Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • iPod Nano – Daughters 13th birthday present, anything I should know?
  • Alex

So £100 for an 8 gig MP3 player 😉 But that’s what she has asked for, and I’m happy to buy it (on the not unreasonable grounds she won’t be getting anything else!). I know bog all about music players – all mine in on my iphone and that seems to work. I like Apple stuff even tho I know it’s a significantly premium product in terms of price.

Any reason not to go for the Nano? Do they fall to bits or anything like that? Ta.

DezB
    Free Member

Had mine for about 4 years (3rd gen, I think).. it’s just a brilliant thing.

seadog101

My daughter has had her Nano for over two years. It’s dented, scratched, been dropped in soup, and generally treated terrible. The headphones died in fiarly short order, but it still works. every now and then it seems to hang, but an on/off with the hold button fixes that.

Matt

trail_rat
    Free Member

mines been drenched more often than a care to remember on the bike and in the washing machine – let it dry out fully and it works fine.

my sony on the other hand – while sounding superior didnt last one wet ride …..

emsz
    Free Member

The 16gb is only £130, and get her a watch strap for it too.

Alex

Thanks all. I’m struggling a bit with ‘only 130 quid’ but that might be because I’m an old man from Yorkshire 😉 Currently we share my itunes account which if she gets a 16 gig one might have to change as well!

pearlbaz
    Free Member

Just exchanged my old Nano Gen1 under the warranty/exchange deal. They look cool, but I have already upgraded to a touch. If you want a Nano 8GB Gen6 new with 3 months warranty let me know. Still has the stickers on, just checked it charged it and put it back in the box. No lead or phones-but I’m selling for £65 posted-recorded delivery.
    Baz

rondo101
    Free Member

Apple headphones are rubbish. Treat her to some sennheiser CX 200s too. Partly for her benefit & also so that you don’t have to listen to the “tiss-tiss-tiss-tiss” of whatever music she likes.

unovolo
    Free Member

Or order one from the Apple refurb store for £89 all in ,includes earphones and leads but will come in a plain brown box.
    I have had stuff from there before and it’s indistinguishable from new, you can always stick it in a nice gift box for her.
    http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/ipod/ipod_nano

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Look great, they’re tiny and they work as well as you expect Apple stuff to. I can’t help feeling that stretching the budget a bit more for a Touch gets you a LOT more for your money. The nanos aren’t the best value for money product in Apple’s range.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

+1 for in-ear headphones, like the sennheisers above, over the ear bud style – the one where the sound leaks out – as, for the same perceived volume level the ear buds actually have much higher spls and so it is easier to damage your hearing – ending up with tinnitus later in life for example.

Alex

Ta again. I took up Baz’s offer ^^ up there of a new boxed Nano surplus to his requirements. I have the CX200s. Kids have Skull Candy’s which I’ll replace with something a bit less damaging when they fall apart after six months use.

I started by looking at a touch but knowing our kid, she’d lose it/sit on it/accidentally water it/etc. And she just doesn’t play games on my iPhone like her younger sister. Who I think might be getting a touch for Christmas 😉

_tom_
    Free Member

They have a nice interface and are built quite well but imo ipod sound quality is shocking considering how much they cost and how they’re sold as a “premium” product. Dull and weak sound regardless of what headphones are used. Using my galaxy after an ipod touch is night and day in terms of sound quality.

meehaja
    Free Member

If she opens it up, the circuits inside are made of crack cocaine, gun components and encourage bad manners.

That aside, they;re pretty good, fairly solid and look good.

CountZero

They have a nice interface and are built quite well but imo ipod sound quality is shocking considering how much they cost and how they’re sold as a “premium” product. Dull and weak sound regardless of what headphones are used. Using my galaxy after an ipod touch is night and day in terms of sound quality.

Sorry, bu t that is complete bollocks! Any sound quality issues are down to the source material and the bit-rate you encode at. I’ve used an iPod Video 80Gb, a 16Gb Nano, and two iPhones, and currently an iPod Classic 160Gb, with a whole shitload of ‘phones, from CX200’s, through Etymotics, Shure, Ultimate Ears and Mee Electronics, most being personal monitor style canalphones, and I can assure you that at 320Kb, through a pair of UE TripleFi 10 Studio Pro’s, the sound quality is well detailed, with deep bass and excellent midrange. I’m currently using a pair of M-Electronics M6 Sports, which cost me $39 for two pairs, and they are astonishing, with as much bass as anyone could want, and I listen to stuff from ABBA through Mastodon, Portishead, Faith No More, Laura Marling to Zeppelin and Zappa. 12,700 tracks on my iPod at 260-320Kb so far, that’s around 102Gb of music.
    Forty one years of going to live gigs and buying music, I think I actually have a clue about music quality, and there’s nowt wrong with any Apple product I’ve ever used.

Toasty

Forty one years of going to live gigs

Surprised the volume goes still high enough on them tbh 😉

stanfree
    Free Member

I fell heir to my sons nano when he got his big sisters Ipod touch and have to say Its the best little product Apple have made for value for money .
    As has been said before a MP3 player through headphones dosen’t make a hell of a lot of difference , Im just gutted my mam threw out my dads pioneer 1970’s cans when I see my daughter thinking she is the dogs danglers wearing her Dr Dre monsterbeat headphones.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I know it’s a “few more quid” again but why not go for an iPod touch. Then get the spotify app on the fiver a month package which you can both use and then no more paying for tunes??

beamers

I agree with the comments about getting a Touch instead of a Nano. We have both in the house and the Touch has been an absolute godsend for keeping Daughter B entertained. I also get quite a bit of use out of it. In fact I am typing this on it while number one son is asleep on my chest.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘iPod Nano – Daughters 13th birthday present, anything I should know?’ is closed to new replies.