Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • IS Hope brake to Post Mount PM Adapter problem
  • giantalkali
    Free Member

Hi All,

I’ve a set of Hope Mono Mini brakes that use an IS fitting, and a recently purchased Revelation 2011 fork that uses a Post Mount fitting. I’m using 180mm brake discs and have just recieved a new adapter (HBSM20H) to make it all fit together nicely. But it doesn’t. The caliper sits way off the disc, with only a small patch of brake pad touching the disc braking surface. It looks to me like I’ve been supplied with the wrong adapter (or I’ve ordered the wrong thing, more likely) What’s going down?

robsoctane
    Free Member

just get the right adaptor! IS to IS

JohnnyPanic

Hmm, looking through the catalogue HBSM20H would appear to be correct…

Rorschach
    Free Member

Whenever you use the post/is adaptor you go up a rotor size (+20mm).There’s a kcmc one which lets you keep the same rotor size but its a bit hit and miss to which fork/caliper combo’s it likes.

JohnnyPanic

just get the right adaptor! IS to IS

Not with a post mount fork. Doh.

Whenever you use the post/is adaptor you go up a rotor size (+20mm).

And he has – to 180mm discs.

Not on upside down, inside out is it?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Yes it is thickboy.
    When you use HBSM20H it moves the caliper out 10mm from the original position,therefore you will have to use a 20mm larger diameter rotor than the caliper was originally designed for.In this case 180+20=….200!
    Get it?

boxelder

What Rorscach says is true. Any Post mount (fork) to IS (caliper) adds 20mm, so you will need the next rotor size up, or a new caliper half.
    This assumes that you are trying to use the same rotor and bought this adaptor.

bigG
    Free Member

What you need is one of these. No increase in rotor size. That’s a 180mm Hope disc, no increased size or change to the calliper.

A pic of how it looks on the bike (nowhere near as pink as it looks on the ad).

giantalkali
    Free Member

deleted post as bigG aswered question

giantalkali
    Free Member

well done bigG, that’s the gubbins for me. Thanks for the link

bigG
    Free Member

You’re welcome. I’ve posted that up loads of times and you’re the first to say thanks.

Maybe there is some love left in STW still.

I’m going to have a wee dram and bask in the happiness of having helped someone out .

boxelder

Looks the same as the Hope one I posted up, but couldn’t get to work. Newer Hope calipers are all 140 rear/160 front (and need adaptors), whereas older ones were different sizes to match rotors. Hope it works for you, but the 20 in your HBSM20H, was always going to mean a bigger rotor.

steel4real
    Free Member

And another thing – the adaptor bigG showed you won’t work on 2011 Revelations.

But have fun trying. You’ll thank me once you have and not him 😉

(How do I know this, because I saw a post like this a while ago and thought that’ll do it ! It didn’t. At least bigG now knows why people aren’t thanking him!)

In the end I bought a post mount Mono mini off here for not much more than the price of a new disc 😀

santacoops
    Free Member

Thanks to everyone on this thread, my quandary solved for the last piece of my bike build puzzle. 😀

bigG
    Free Member

Steel4real. I blame user error…And sour grapes.

Have a great weekend all, I’m off riding my bike with the correct adaptor as pictured above.

🙂

Shackleton

I’ve used the adapter from KCNC described by bigG to mount an IS Magura Louise FR 2005 caliper on my 2011 PM revelations without going up a disc size.

Maybe some calipers don’t fit into the sculpting of the adapter and this is the issue steel4real had. My Magura caliper was a close fit. Maybe you could try it given that they are quite cheap (or ask steel4real for his pristine one!).

steel4real
    Free Member

Ha Ha, Yes I was thinking that – £7.99 posted to you.

As regards the error of fitting – judge for yourselves :-

I don’t think this will fit ?

Surely something has been overlooked ??

I think that the RockShox fork lowers have changed ???

Shackleton

Mine are 20mm axle lowers. If yours were 15mm axle then maybe the casting changed?

I agree from your pics that something is different between our forks. Maybe the mounting post heights have changed and yours are designed to take a 160mm disc with PM caliper and mine are for 180mm?

Must confess to being a bit flummoxed.

steel4real
    Free Member

Yes they are 15mm lowers. Looking at bigG’s picture I reckon the lowers have changed. I also have some 2011 Sektors with 20mm Maxle lite and the post mounts are the same length.

