Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • inverters – who knows anything about them?
  • trusslebabes
    Free Member

I am thinking of getting an inverter fitted to my van to run my lynercher (big belt sander) needs to be pretty powerful as i need a big generator to power it. Anyone got one or have any advice?

Cheers

scaredypants

As a non-electrician and no interest in van electrics:

I’d be surprised if yr van could provide enough power (without setting something on fire)

geoffj

If its a 900w plus one, then you will struggle. you can get inverters that capacity, but you would need to have the engine running or it will suck th battery dry in minutes.

trusslebabes
    Free Member

apparently you can maybe get another battery rigged up or something to help but i’m not sure it was just a a comment made

trusslebabes
    Free Member

Where would i need to go to have one fitted?

geoffj

You can use a split charge relay and a leisure battery , but even one of thse wont last long.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i think the generator is a better idea tbh.

you will need lots of big leisure batterys to run it (& there not cheap) and some fancy wiring. and a charger to charge them up as the alternator isn’t enough.

if you decide to look into it more;

http://www.travelvolts.com/default.html

martyn is an excellent auto-electician.

Junkyard
    Free Member

thats about 75 amps you want to draw stick with a generator
    I could explain it all and you could do it but it will be cost about £300 for bits ish and still wont run for long.

sturmey
    Free Member

75 amps seriously the lynercher is 9000 watts The largest on board power system I have fitted is 5000 watts and even then we had a 110 amp 24 volt un regulated alternator with a pully ratio of 4:1 and still had to increase tickover speed. I dont know of any system capable over powering that amount of power. If you are serious about it try Powerall in York Mitch should be able to point you in the right direction.

geoffj

lynercher is 9000 watts

A 9kw belt sander? 😯

trusslebabes
    Free Member

Been and had a look at the belt sander. It’s input power required is 1KW so pretty hefty. spoke to my friendly mechanic who said they use a tyre cutting machine on all their vans run by an inverter, i would imagine that would need a similar amount of power. A generator would be heavy and hard work lifting it in and out of van for the few times i would need it. I would probably only need to use the inverter once a week at the most as most of the places i go i can plug in with my extension lead.

sturmey
    Free Member

Wire in a second battery possibly about 110 amp with split charge connect up a 1000w inverter and just use it while the engine is running. Im guessing the lynercher once spinning over will use a lot less than 1000w. If needed use a seperate smart charger while at home to make sure the second battery is fully charged for the next days work.

supertramp
    Free Member

a second battery and a smart.com relay, sorted. 1000 watts isn’t a lot of power on the big scheme of things, a smallish suitcase type of generator can do that!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_761185_langId_-1_categoryId_165734

you can get them for around a tenner.

out of interest do you mean a linisher?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/scheppach-bts-900x-50mm-sander-linisher-230v/53728?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Datafeed-_-Tools-_-Scheppach%20BTS%20900X%2050mm%20Sander%20%2F%20Linisher%20230V

TheBrick
    Free Member

geoffj – Member

lynercher is 9000 watts

A 9kw belt sander? [/quote]

double!!!111!one

Sounds fishy to me, can you even get 9kw single phase motors?

sturmey
    Free Member

I think reading back junkyard was talking 75 amps at 12 volts. Thats about right for 1000watt 240 v motor.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘inverters – who knows anything about them?’ is closed to new replies.