Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Is it just me that has suspicions…
  • bearnecessities

..that the same folk that snap up the ‘free’ listing from here?

Won’t bleat on as to why I think this, but it’s not totally unfounded 🙂 – am I just suspicious or has anyone else thought this?!

SaxonRider

Don’t understand… ❓

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve no idea what you mean.

footflaps

Don’t understand…

+1

epicsteve
    Free Member

I have my suspicions that someone has had a drink or two…

richmars

Yes, I thought that as well.

bearnecessities

Really? My bad, I’ll try again.

People often give things away for free in the classifieds, in the spirit of generosity/community/whatever.

I’ve thought on a few occasions, that the same few folk just snaffle it up – which to me, doesn’t really say that it’s something they need, rather than it’s just free so they take it.

Like I say, might be just me!

I have my suspicions that someone has had a drink or two…

You’d make a crap Ironside then. Not sure what was so baffling about the OP?!

Merak

Got any free stuff?

piemonster

FWIW, I understood what you meant on the first post.

molgrips
    Free Member

It could be that it’s the same people who are hard up but still like to ride a lot…?

Shackleton

I hadn’t noticed. Certainly none of them did me the favour of picking up the free 26″ tyres I was offering up a few weeks ago to make some space in the garage.

DezB
    Free Member

I did too, but how would you arrive at this theory?

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

As someone who has given away free stuff on the forum I share your concerns.

I advertised a heap of tyres for free a while back in the hope of them benefitting some of the forum contributors I’ve conversed with/received help from/enjoyed reading about.
    In reality the first 20 people to mail me were purely classified users only which, as cynical as it might be, made me just think they were going to take them for free then sell them.

footflaps

They could add a feature whereby new Classifieds are only shown to Premium members for 24 hours and then all and sundry…..

scuttler

Anyone tried freecycle? Some of the fake-sincerity bollocks I got on there was unbelievable. Only ever punted stuff at people who could spell, didn’t respond within the first six hours and kept it sounding real (so apologies to all the quadriplegic nephews out there who needed a toastie maker for their first year at the University of Stavanger)

footflaps

I gave away a motorbike helmet on Gumtree the other week…

Most stuff just goes to the local Charity shops, of which we have a good selection.

DezB
    Free Member

In reality the first 20 people to mail me were purely classified users only which, as cynical as it might be, made me just think they were going to take them for free then sell them.

Just tell them someone’s claimed the freebees already and give em to regulars…

Anyone tried freecycle? …Some of the fake-sincerity bollocks…

Er, yes, I’ve given stuff away on Freecycle.org (not cycle related) and never had any fake bollock type goings-on.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Completely agree Bear.

I haven’t sold anything on here for quite some time, but I usually ask the “going rate” since it’s likely to be bought by someone I don’t know anyway.

It’d be nice to sell stuff cheaper to actual forum users that I have top bantz with.

Saying that, a chap on ebay messaged me about buying a carbon headset top cap I’d advertised as part of a job lot of stuff I just wanted rid of.

Told him I’d just give him it for nowt…So I stuck it in the post…A few days passed…Then, out of the blue I received a message with a pic of his new bike he’d just built up! It was the missing piece of the puzzle; none of the other top caps he’d tried had worked. He sounded dead chuffed, it made my day.

crankboy
    Free Member

Once on freecycle giving away a quite large baby change table I was quite struck by the total lack of interest shown in the item by the very organised ladies who collected it and had the real feeling I’d see the item on eBay within 24 hours . On the other hand good luck to them I could not be bothered to try and shift it.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Just tell them someone’s claimed the freebees already and give em to regulars…

I did.

bearnecessities

Nice, David 🙂 That’s the warm feeling you want isn’t it, just helping someone out.

I just don’t see that happening in ‘for sale’ – the bike forum/wanted forum yes, as reactions to calls for help – it just annoys me that well-meaning folk that stick stuff in the ‘for sale’ (for free), in my opinion, are not having their philanthropy benefiting the people that actually need it and just being taken by the usual suspects (who either hoard, or sell – who knows)

bamboo
    Free Member

I think that you see it in all walks of life though. Several very well paid people where I work are notorious for grabbing free stuff just because they can, giving no consideration to the idea that other people who perhaps don’t earn as much or might benefit from it more are losing an opportunity as a result of their behaviour.

househusband

I’d rather have my postage covered and see something appreciated and used than have it forever sit in my spares box – or be binned. Haven’t ever felt that I’ve had the mickey taken.

jkomo

I got some free brakes last week, using on my rat build. Well chuffed, it’s not the first free thing I’ve had, but defo worth the most. I’ve also sent free stuff out, and paid the postage myself to try and do my bit. I also don’t haggle if the price is in the ball park when buying stuff off here.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Nice, David That’s the warm feeling you want isn’t it, just helping someone out

Exactly!

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ll take some tubeless compatible 26″ mud tyres.. specifically a single dirty dan 🙂

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I gave a regular user off here some hayes brakes as he (said he) needed them for his girlfriend’s bike.

He added a couple of rotors and sold them in the STW classifieds the following week.

bearnecessities

Edit. Scrap that.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I’m guessing Sunday night is bearnecessities’ drinking night.

Cheers!

konabunny
    Free Member

I gave a regular user off here some hayes brakes as he (said he) needed them for his girlfriend’s bike.
    He added a couple of rotors and sold them in the STW classifieds the following week.

Pitchforks! Pitchforks! Get your pitchforks here!

piemonster

bearnecessities

Bongo bingo, it’ll be a long time before I give a squirrel’s nut sack what you guess.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What’ve you spotted now?

bearnecessities

Well I decided that it was probably a bit unfounded in the whole ‘evidence’ stakes – just set off my suspicions of opportunists again. I’ll stick by those suspicions though, just not possible to prove, so I’ll not mention it again 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

🙂

Well, I just sold my seatpost and pedals, so I’m happy.

bearnecessities

It’s ‘peddals’.

brooess
    Free Member

I know what you mean about giving stuff away for free and you get the feeling people are taking the mick. I’m doing some training at the moment which requires me to do stuff for free – and I really don’t mind as the experience is what I need, not the ££, but I do get the feeling some people think I’m a mug for doing stuff for free, and no-one likes to be taken in by a cynic.

Mind you – you still get rid of stuff you didn’t need and didn’t want to throw away, so lose nothing, and they’re still gits who’ll go through life without any real friends and will wonder why no-one likes them that much 🙂

A cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It’s ‘peddals’.

Peddles!

rOcKeTdOg

If you are giving stuff away why are you worried who gets it or what they do with yt? If you want to get money for it sell it.*

*I’ve never had free stuff that I can recall

chakaping
    Free Member

Free to Premium users only?

Free to regular forum users who aren’t Tories or on “the list”?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Is it just me that has suspicions…’ is closed to new replies.