Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • iphone 4 broken.
  • Kuco

The ear speaker on my iphone 4 has gone tits up and to hear anyone I have to put it on speaker phone which is not ideal. Does anyone know roughly how much it cost to repair?

Wrong forum sorry.

Slogo
    Free Member

Get some hands free headphones.

How old is the phone?

Kuco

I’ve got headphones for it but I don’t wan’t to keep faffing around with them to answer a call. The phone is probably about two and half years old.

senorj

I’m interested in this, my little monster has sucked mine and now have similar symptoms to the OP.
    (it just sounds quiet/muffled) 🙁

thetallpaul
    Free Member

If you are technically proficient.
    iFixit Guide
    Looks a bit of a faff though.
    Speaker is £1.29 of Fleabay.

senorj

nice one thetallpaul. 🙂

downhilldave

Mine did the same,it’s a common fault by all accounts. I have free insurance with my bank account so got a new phone. Might be covered on your house insurance. If not it looks quite simple as a Diy fix,loads of help on Google and the speaker is £1.85 online

Superficial
    Free Member

Most iphone bits can be bought on eBay for a couple of quid, but don’t underestimate how much of a faff it is to dismantle. The screws are tiny, and there’s probably 30-40 of them to get fully inside. I’ve replaced the home button on mine several times which basically requires full dissembly. The first time it took me four hours but by the third time, I’d got it down to an art and it took me just over an hour.

Depending on whether that sounds like your idea of fun, it might be worth just finding a repair shop who will do it for £30 or so.

Superficial
    Free Member

PS that ifixit guide is for the wrong version of the phone. You’ll need this one: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+4+Earpiece+Speaker+Replacement/4333

It looks as though the speaker fix is a bit simpler than replacing the button since you don’t have to take the screen out (and therefore avoid the most fiddly screws) but I’d still leave 2 hours aside to fix it. You don’t want to rush!

Kuco

Thanks.

With my lack of patience might be better taking it to a repairers.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Get this fixed?

PePPeR

Wysiwyg, have you done any Samsung screen changes?

I’ve cracked my Note 2 screen and would like it replaced, the touch part is all OK, just glass needs replacing.

Kuco

I haven’t got it fixed yet.

z1ppy

Bleeding power button on mine stopped work yesterday (software option ‘accessibility’ is doing the job for now), ive watched the repair vid & it look horrendous to replace. Don’t suppose anyone can recommend a repair shop Stourbridge (west brum) ways?

wurzelcube
    Free Member

I’ve got the sane problem as Z1ppy. If only there was a software option to turn the phone off.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Settings App>General>Accessibility>Assistive Touch>Turn it ON.

Use the new screen White Button, select Device>touch Lock Screen, this will turn OFF Screen.

If you touch and hold the Lock Screen button for 3 seconds it will give you the “slide to power off” slider so you can turn OFF your iPhone. To turn iPhone back ON, connect to Wall Charger or USB

daveh
    Free Member

In my (specific) experience, the home button only needs a clean to get it working again. Turn the phone off, pour ipa onto the button to form a puddle, press the button loads of times in different spots i.e. top, sides, bottom, middle, work the ipa around a bit. Dry off the excess and turn the phone back on. Done it a few times now and its always brought it back to being reliable.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Pepper> I havent as I hate splitting digitizers from LCDs as the probability of FUBARing the lot is high.
    A whole screen replacement not a problem but its costly.

Dave> theyre talking power button not home

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Anyway with regards the buttons/speakers I can do them, but unfortunately not local so £20 inc return recorded delivery

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve got the sane problem as Z1ppy. If only there was a software option to turn the phone off.

If you jailbreak, you can use activator to set any key combo you like to mimic a button press. E.g. press and hold volume up to mimic the power button. However there are two problems with this approach

1) To install a jailbreak, you usually have to enter DFU mode which relies on being able to use the power button
    2) It wouldn’t help turning the phone on.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

which relies on being able to use the power button

Unless you use a pwned DFU ipsw.

But thats a lot of hassle and the chances of a compatible ios are atm slim. So assistive touch ftw.

Kuco

wysiwyg have I got this right £20 for the repair and return post?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Yupp, obv special delivery is more about £23 to cover postage, thats entirely up to you, min ill post is recorded, any extra cover is up to you.

z1ppy

…ohh I missed something somewhere, are you saying you can my power button Wysiwyg? (for £23) Iphone 4 power button failure..

Kuco

wysiwyg YHM.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

affirmative, both jobs require the same amount of disassembly so same price.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Cheers Kuco, replied and can sort.

All jobs will be and overnight turn around fellas so should be without phone for 2 days taking into account postage both ways.

Cougar

I think I’d be chancing my arm in an Apple store first. Worst case scenario they say no.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

On a 3 yo iphone, it could cost you that in petrol, and the computer will most deffo say no…

z1ppy

Out of warranty, 2nd owner, apple are booked up for the next week (I chanced by yesterday Xmas shopping) & not convenient to visit.. I know there pretty good but it’s a known fault, that needs the the phone completely disassembling, so they’d have to give me a re-conditioned unit… There pretty good, but not that good. I understand the suggestion though, they did help me previous

wysiwyg
    Free Member

If you want it doing z1ppy let me know I’ll order the part when I order the speaker for Kuco later

Cougar

Furry nuff. Sorry Wyzi, I wasn’t trying to rob you of a sale, just trying to be helpful.

z1ppy

opps not long seen the post.. ygm…

iamconfusedagain
    Free Member

I have a possible solution for your speaker problem, it is a bit odd but it worked for me- honest.
    Ok suck the speaker. Im not kidding I found it on a random forum and it worked.

My home button has stopped working a few times after getting it wet too, but it seems to wake up again after a spell in the airing cupboard

Muke
    Free Member

Any ideas for a dead microphone fix ?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Replacement

Muke
    Free Member

Thanks
    I had a look online and that seems like a lot of taking apart to get to the microphone, would it be a £23 job by yourself or is it more complicated than that ?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

It’s the std issue mic? Not the speaker phone mic ?

Not that it makes any difference.

DIY route will cost you a fiver and I’ll happily give you instructions, just don’t mess up the screw placement.

Or fire it off to me, I have the part in stock, did one yesterday

Muke
    Free Member

Thanks wysiwyg
    yes its the normal phone mic not speaker one. I will drop you an email when my wife has decided what she wants to do about it.

Kuco

Sent phone off to wysiwyg Monday night and got it back today all fixed and kept informed through out.

I’d be very happy to use wysiwyg again 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘iphone 4 broken.’ is closed to new replies.