Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • is bored – radio 4 comedy comedy content
  • leffeboy

back in the day ™, Radio 4 comedy used to be fairly predicatable:
    Mon eve: something long running and reliable with octogenarians
    Fri eve: something topical and usually funny
    rest of the week: stuff under test – keep ’em keen. Usually one was not too bad

Now they all seem to suck, or have I just been listening too long and need to move on :(. Anyone else lost the love for Radio4 funnies or never had it in the first place

surfer
    Free Member

Friday night is OK much of it pretentious and highbrow

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Definitely lost the love for a chunk of it. I think the only ones I listen to in the 1830 slot now are The News Quiz & Museum Of Curiosities. Maybe SIHGAC ocassionally but parts of that are painful.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

John Finnemore (spl?) has been excellent recently. Especially his Archers and Spiderman sketches.

leffeboy

i dont get Museum of Curiosities at all. maybe need to pay more attention bit it always seems laugh free

Esme
    Free Member

I expected to grow into Radio 4 comedy, as I got older. But most of them seem totally unfunny.
    And I HATE the ones with people shouting in regional accents.

leffeboy

John Finnemore has been excellent

that might be worth hunting down. was always hugely impressed they stopped cabin pressurenat the end of the 26 rather than the usual eke out until it dies

wynne
    Free Member

Another big John Finnemore fan here. Alexei Sayle’s thing was good too. The rest seems pretty dismal to me – I’ve even fallen out of love with the News Quiz.

Junkyard
    Free Member

been terrible for at least a decade

Always used to be at least one stand out brilliant show

Last one i recall is Mitchell and Webb and that was ages ago

Some ot the other stuff is ik but nothing is worth searching out IMHO

I still enjoy the old stalwarts – museum of curiosities is like a talk show with anecdotes rather than a comedy

Houns

Mondays and Fridays only. Listened to about 30secs of tonight’s and turned it off

leffeboy

yep, i think that’s my problem with museum of curiosities – it’s just a talk show and often not with people who are funny. The good shows they usually have some professional backup to keep it rolling.

Jamie
    Free Member

The problem we have now is Radio 4 is no longer the proving ground for new comedians, as there are so many TV channels to fill most can go straight to air.

I remember listening to Mary Whitehouse Experience, Mighty Boosh, Little Britain (when it was funny), The Day Today, 15 Stories High etc all before the transition to TV.

I think the only comedy I listen to now on R4 is Ed Reardon’s Week which is consistently excellent.

I remember when all this was fields etc etc and this is an interesting read: http://www.spectator.co.uk/2013/09/gagging-orders/

leffeboy

that link pretty much nails it.

young guys noticing things…

Marko

News quiz – Bring back Sandy!

I like the unbelievable truth and the one where Tom wrigglesworth rings up his Mum and Dad, but they’ve stuck that in a mid morning slot for some reason.

Can’t beat the oldies (Just a minute and I’m sorry). And of course ‘Clare’. As for the rest meh . . .

leffeboy

unbelievable truth

That was bizarrely good. Just a minute seems to struggle and should be put out of it’s misery really

cynic-al
    Free Member

Still like News Quiz Unbelievable Truth and the Jack Dee one, most of the rest sucks the boaby.

Especially Finnimore, Claire, Just a Minute.

If the first series if In and Out if the Kitchen can be found, it is golden.

BigJohn

They’ve recently had a regional showcase of up and coming standups (standsup?) – most of whom have been fresh and excellent.

Mark Steel is consistently good, Ed Reardon is anything but weak, Mark Watson and Alex Horne are brilliant and it wasn’t long ago we were treated to Count Arthur Strong and John Shuttleworth.

But a lot of it is shit.

bearnecessities

Sporadic listener at that time, but enjoyed the silliness of Clare in the Community.

kjcc25
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of anything that involves Andy Hamilton, Revolting People and Old Harry’s Game being especially good. Old Harry’s Game is being repeated on R4 Extra at the moment 11.30pm tonight.

leffeboy

Old Harry’s Game was great and new but it’s over 20 years old now 🙁

chorlton
    Free Member

Was trying to think of In and Out of the Kitchen. Loved that. And I prefer Jupp in the News Quiz now. My long favourite has always been Edd Reardons Week.
    Also loved.
    Mark Steel’s in Town
    Clare
    John Finnemores stuff. Always seems to be excellent.
    Loved Bleak Expectations when it was on.
    The Now Show.
    Not to everyone’s taste but Count Arthur used to have me in stitches. Thankfully I work alone, so no one can complain. 🙂
    I suppose it’s hit and miss like tele though. For every League of Gentlemen, they’ll be a hundred My Family.

Cougar

John Finnemore (spl?) has been excellent recently.

Cabin Pressure is one of the best things they’ve ever done.

RustySpanner

If the first series if In and Out if the Kitchen can be found, it is golden.

