Viewing 26 posts - 201 through 226 (of 226 total)
  • Is it too soon for a lights thread?
  • back2basics
    Free Member

how do you know what rechargeable batteries fit what lights when going down the china / ebay route? i’ve got a magicshine battery (and light) and want to connect a front and/or rear light to it, but not sure what connections would go with what – is there a way to tell?

AlexSimon

Hunk Lee battery performed as well as hoped – BT21 3 hours on mid setting and the light only moved onto the second led colour (blue out of 4) for the last descent.

Really pleased.

Edit: I should say that previously with the solarstorm battery case and 4xkeeppower 3100mAh batteries, I always had the problem that one battery would discharge before the others so runtime would be limited (about half that of the Hink Lee Panasonic)

muggomagic

Sounds good Alex. Have you tried it with BT70 yet?

AlexSimon

I didn’t get a BT70 in the end – I cancelled after reading that I wouldn’t able to use my existing battery pack (which is obviously now moot). A friend has just ordered the full BT70 package though so I may have a test soon.

strawdog
    Free Member

can anyone recommend a case for the 4 x 18650 batteries ?? – ive got the generic solarstorm style one which I bought last year and was out on the 1st night ride last night, the light was switching off on every bump… very frustrating!…I put the issue down to the case as when tightened up it would intermittently come back on – and ive got 4 x genuine panasonic batteries

I’ve looked on ebay and they all look the same and seem to come out of the same factory – so should I just get another or is anyone using another case or setup to house there batteries?

any advice appreciated

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Do you have the original solarstorm case (with the springs at the bottom and fixed contacts in the cap)? If so I pulled out the silicone seal in the cap and trimmed out around the batteries, just leaving the edge in place to keep the case water tight. I think it is too thick and stops the batteries making proper contact in the cap. This can also cause the problem Alex mentions of batteries discharging unevenly.

strawdog
    Free Member

I’ve got the original solarstorm case but the springs are in the top cap that unscrews and the fixed contacts are in the bottom of the main case.

The battery stickers had worn off and I accidentally put the battery’s in the wrong way around so am wondering if something has shorted in the case – but it does seem to be an similar issue as you have described

richardthird

For info, Gearbest delivering around 14 days. Torch arrived yesterday, BT40s package on a separate order should be here in the next couple of days.

blader1611
    Free Member

First ride out on the bt21 full package and i was very impressed. Things to note are that the light seems a bit more yellow than my magicshine which is odd but i think it may just clash with that light. It was hard to tell when it was on turbo mode as there wasnt any great step up from high mode, yet again that could be down to the other light. These are very very small details and shouldnt put people off buying them plus it wasnt really a good ride for lights.

scandal42
    Free Member

I received my SSX3 from Gearbest yesterday and it was spot on last night.

First time I have purchased a SS and it’s been genuine (retail box, no screws in faceplate and correct connector in the rear)

For the price it’s a bargain, I also picked up a 6 cell battery pack to use with it.

X2 on lid and X3 on bars, looking forward to testing it out in the night enduro at Degla 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

First ride with the nitefighter BT40 last night, pretty disappointed.

Light is a lot yellower than anything else I’ve used, and doesn’t have the penetration to be good enough as a helmet light, lagging way behind my 3 year old lumenator and the DIY LED upgraded Lumis from even longer ago.

Consigned to commuting duties, although one positive is that the battery is the same connection as the lumenator, so it’ll make for a spare at the puffer.

richardthird

The yellowness is the new neutral white LEDs. Appear less bright but more definition apparently. Will get completely lost if paired with a bright white older bar light.

The MTBR lot use the 40s as a bar light because it has low throw, and the long throw 21 on the lid. I prefer a torch on the lid so have gone for a Convoy S3 XM-L2. Can’t test em till my 40s turns up.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If it gets lost paired with an older white LED, it’s pretty pish for night riding with mates then.

It is a more ‘natural’ looking light, but I was hoping for a narrower beam, that’s all.

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

BT40s turned up and looks good.

BT21 didn’t although ordered at same time. I emailed them last night and they say they’re having stock problems but expect them within 7 days so hopefully not too long. Build quality looks superb for the price.

blader1611
    Free Member

Went to the dales last night and gave the bt21 a good test. I can confirm just like nobeerinthefridge says above that it does emit a yellowy light that does get lost with my magicshine light. Not really a problem as the magicshine is on the bar illuminating the path and 21 on the lid shining on everything else. I got used to it after a while but i might just buy another 21 (headunit only at £15) as it fits my magicshine battery and see what its like with 2 neutral white lights.

leeroybrown
    Free Member

the bt21 is £26.81 now

marc
    Free Member

I’ve splashed out on a set of Torchys BK 7even. Apparently 3300 lumen with decent run times.

£80, but after a few runs using them they seem good value compared to my mates £25 2500 lumen ebay specials which die after about two hours without warning

zippykona

What lightweight 18650 battery torch is the current fave for your helmet?
    My current one has died. Would prefer a spot and not too heavy.

gravitykids
    Free Member

What lightweight 18650 battery torch is the current fave for your helmet?
    My current one has died. Would prefer a spot and not too heavy.

I use a Convoy C8 XM-L2 T6 (depending on your bar light you might want a U2) with a smooth reflector. It has a great spot with a neutral tint and the throw is fantastic.
    You can configure it to have low, medium and high modes (eliminating the flashing modes).
    It’s not the most compact torch, but it fits neatly to my helmet using a couple of Go-Pro mounts.
    Performs brilliantly and I don’t notice the weight on my helmet.
    It compliments my BT40S bar light a treat.
    For the £8.80 that it cost me from Gear Best it was a bargain (it’s a little bit more pricey now).

http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_188779.html

kamenev
    Free Member

I thought this would be the best place to post this rather than start a new thread.

I had a quick look on the C and B seen website which has recently been updated.

I noticed they now do some very nice looking multiple led lights with optics and nice large capacity batteries. They come with the new(ish) XP-L emitters

1900 Lumen bike light

3000 lumen bike light

Obviously not as cheap as Nitefighter lights but they do come with newer emitters and C and B seen offer excellent after service.

philwarren11
    Free Member
    Wally

My guess is just head of unit.

philwarren11
    Free Member

No battery! lol.

jmatlock
    Free Member

I have narrowed my choice down to three models.

Hope R8 – £240
    Exposure Maxx D – £310
    Exposure 6 pack – £350

I have a solarstorm X2 currently.

Any one owned any or all of these and can steer me? Hope is a fair chunk cheaper at the moment.

stumpy01

I keep looking at getting new batteries for my Spokeshirts light that I bought about 5 years ago and building myself up a new battery.

But, looking up there at the lights that Kamenev mentions via c&bseen – a 1900 lumen light with decent battery from a UK supplier for <£60. It’s hardly worth the effort of doing it myself!

fingerbang
    Free Member

hi, I have a hope vision 2 circa 2008 and the charger has bust. Its a ‘push fit’ charger – “two cells Li charger – model: CLI021A00144”

Can anyone suggest a decent value replacement? The only direct replacement I can see is a hope branded one from Jejames for £20.

Viewing 26 posts - 201 through 226 (of 226 total)

The topic ‘Is it too soon for a lights thread?’ is closed to new replies.