Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Is it better to be born lucky or rich?
  • Hohum
    Free Member

My Mum has a saying that it is “better to be born lucky than rich”.

Sometimes I agree with her, but my luck often runs out at time and I am feeling a bit skint at the moment during these times of austerity so I don’t agree with her at the moment.

donsimon
    Free Member

I think better top be lucky, or be able to recognise luck when it comes.
    Money just comes and goes.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

luck cos money ain’t everything

wwaswas

you’re already lucky if you were born rich…

binners

Neither lucky nor rich. But I am pretty. Do I win a prize? 😀

mboy
    Free Member

you’re already lucky if you were born rich…

Money comes, money goes. MUCH easier to lose a fortune than get it back! And though money helps ease your way through life, it doesn’t equal happiness.

Luck however (if it really exists, and you don’t just make your own) would be a far greater blessing IMO. Lucky people win the lottery for instance! 😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

i’m with binners… better to be born with a beautiful set of eyebrows and perfectly straight nose…. and tasty eyeballs.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Happiness to me doesn’t cost anything! It’s simple things, its the taste of your favourite food or wine, a smell (I love wet pine trees in a forest when walking), a feeling (like getting a hug from someone you love) just the simple things in life are what’s important the rest is just ‘stuff’ its these things and the happiness you bring to others that make you rich, you make your own luck and deal with the punches with a big smile on your face it doesn’t half annoy the people who are trying to upset you (I do practice this and yes it does work)

lecture over….. as you were :mrgreen:
    Debs x

fadda

Can I take lucky AND rich, please…?

wwaswas

Can I take lucky AND rich, please

AND with tasty eyeballs.

binners

She’s only saying that cos she gets to lick my eyeballs. You lucky, lucky…… 😀

bagpuss72
    Free Member

*dry hacks* 🙄

Three_Fish
    Free Member

better to be born lucky than rich

It’s something that only people who aren’t rich say.

Happiness to me doesn’t cost anything!

That’s not really true, though; is it? How much do you pay for your favourite food/wine? What’s your mortgage/rent? You could live and be happy without a nice house, could you? Any house? What’s your food bill for the month? If you think you can be happy without money, you are completely deluded. Or feral.

Lecture over; as you were…

bagpuss72
    Free Member

I didn’t say I couldn’t live without any money…..

I said happiness ‘itself’ doesn’t need to cost anything MY happiness comes from simpler things NOT a house (which I don’t own BTW or any other material items)

Some things that make you happy cost nothing or hardly anything. I have worked for ‘rich’ people who were as miserable as sin and never satisfied and some who are.

FFS you lot will argue about anything won’t you…. even a ‘nice’ discussion has to turn into point scoring 🙄

binners

Its eyeball envy. That’s all

wwaswas

you lot will argue about anything won’t you

It’s just our Vitreous Humour.

igmc.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

the gunky stuff that’s in-between your lens and retina….. hmmmmmmmm? Good one I’ll use that at work hahaha
    :mrgreen:

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Depends what you define as lucky.

Depends what you define as rich. Some of the richest people I know have little financial wealth.

Never forget, money can indeed buy almost anything, including love, and to a degree health, but no amount of money can buy time…use it wisely.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

If you think you can be happy without money, you are completely deluded. Or feral.

Depends on the society one lives in I think. In any case, the conclusion that ‘more money = more happiness’ is completely without merit.

binners

Blimey. Its all getting a bit fillosoficul round here.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Once you have enough money that you no longer worry about how your going to pay the next bill, then more money does not equal more happiness. Unless your shallow

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Blimey. Its all getting a bit fillosoficul round here.

Confucius say “Man who make love to mistress on mountain, not on the level with his wife”. Ah so.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

I said happiness ‘itself’ doesn’t need to cost anything MY happiness comes from simpler things NOT a house (which I don’t own BTW or any other material items)

But you do actually live in a house? You don’t have to find a new place to sleep every night? My point is that all of these things are dependent on one another. Yes, I agree entirely that moments of happiness can easily be had doing things that don’t in themselves cost money; but almost everything that allows us the freedom to stare blissfully at the sunset, or enjoy a moment of tenderness with a loved one, costs money. Without that basic (and relatively expensive) level of security, the chances to experience that happiness can get further and further from people’s reach. I’m not sure of the cost of rose-tinted spectacles these days. I presume that they are free…

EDIT

Once you have enough money that you no longer worry about how your going to pay the next bill, then more money does not equal more happiness. Unless your shallow

Now that’s more like it.

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Yes I rent and I work in the 3rd sector have done for the past 10 years this has changed my view on how ‘lucky’ or ‘well off’ I am, I’d focused previously on material stuff and even though have never had a job that pays more than 25K or owned a flash car or been on expensive holidays I always craved them and thought my life wouldn’t be complete until I got what I thought everyone else had.

I agree that without the basics the other things I mentioned aren’t always possible Maslow’s ‘Hierarchy of Needs’ is a good example the people at the top are usually people with ‘enough’ money that doesn’t need to mean ‘lots’ they have everything they need, its secure and these people are the people who usually volunteer for me and want to help other people.

I’m not walking round in rose tints just trying to find a place where what I have is enough and I’m not that person striving for excess all the time :mrgreen:

bagpuss72
    Free Member

And for the record I’m just about to be made bankrupt due to my marriage breaking down 3 years ago and me being left with a lot of his business debts so I’m not well off I’m not on a big salary and my car is worth about 1k but I’ve learnt not to be bitter about what other people have and be glad for them makes you feel better inside

binners

You’ve got a nice bike though. That helps 😉

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Oh and PPS: Yes I know all of the above makes me one of the lucky ones at the moment…..

TuckerUK
    Free Member

..just trying to find a place where what I have is enough…

And that, IMHO, is the key to contentment.

Comes easier with age I think (certainly did for me), no desire or need to follow the masses or be one of the herd.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

P.S. And I’m so poor I can’t even afford to marry the girl of my dreams.

How sad is that?

First I’d have to kill her hubby, then drug her and brainwash her into actually liking me (I think loving would be a bit far fetched), build a cellar under the house maybe…

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Hahaha would you like to borrow my shed?

*wishes there was a like button*

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Is it better to be born lucky or rich?’ is closed to new replies.