Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Is my shock borked??
  • renton
    Free Member

Riding home from work this evening I happened to look down down at my shock at notice quite a large amount of oil gathered around the O ring?

Is that a normal amount of oil to have or am I right in thinking the shock maybe a bit broken??

The shock has done a max of 60 miles from new?

LoCo
    Free Member

Wiper seal faulty and leaking float fluid, or damper seals blown damper fluid leaked into air can and then out of wiper due to pressure etc.

Either way return to place or purchase for return to Fox for a warranty inspection.

renton
    Free Member

Thanks for the info Loco.

Any ideas why it would be doing that??

I had a good days riding on it Saturday but it never bottomed out at all?

The only thing I have done to it is change the volume spacer following the guide on the pinkbike forum for a bigger one ?

Also what if I wasnt the original purchaser of the bike even though its brand new and I have the original receipt?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    renton
    Free Member

Could it just be a case of too much float oil in there and its blowing it out ??

Or is that wishful thinking?

twohats
    Free Member

Quite normal for new Fox shocks to weep oil. I wouldn’t worry.

renton
    Free Member

Cheers Ive wiped it for now and will monitor over the next week or so!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Obviously twohats knows better than a man whose living it is to service, tune and repair these things. 🙄

renton
    Free Member

bigyinn…. I understand that completley.

Ive also read a few threads on the internet about it being a common thing on new fox shocks.

As i said I will monitor it for a week or so and then if its still doing it then I will need it looked at.

Just not sure where I stand warranty wise as effectively the bike was secondhand to me??

skydragon
    Free Member

The only thing I have done to it is change the volume spacer following the guide on the pinkbike forum for a bigger one ?

did you remove the metal bushing from the shock before you took the air can off? If not you have probably knackered the seal (ask me how I know this… I ended up with the same end result as you)

Easy Fix, just buy a Float seal service kit (from mojo or ebay) and replace the seals, it’s an easy 20 min job anyone can do, no need to send off for a service

renton
    Free Member

skydragon.

I didnt even need to slide the can that far down it was quite easy to change the spacer tbh.

LoCo
    Free Member

A new shock can run a bit ‘wet’ on the wipers due to residual float fluid, from assembly, on the wiper seal or sometimes from around the threads of air can, see how you go if it’s still leaking after a few more rides excessively get it back for an inspection, just looks a fair amount in the first photo.
    It’s not going to imminently explode or anything though 😉

renton
    Free Member

Loco whilst you are on ……

Is there anything you can do to this shock to make it more suitable to my weight at 115 kgs and make it fell like my old rp23 did on my dw link 5 spot?

twohats
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member
    Obviously twohats knows better than a man whose living it is to service, tune and repair these things.

Seeing as its part of my day to day work too I thought I might try to reassure the OP, but hey ho, the usual way of STW.

LoCo
    Free Member

Not a huge amount you can do with the CTD Evo I’m afraid tuning wise, they’re similar to the Triad/RPL models which due to their design limit tuning to a fair degree.

@twohats, Baileys? Not the twohats I though you might be 😉

renton
    Free Member

Arse !!

What shock would you recommend for the newer Giant Trance models then ?

LoCo
    Free Member

RP23 if you can get one cheap online new/old stock.
    CTD trail adjust
    Monarch RT3

renton
    Free Member

Cheers for the info.

What tune rp23 would suit it best?

Ditto the monarch?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Is my shock borked??’ is closed to new replies.