Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Invasive advertising
  • stayhigh

Morning all

Am I alone in getting a banner ad that flashes up at the bottom or mid screen, helpfully as I click on a thread ffs, for a clothing company or paypal?

Whats that all about cos its starting to pi55 me off!

(1st world problem whine over lol)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Can’t see anything here 😉

stayhigh

Happens evertime I open a page 🙁

MoreCashThanDash

Got a real shock when I last saw the website with adverts. It’s gopping 😮

In fact, I doubt I would spend as much time here with all that nonsense going on, but I accept that it funds the website. As does my subscription.

jon1973
    Free Member

I get this on my tablet using chrome, plus it freezes the browser. Unusable website on my tablet.

ratherbeintobago

As has been said before, STW has to be funded somehow, and you have two choices – either subscribe (for a whole £1.49/m) or put up with the ads.

chipps

We do try to avoid pop-up or crazy loud/intrusive/Wonga ads, but sometimes the ad networks send them through.
    I always have the ads on and haven’t had an ad pop up recently.

creamegg
    Free Member

I dont mind adverts and happy to put up with them but stw is starting to look like the tacky websites from the late 90’s

chip
    Free Member

Mines particularly bad this morning,
    Also when I scroll down and get to the bit i want it reloads me back at the top of the page .
    And if I click on my username and move down to forum activity, it does not work but instead the subscribe box becomes highlighted.

Attempted bullying into subscription just stiffens my resolve,

AND makes me not want to subscribe. 😀

But this has been covered a few times now and the answer is,
    Put up, pay up or pack up.

rascal
    Free Member

Mine’s fine if on lappy or work Mac.
    Iphone gets hammered by those bloody Reiss or Vape ads and yes it’s a PITA.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I get that ads are necessary and Singletrack’s survival has got to be subs-driven. But I think most critics of the non-subs version would just like one with slightly fewer ads. It’s the recent creep of ads in every spare space that’s turning the site into a naff looking, inaccessible place to visit.

If Singletrack value new visitors and want to grow new subs from strangers, I would have thought they should be looking at sorting this out ASAP. If they just rely on word of mouth and people that already know and accept the site, then I can understand why they wouldn’t really see this as an issue.

Their site, their strategy, ultimately their success or failure.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What £1.25 gets you

£1.49/month for reduced or £2.99 for no ads?
    http://singletrackworld.com/premier/account/

maccruiskeen

I don’t mind if theres one ad or many around the site content – above, below to the left or right, fine, I’m capable of choosing where my eyes point. But, for phone use, ads dancing around in front of the site content isn’t so good.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

well said Freeloader

Jamie
    Free Member

funkrodent

Alright a tad harsh, and it was a big night last night so perhaps the patience-o-meter settings are a bit out of kilter. But I just don’t get why people begrudge the cost of a subscription to this site. particularly given how for many it’s almost a mountain biking Second Life.

My particular frustration with all this stems from three years running a b2b online magazine. We made it work, but begads it is hard to make money from online as the revenue options are so limited. The amount of people I encountered in my work who seemed to feel that because it is online it should be free was breathtaking. And I know many journalists who’ve had to quit the profession over the last few years (I’m not a journo by the way) as a direct result of this attitude to their endeavours.

So, as an edited response to the OP, can I respectfully suggest that if the amount of adverts on the site is really so irksome, perhaps you might consider purchasing an extremely high value subscription in order to alleviate yourself of this issue?

Jamie
    Free Member

To be fair, after reading the OP again, I noticed they said ‘lol’.

So maybe your vitriol was deserved.

chip
    Free Member

The reason behind the adverts being skittish is I am sure to promote the unintentional activation of said adverts.
    Some times I have inadvertently click an advert more than once as it appeared as I clicked a thread.

If it gets any worse it could actually become a game to rival candy crush for speed of touch and reaction times where your prize is to actually get to read a thread.

beej

Just logged out to try the site with ads…

Jebus, that Microsoft one the takes over the front page until you close it? All the animation/constant changing images/videos?

I don’t mind adverts but having multiple ones all changing images/playing video does make the site look cheap and unprofessional. In order for people to pay for a subscription they need to be hooked and engaged first to the point they are willing to pay. If I was a first time/casual visitor I’d stop using the site before I even considered paying.

I assume that all the animated ones pay more than static adverts?

funkrodent

Wow! I’ve been modded! First time for everything I guess. Kind of puts my second comment into outer contextspace though. So for those who blinked and missed it I expressed to the OP that I thought he should really consider investing some of his hard earned in supporting the behemoth what is Singletrack and if he wasn’t prepared to do so should perhaps share his concerns elsewhere..

Anyway, that’s my two penn’orth. Happy Bank Holiday one and all!

funkrodent

Jamie – Freeloader!
    To be fair, after reading the OP again, I noticed they said ‘lol’.

So maybe your vitriol was deserved

I missed that. And a good thing too! Would undoubtedly have resulted in a ban…

Jamie
    Free Member

Wow! I’ve been modded!

Likewise. Makes Mike’s post seem a bit odd.