On about a month ago.
    🙂

Quick look at my iPlayer downloads:

1966 & All That.
    Armando Iannucci.
    Boosh.
    Cabin Pressure
    Chain Reaction
    Clare in the Community.
    Count Arthur.
    Dave Podmore (same people as the Ed Reardon’s week)
    David Sedaris.
    Dead Ringers.
    Fighting Talk.
    Heresy.
    Hut 33.
    And so on.

Yes, most of them are repeats.

Pay your licence fee and stop whining.
    🙂

chorlton
    Free Member

Forgot about David Sedaris. Brilliant.
    And Dead Ringers.
    There’s bloody loads.

nostoc
    Free Member

I never liked Cabin Pressure but his sketch show can be very good.
    Clare has been good but now a little tired
    Ed Reardon good but not funny.
    Tom Wrigglesworth, Mark Watson, Alex Horne all excellent
    Rich Halls election show was top class
    John Shuttleworth – timeless genius

gerti
    Free Member

I agree, the older stuff is best (apart from the most excellent Cabin pressure of course!)
    We’re particular fans of Men from the ministry in this house (circa 1970’s!) and I love a bit of Old Harry’s Game.

Worth hunting out some of the old crime drama series like Lord Peter Wimsey and Paul Temple.

The now show has really gone downhill in recent years IMO and it took me a while to warm to Miles Jupp hosting the news quiz, but enjoying it again now. Dead ringers is up and down, as is Count Arthur strong.

RustySpanner

We’re particular fans of Men from the ministry in this house (circa 1970’s!)

🙂

Have you heard the Michael Bentine Show?
    Absolute genius.

Fond of the Navy Lark too and the Goon Show.

Struggle with Hancock sometimes, bit too close to the truth, knowing what we know now.
    Can’t stand Steptoe.

The Now Show is appalling these days and Marcus Brigstocke disappeared up his own smug fundament years ago.

The Secret World is fantastic, if you get the chance.
    A darker, funnier Dead Ringers.

muddy@rseguy

The News Quiz is very good (I like Mike Jupp a lot) agree about the Now Show going downhill to the point of being just dire now though
    Mark Steel’s in Town seems to one f the best things out there at the moment.
    Nobody has mentioned “Its not what you know” Which miles Jupp did before he chaired the News Quiz.
    It’s your round (from a few years back but good and always good to hear Angus Deayton)
    You can try some of the podcast that are out there:
    no such thing as a fish ( done by the researchers from QI and is arguably far better that it)
    Book Shambles with Josie Long and Robin Ince
    Kermide and Mayos film review (5Live) podcast

As for Cabin Pressure….in my best BA captains voice: “the lemon is in play…” 🙂

jb72
    Free Member

Not much to add … but Yes Minister is on R4Extra at the moment. I know it’s old, still good though.

leffeboy

This is kind of my point though. The current 18:30 stuff is all a bit poor. You have to hit either 4extra or hunt around the late night stuff to find something good

Wanders off to internet radio land…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Still a big fan of the news quiz though if you hold any Brexit/Tory/Trump sympathies it’s probably going to not be for you. My favourite from last year was Edwina Currie on the same week as the torm MP/dominatrix – I think the words were watch out for the quiet ones…

pk13

Yes minister is still right up amongst the best Mary White House ex had me giggling last week too. Forgotten the name of the food writer/chef that’s good too.
    New stuff for me was alexi sales sandwich shop episode 2 was very funny.
    Tom Wrigglesworth Just for his dad

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Finnemore disproves your argument…

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I must admit the quality of show on the 18.30 slot seems to have dropped in recent years.
    I used to enjoy Fags Mags & Bags,Bleak Expectations,Tom Wrigglesworths Hangups,Mark Steele’s in town,David Sedaris.
    I still look forward to The News Quiz,but as has been mentioned The Now Show isn’t as funny as it used to be..
    Alexi Sayle’s Sandwich shop was a welcome bright spot the other month,but it wasn’t in the 18.30 slot.
    One show I’ve listened to over the last few weeks is Robert Newman 19.15 Sunday nights

cynic-al
    Free Member

Now show? Not current I know

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Now show? Not current I know

The last series,finished last month was not up to previous standards
    Imho obviously…

thecaptain
    Free Member

has anyone mentioned Milton Jones and the Sunday Format? Agree that it’s pretty weak currently. That thing about Sweden is just dire. Linda Smith was a big loss too.

paton
    Free Member
    gobuchul
    Free Member

The Secret World and Down the Line are both excellent.

But bring back Week Ending FTW!

somafunk

Just listened to “What Does The K Stand For – Stephen K Amos” on R4, after a brief 5 minutes listening i guess is stands for Krap, utter shite programming – whoever is in charge of commissioning this bilge needs a good slap.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘is bored – radio 4 comedy comedy content’ is closed to new replies.