• This topic has 459 replies, 96 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by tdog.
Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 460 total)
  • iPhone X
  • Drac

Now there’s another option, look at the screen you can even so it while changing radio stations.

GrahamS

Yep. But I generally like to have my phone sat in the centre console so that would be worse as it would involve touching the phone and taking my eyes off the road.

I guess for a Face ID-enabled phone the best plan is to mount the phone somewhere it can see you. At the moment I generally only do that when i’m using it as a satnav.

monkeyboyjc

You sound like a hoot

Could have refrased that, but I’m feeling ill and grumpy.

It’s not a game changer.
    It’s a marginal improvement.
    It’s very, very expensive.

I just can’t see why anyone would buy one other than the ‘prestige’ and ‘must have the news Apple product’ because it’s Apple.
    Hense my previous statement.

zilog6128

I just can’t see why anyone would buy one other than the ‘prestige’ and ‘must have the news Apple product’ because it’s Apple.

same reason anyone would buy anything expensive and non-essential. a) because they want it and b) because they can afford it. HTH.

Drac

Yep. But I generally like to have my phone sat in the centre console so that would be worse as it would involve touching the phone and taking my eyes off the road.

Well yes you do currently but you are allowed to change that, then all you have do is look at the screen a bit like when you look at the radio to see which station it’s on on Sat Nav to check a junction.

I’m not saying that FaceID is flawless but no one has come up with something that is going to cause any major issues.

GrahamS

I think Apple may have dropped the ball a little with the X here.

I’ve heard a lot of people, like monkeyboyjc, saying that “It’s very, very expensive.”
    My FB feed is full of people saying how ridiculously expensive it is.

But they seem to have missed that the £999 X was intended as celebratory prestige luxury model. The new 8 is the more mainstream model, starting at a more normal £699 (Apple RRP)

fanatic278
    Free Member

I was holding out buying a new iPhone until I found out the features/price of the new 8 or X. But the price vs features is too much for me.

I’m tempted to get a 6S. They’re relatively cheap at £449 and have most of the features I need, including a headphone jack. I just wish it was waterproof.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Thanks for the tip to re-do the fingerprintID, just done that and added my forefinger too…. after all these years 😳

GrahamS

Do thumb and forefinger on both hands.

Plus your nose for the days you can’t take your gloves and scarf off 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

An action that takes all of two seconds, without taking my eyes off the road ahead, and is usually done while I am completely stationary.

Unfortunately the police are tightening up regulations (I forget where I read this but it was quite recently) so any touching of a phone at all when in a car could be prosecutable. I appreciate it is no more dangerous to Touch ID a phone as it is to fiddle with the heating or change a radio station but that’s the way it’s headed.

Here

It has been illegal to touch a mobile phone – even with a hands free set – while driving since 2003.

This includes using a mobile to follow a map, read a text or check social media.

The law applies even if you are stopped at traffic lights or queuing in traffic as your engine is still running.

You can only use a handheld phone if you are safely parked or need to call 999 or 112 in an emergency and it is unsafe or impractical to stop.

You can use hands-free phones – as long as you don’t press any buttons – sat navs and two-way radios when you’re driving or riding.
    Using TouchID is touching a button….

Drac

Plus your nose for the days you can’t take you gloves and scarf off

😆

Unfortunately the police are tightening up regulations (I forget where I read this but it was quite recently) so any touching of a phone at all when in a car could be prosecutable. I appreciate it is no more dangerous to Touch ID a phone as it is to fiddle with the heating or change a radio station but that’s the way it’s headed.

One of the first things they do at an RTC is confiscate drivers’ phones so they can check to see if they have been used while driving.

Sandwich

Driving is the obvious one for me. Siri won’t read out incoming text messages unless the phone is unlocked. Having TouchID means I can unlock it without even looking at my phone.

iOS11 won’t allow this with do not disturb enabled.

But you shouldn’t touch the phone as this is a traffic offence.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    Do thumb and forefinger on both hands.

Plus your nose for the days you can’t take your gloves and scarf off

Don’t forget to download the iTodger app for when you’re surfing the one handed web.

monkeyboyjc

same reason anyone would buy anything expensive and non-essential. a) because they want it and b) because they can afford it.

And….. That’s why I laugh at them.

Done some more reading on the new phones…..
    Why does it have a glass back? It’s there any advantage other than smashing and having to replace two screens when you drop it?

leythervegas
    Free Member

I have face id on my google pixel xl (soon to be upgraded to pixel xl 2 – watch the classifieds!). It works perfectly to the point where I forget its there. The phone activates as soon as I pick it up. No delay at all.

johndoh
    Free Member

Don’t forget to download the iTodger app for when you’re surfing the one handed web.

Stop being a Clever Dick.

Drac

“I laugh at you for choosing how to spend your money”

How very strange.

zilog6128

Unfortunately the police are tightening up regulations (I forget where I read this but it was quite recently) so any touching of a phone at all when in a car could be prosecutable.

Yes. This is why with Apple CarPlay, you cannot operate your phone at all (totally unlock able), the idea is everything is done via voice commands. So the real cause of any problems for GrahamS is actually just that his car is old and shit. 😆

GrahamS

Yeah I appreciate that john, but honestly I regularly still see people driving about with their phones glued to their ears, or worse still sat in their lap so they can furtively text or facebook!