Looks like there may be a change to the lowers during 2011. I have the parts catalogues to browse but it’s clear there is a subtle difference. Deffinately between Maxle & Maxle lite.

Any road – anyone searching can compare their lowers to the pictures now before deciding on the adaptor so it’s all good.

JohnnyPanic

Hey Rorschach, thickboy here.
    Catch you at a bad moment, or are you always like that?

Perhaps foolishly, I assumed Hope sized their calipers to 160mm discs, with adapters being required for anything larger.

Sorry to have offended your sensibilities.

coatesy
    Free Member

My tip is never to ASSUME as
    it can make an ASS of U & ME.
    For those too young to remember, Hope made their IS calipers in various model nos. to suit matching rotor sizes. It was a very neat system, but confusing with the 20mm difference front to rear for the same caliper number, the step down by 5mm rotor size when moving from Sport/Pro based systems to Mini type, and the need for either + type mounts or new caliper/caliper half when changing rotor sizes(not to mention the HBSM10 mount for the original Manitou post mount conversion).

olavxxx
    Free Member

Hi all,

I hope you can help me, as I’ve already bought a couple of parts that did not fit.

I have an oldskool sintesi bazooka with hope big uns, hope C2 calipers, etc. My bike was delivered with jr. T back in the days, but I broke it in an DH event in 2000′. Since then I’ve used the 2001 boxxer pro and for a while a marzocchi drop off from 004-22005(?). (before they went PM for the caliper).

The drop off was quite crappy, because of the air system. So I went back to the boxxer, but it had a different problem with the plastic bushing (broken, so it locks out on hard drops).

So I bought a slightly used 2008(?) 66 ATA professionally converted to oil (180mm strke). This shock looked fine and all, but I saw that it had the Post mount.

However I talked to a friend and he said that I could just buy the Post mount to IS from chanreaction cycles. I hesitated that it stated I would have to go +20mm.

The adaptor arrived and I fitted it and instantly saw that it did not work. So I measured my disc, it was 180mm. I then ordered the 205mm disc from chainreaction.. waited, waited and then it arrived. After paying the customs fee of 12 pounds and the import VAT (25%),the disc had then cost me about 40 pounds… And yet it does not fit.

I see that I would need at least 225mm disc, which does not seem to exist for the 5 bolt hope system. (big uns). This is quite strange, as the HBSM20H says it needs +20mm and my old disc with IS was 180mm…..

I am a bit “scared” about importing more parts now and I’m considering if it’s easier to just swap the entire front brake system.. (it would be about 100 pounds for a new front system from chainreaction cycles).

Or maybe I could find some C2 calipers/front system for a 160mm front disc(?).Hope you can advise me about what I could/should do..ps. if I import anything over 20 gbp, it costs me 12 gbp in toll fee and 25% VAT on both the purchase sum and the freight….

Gribs

Your forks will have a post mount that’s built to directly mount a caliper and use a 205mm disc. Adding the is to post mount converter then gives you an extra 20mm.

olavxxx
    Free Member

So I’ll have to buy new calipers then, since I cant find 5 bolt hope larger than the 205mm. ps. do you know if I can buy for instance the newer calipers and use the Closed2 discs? Or will not the pad surface area work?

Thinking about buying one of these
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=hope+evo+front+brake (ps I know the EVO is mostly bling vs the usual ones, but if I first have to buy new stuff, why not bling it a tad).

Eg. Can I use the C2 discs (205mm) with the V2 or the M4? The dia should be OK, but does the surface area for the pads and the thickness also work? (hope someone has both discs and can compare 🙂 Cant find specs on hope, I’ve looked there..

Ps. just imported a brand new 205mm disc, so I hope (pardon the pun) I can use it.

Gribs

I’ve had a look in my spares box and a c2 disc is just the same thickness as a mono disc so it’ll certainly work in an M4 but I think the V2 uses different discs. Your only issue might be the extra 2mm as m4’s use 203mm discs but a couple of washers would sort that.

olavxxx
    Free Member

Thank you!
    Ps. do the brakes come with pads? I know they dont come with rotors.. However I have been unable to google if they come with pads.

Considering purchase of this brake: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=73421

Gribs

All the Hope brakes I’ve bought have come with pads but they’re the non sintered ones that don’t seem to work as well.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘IS Hope brake to Post Mount PM Adapter problem’ is closed to new replies.