Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Is isopropyl alcohol the same as surgical spirit?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Or a bit different? If the latter, is it sufficiently different to use instead?

nemesis
    Free Member

Don’t use surgical spirit if you’re planning on it for cleaning discs – the additives are often oily or at least leave residue. You need something neat like alcohol, IPA, acetones, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubbing_alcohol

molgrips
    Free Member

IPA can be bought from ebay and also Maplin as contact cleaner. Meths also works well despite what they say about residues. They’re disc brakes not surgical instruments, as long as the residue isn’t oily you’ll be fine.

njee20
    Free Member

the additives are often oily or at least leave residue. You need something neat like alcohol, IPA, acetones, etc.

Surely surgical spirit isn’t going to leave an oily residue, think what it’s used for… scalpels are rarely oily!

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

ive got some IPA in the fridge!

nemesis
    Free Member

I do agree in theory njee but I used to use it for rowing (to toughen the skin on your hands) and it definitely felt oily afterwards.

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s for rubbing a frame down before putting an Invisiframe kit on. Although it’s a new frame I’ve had greasy mitts on it when putting the pedals on and indexing the gears etc. I have SS at home but not IA.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Always use meths for cleaning my discs off, never any noticeable residue or ill effects.

tonyd

I just bought some isopropyl alcohol from Amazon for a shock service, think it was about £2.50 delivered.

rocketman
    Free Member

I have SS at home but not IA

Same here but after reading the label on the mrs SS bottle there were other ingredients in it inc oils. Got some IA from the chemist and it’s really good absolutely no residue

dpfr

Surgical spirit contains additives to stabilise it, make it taste unpleasant and give it a characteristic smell. These can include castor oil, perfume oils and diethyl phthalate, all of which would leave a residue rather than evaporate.

devash
    Free Member

How does acetone work out as a brake disc cleaner?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

acetone (edit: pure, certainly NOT nail varnish remover)would be fine but a bit too aggressive maybe if you get it on paintwork

dpfr

Pure acetone would probably be OK. Impure, such as nail polish remover, probably not

nemesis
    Free Member

FWIW, I’ve used nail varnish remover on discs and pads when I had nothing else to hand without problems – the additives don’t seem to be oily. Of course if you choose to do the same it’s at your own risk as different ones may well have different things in them.

Acetone doesn’t seem to do much to paintwork IME though it can remove the printing from stickers.

molgrips
    Free Member

Acetone too risk for destroying plastics imo.

Saccades
    Free Member

Cheap nail varnish remover is better than the expensive stuff (ie those with moisturisers), as the cheap stuff is generally pretty pure acetone.

IPA is also available from chemists (IPA BP) which is a very pure standard, would be perfect for removing greasy finger prints and the like.

Why would you use IPA to toughen your hands? IPA will just strip the fat out, surely you want an astringent like witch hazel?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ordered some IA – might as well do it properly!

nemesis
    Free Member

Why would you use IPA to toughen your hands?

Actually, I agree but that was perceived wisdom when I started rowing. I think maybe if you did it regularly it eventually gave you harder skin.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Surely surgical spirit isn’t going to leave an oily residue, think what it’s used for… scalpels are rarely oily!

It’s not used for cleaning scalpels, they’re cleaned by it’s an antiseptic, it has oil in it to stop the skin drying out and makes blood easier to wipe off.

I’ve got some for my trangia as the chemists was out of meths, unlike meths it leaves an oily residue in the burner. IME meths is as good as IPA for cleaning.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Is isopropyl alcohol the same as surgical spirit?’ is closed to new replies.