The police seem to have enough trouble catching them, never mind trying to witness and prosecute a subtle two-second gesture made without looking maybe once a week.

Jamie
    Free Member

I never considered it before, but an Apple Watch for £300 seems almost reasonable now the new Garmin Vivoactive 3 (slate) and Fitbit Ionica are £299.

It’s just that damned everyday charging.

muggomagic

iOS11 won’t allow this with do not disturb enabled.

It asks you after you’ve driven somewhere if you want to enable it, but I use siri via the steering wheel voice control button, so haven’t enabled it.

GrahamS

I have face id on my google pixel xl

Have you tried it with someone holding up a selfie of you?

That was the fairly glaring security hole that the original facial recognition had, I’d be interested to know if they fixed it.

Drac

So the real cause of any problems for GrahamS is actually just that his car is old and shit.

😆

sharkbait
    Free Member

It has been illegal to touch a mobile phone – even with a hands free set – while driving since 2003.

A law introduced when virtually no cars had touch screen radios or satnavs…. and how many million are there on the road now?

wilburt
    Free Member

My Garmin watch last weeks on a charge.

GrahamS

the idea is everything is done via voice commands. So the real cause of any problems for GrahamS is actually just that his car is old and shit.

Very true. My car is a 2007 Focus, pretty far from the STW standard Audi, so yeah it doesn’t have CarPlay. 😳

I still do everything via voice commands though, via Siri or voice-dialling bluetooth in the car, it’s just that for fairly obvious privacy reasons Siri requires you to unlock the phone before it will read out incoming text messages.

Jamie
    Free Member

My Garmin watch last weeks on a charge.

Weeks? Fenix 5?

Very true. My car is a 2007 Focus, pretty far from the STW standard Audi, so yeah it doesn’t have CarPlay.

You can get CarPlay head units now.

molgrips
    Free Member

Keep looking at upgrading my Samsung now my contract is up. Really shouldn’t – it will make no difference at all to my daily life. None whatsoever.

And yet..

Drac

A law introduced when virtually no cars had touch screen radios or satnavs…. and how many million are there on the road now?

You still had to push buttons though just not on a screen a bit like phones in 2003.

jimdubleyou

Apple Watch …

It’s just that damned everyday charging.

Every other day with Watch 2, not using it as GPS much. YMMV if you’re using it to go running etc.

johndoh
    Free Member

Agreed, but as I said they are tightening up on the laws so if you are caught touching a smart radio screen or satnav etc you could be prosecuted. It makes sense as fiddling with any of those screens distracts you from what you are doing.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It makes sense as fiddling with any of those screens distracts you from what you are doing.

Like lighting a cigarette or using e cig thing.

monkeyboyjc

Drac – Moderator
    “I laugh at you for choosing how to spend your money”

Like I said I’m grumpy and Ill, so maybe was a little harsh.
    It’s more of an amazement at how people waste their money on upgrading tech incrementally from the previous model – I’m the same for bike parts TBH and I’m sure there people out there in (or out of) the biking world that would smirk at me for that.

johndoh
    Free Member

Just seen this on Twitter:

Frankie Boyle @frankieboyle
    Set your Apple Face ID to your comeface, so that if someone mugs you for your phone they at least have to **** you off first

johndoh
    Free Member

Or eating or drinking a take-out Starbucks – you do know that if the police deem you to have been driving badly they can prosecute you for a great many reasons, not just Facetiming your mum.

Drac

Exactly which is why there is a law that covers that too.

sharkbait
    Free Member

You still had to push buttons though just not on a screen a bit like phones in 2003.

Exactly. What’s the difference between a button on a radio and a button on a phone [in a cradle]?
    In my car I don’t use a cradle but my phone sits nicely in a slot in the centre console – I can press the power button once and then [as it’s an Android and my car is a Trusted Device, the phone doesn’t need unlocking] ask it to do whatever I want. It’s quicker, easier and safer than inputting a postcode on the satnav!

Agreed, but as I said they are tightening up on the laws so if you are caught touching a smart radio screen or satnav etc you could be prosecuted

Could you point me to the bit that says that’s illegal…. because I can’t find anything.

Drac

Do you stare at your radio for a prolonged period like you do when sending a text message or reading Facebook?

The law is to cover everything to stop people trying to wiggle out of it by saying I was just unlocking it.

johndoh
    Free Member

Could you point me to the bit that says that’s illegal…. because I can’t find anything.

If I must… (first result when I Googled)

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/driving-laws-changing-heres-you-12669480

Can I press buttons on my phone to answer a call or change music?

No, while it is okay to use your phone as a sat nav (as long as it is secured in a holder correctly, and out of the 45-degree angle of the driver’s view) – you can not press buttons on it while you are driving.

What about sat navs, or using my phone as a sat nav?

You can use your phone as a sat nav, but you can not touch it or reprogramme it while driving.

Using a sat nav while driving can be a factored in a careless or dangerous driving charge if it distracts you.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Exactly which is why there is a law that covers that too.

Is there ? As a non smoker I don’t know, but it appears not one single smoker does either.

My car actively encourages you to press buttons whilst driving it to make it more efficient, it even has displays to give you live feedback on how to drive more efficiently….

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 460 total)

The topic ‘iPhone X’ is closed to new replies.