Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Is my LBS selling me a line?
  • hora
    Free Member

I’ve never ridden a FS in anger. I have however ridden one as though it was a fine wine or treated vulgulary as though it was a cheap tart.

aboutbikes
    Free Member

I have to say, having been a big full suss fan for over a decade I cant see why anyone with enough wedge would choose a HT over a properly specced susser-especially now the sussers are so sorted.

HT’s are great to start with, and hone skills and theres a lot of people who really love long travel, hard hitting HT’s…..but…..

If you are of a certain age (as I am) and like a bit of comfort, a susser can pretty much out-ride a HT in every aspect. They climb better (unless its on a motorway), descend better, are hardly heavier and allow you to doze though things you would avoid on a HT.

Sure, it makes you lazy but….who cares…its about enjoying the ride.

Just my opinion….but I’ve been around a bit!!

To address the OP:

Our sales trends seem to be HT up to £800 and FS from £1700 upwards…..we advise customers away from a susser much below £1500rrp as they tend to be low spec and weighty. Most customers who are looking for their second bike (not a second bike) tend to save up for a susser.

soperman
    Free Member

Thanks for all the feedback peeps.

I’m 46 and ride in Cornwall. Certainly not buying a new bike yet (gotta get really back into it…) but was interested for feedback on what I’d been told

I did get the impression it was because that was what the stock was, and they are (used to be?) a road orientated shop.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I feel like there might be a general theme forming:
    1 New rider – gets a hardtail cos it’s cheaper and wants to get into the sport
    2 Wants to progress – under force of marketing and salesman buys a FS it works for a time as a skills compensator and makes it possible for rider to ride and enjoy tougher longer trails
    3 More progression comes – rider gets love back for HT (or SS) to ensure continued enjoyment of easier trails and keep down costs associated with riding a lot.

This is a sweeping generalisation of course but does it work as a potential hypothesis?

Stiggy

Ha! Crotchrocket: you’ve just about summed me up there! 🙂

stever
    Free Member

If you’re anywhere near http://cornwallcyclecentre.co.uk/, I know Mikey from there. He doesn’t tell fibs.

mrbump
    Free Member

@ crotchrocket
    this is very true in xc/trail riding and exactly what happened to me and many freinds.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

You only have to pick up a magazine to see he’s talking poop.

Since when have journalists lived in the real world?

I think some posters have been a bit harsh on the shop. I’d love to fill my shop with one of everything and plenty of demo models but if I did that in my current location I’d have to reclassify myself as a museum in a couple of years.

Hardtails are good, full sussers are good, fully rigid singlespeeds are good. Spend a bit of time finding out what floats your boat before taking the plunge.

chakaping
    Free Member

I feel like there might be a general theme forming:
    1 New rider – gets a hardtail cos it’s cheaper and wants to get into the sport
    2 Wants to progress – under force of marketing and salesman buys a FS it works for a time as a skills compensator and makes it possible for rider to ride and enjoy tougher longer trails
    3 More progression comes – rider gets love back for HT (or SS) to ensure continued enjoyment of easier trails and keep down costs associated with riding a lot.

Maybe, but most riders (not most riders on here) don’t make it to stage three.

And then a lot of the ones who do, keep their FS as well.

juan
    Free Member

soperman a couple of things here.
    What the market is very much depend of your location. Here anyone getting serious about mtbing is going to get a FS. HT are not the norm (unless you want to start or and are on a budget) around here. But then what is true here isn’t going to be true elsewhere (here being the southern border between France and Italy). Back in soton, the norm was having a SS steel HT. So maybe you have to consider your shop was not liying to you.
    Second. If you are coming back I would go down the HT route. It might be your old one, or something a friend let you or a cheapish new one but I would ride HT a year or so to get the skills back and to be sure you’ll enjoy MTBing. No need for a ubber expensive bike. Something along the lines of 500£ will get you a very capable mtb.
    Hope this helps.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

@stiggy,
    It pretty much describes me too, I think I’m part of a ‘movement’ lol
    Plus I’ve been through a couple of HT and FS but only kept one FS and 2 HT (1 SS) 😉

I guess the challenge facing riders like us is to pick the right rig as a long term next purchase. But I don’t know what style of riding I will be capable of in the next 5 years…
    Crystal ball anyone?

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Is my LBS selling me a line?’ is closed to new replies.