…well odder than usual. BOOOOOOM!

cheers_drive

Hopefully STW towers are taking onboard the feedback from this and the many other threads about the invasive ads….

trout
    Free Member

On the pc with a big screen no issues with adds you can look at the bits you want to
    but on mobile ( phone or Ipad/tablet ) the adds take over and keep appearing even though I dont want to Vape or buy clothes
    and the close add x is hard to hit every time which means the add opens
    even had an add with no close x anywhere on screen

Seems like the mobile add makers are getting more aggressive

rascal
    Free Member

Hmmm….mods have been at work on this thread today.
    Unless I’m mistaken, quite a few comments seem to have been deleted that were up earlier 😕

robdob
    Free Member

I don’t mind adverts but having multiple ones all changing images/playing video does make the site look cheap and unprofessional. In order for people to pay for a subscription they need to be hooked and engaged first to the point they are willing to pay. If I was a first time/casual visitor I’d stop using the site before I even considered paying.

+1
    Exactly what I’ve said before.

Of course the subscribers will whine and get on their high horses and post pictures of stuff that costs £1.49 (really are you that childish and Coke doesn’t even cost that much unless you do your weekly shop in a motorway service station) but the fact is that if people are put off the site when they first come to it cos it looks so tacky and slow to load they won’t hang around – new subscribers dry up, visits to site go down, everything goes pear shape. Then your precious £1.49 won’t get you diddly squat.

robdob
    Free Member

I just timed how long it too to load the forum page up – iPhone 5, 50mb fibre wi-fi connection at full strength. 17 seconds to load the whole page and the ads.

Errrr that’s not great really, or is that normal for a modern website?

FeeFoo
    Free Member

On the other hand, as mentioned above, it does give me a nostalgic glow to see such a retro website.

Nineties-tastic!

“Click here to win a million!!!”

DavidB
    Free Member

I’m fed up being logged out! I have paid for years but keep having to log back in across devices other sites manage this ok. The remember me button seems good for about a day.

STATO
    Free Member

I just timed how long it too to load the forum page up – iPhone 5, 50mb fibre wi-fi connection at full strength. 17 seconds to load the whole page and the ads.

You should try it with a crap connection, you literally cannot comment on a topic as every time an ad half loads up your kicked out of the keyboard, so mid type you inevitably end up hitting an add. Pain in the posterior.

wrecker
    Free Member

I think STW need to decide if they want visitors or not. If all they want is subscribers, then they should make it a subscriber only forum. If it carries on like this, it’s what they’ll probably end up with anyway.

sputnik
    Free Member

Greed is at the bottom of this. Plain and simple.

There never used to be ads, then ads at top , bottom and side of page.
    Then the flashing , video ads.
    Now this…

But it costs money to run this site…
    Ok, ok, I get that, but I believe the costs are covered and then some.
    Greed , greed , greed.

Oh, and the “just get a P account” argument just smacks of blackmail/bullying.

beej

But it costs money to run this site…
    Greed , greed , greed.

Cool – can you post the numbers here? How much does it cost to run the site (inc. staff, hosting, editorial content, travel to gather the content etc)?
    And how much do they earn from the ads/subscriptions? Can you break that down by type of advert too, that would help us all understand the decisions behind the advertising layout.

Or… are you simply spouting an uninformed opinion without any information or facts to back it up.

I believe the site is being paid for by an anonymous Middle-Eastern government official. That would explain all the brand new cars and big houses owned by the STW people.

Jamie
    Free Member

I think that’s called ‘profit’. Businesses seem to be keen on it for some reason.

Drac

Greed , greed , greed.

Might be what you believe but it doesn’t make you right.

I’m fed up being logged out! I have paid for years but keep having to log back in across devices other sites manage this ok. The remember me button seems good for about a day.

Have you tried the cookie clearing tricks? I’m stay logged in in every device I connect with.

rebel12
    Free Member

Agree that due to the pop ups and the time it takes to load, the site is now pretty much un-useable on an iPhone or tablet when away from a fast Wifi connection. That’s when I normally use the site, via 3G on the tram on the way to or from work. Don’t often bother now because its so frustrating, which kind of defeats the point in having ads I guess if I’m not seeing them any more?

cookeaa

I see the point in a premium sub for the access to back issues and extra content online etc, but taking it up just to get rid of all the click through ads? You can eff right off sunshine! Obviously the ads are placed to generate a bit more revenue, but just how click happy are STWers?

I maybe click one or two a year tops, and it hasn’t resulted in a single purchase yet…

MrSmith
    Free Member

Even on a fast connection it’s near unusable on ipad, you can zoom in and crop the ads out which stops it jumping around then you just have the Reiss banner at the bottom that doesn’t really interfere too much.

Should be an easy fix for a competent web person?

sputnik
    Free Member

I’m glad to see I’ve touched a nerve with the “greed” comment.
    It’s just so blatantly obvious that more and more is needed to run this site…

wwaswas

cookeaa – have a read of the forum rules, you’re still in the edit window (hint, hint).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Invasive advertising’ is closed to new replies.