points of view and the reviews were consistently positive.

All IMHO, of course.

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Blatant plug……..

I’ve got this for sale at the moment –

Very nice aluminium frame, Dura Ace 10 speed double. Dura Ace gears, brakes, shifters, cranks. Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL wheels. 3T carbon bars.

Open to offers…….

jimster01

Open to offers…….

As it’s a blind sale – photo not showing – not sure of size – £3.50

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

Picture shows for me. Anyone else able to see it?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member
    Yes.

Mine’s been a winter / turbo bike for two years now. Nothing has changed, worn gone wrong. I regularly knock out >100k ride confortably on club runs. No foibles.

This could apply to most big brand road bikes if not all.

Specialized, Cannondale and others all make great bikes at these prices.

If a bike wins magazine awards, look at where it’s been tested – in a nice sunny location abroad? Bike Co is paying for that, doesn’t mean the bike is the best, there’#s very little to separate the good bikes in this sector.

njee20
    Free Member

Picture shows for me. Anyone else able to see it?

Nope, but I’m feeling generous. So I’ll go to £4.85.

GavinB

£4.91, and that’s my final offer.

Sorry njee20, I’m taking no prisoners on this one!

Mister-P
    Free Member

Is “very nice” a new brand I’ve not heard of. That must make it niche, I’ll go to £4.98 and I’ll chuck in a snack pack of 6 Oreos.

jimster01

*gloves off* £5.23 and a packet of Jammie Dodgers, may even slip in a packet of chocolate hob-nob flapjack for postage. 8)

GavinB

That does sound niche, or is it a little…

[video]http://youtu.be/9mPtKgX370k[/video]
    http://youtu.be/9mPtKgX370k

jimster01

Perhaps dbukdbuk’s photo is showing shody blockpaving??

Mister-P
    Free Member

Back on topic, I had a Cervelo S1 which I ran a 90mm stem on it. It never felt quite right. Going down a frame size and putting a 110mm stem felt much better. I’d avoid going that short again.

eshershore
    Free Member

I run 90mm stem on my medium Defy and it feels spot on in terms of bike fit and handling, I am 5’10” with 32″ inseam

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Is the stock answer still Giant Defy?’ is closed to new replies.