Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Internet Fraud Via Email Questions ?
  • Ifrider
    Free Member

Thought I’d ask the varied audience on here about a situation I’m in…
    To cut a long story short, I’m having an extension on the house. Builder a mate of a mate (but know him well) Been emailing this guy from the start…quotes, plans etc. Last Friday he asks for the first sum of money. Within 2 hrs of him leaving, having discussed earlier bank transfer for payment I get an email with his bank details on requesting the £9k be paid in. We did this next day using the detail in email (same name, UK account) but further emails from the same email follow questioning this payment and when it will arrive. By Monday he still hasn’t seen it, my bank had showed the sum gone so thought it was just banks being slow. He started again at my place Tues and still has had no payment. When I showed him the account number and emails it turns out none had come from him personally and it was somebody else’s account. So it seems somebody had hacked into his email. The bank and the police are now investigating it but basically is this my fault, am I liable and how likely will it be that the banks get this back ? 🙁 Stressed

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The bank and the police are now investigating it but basically is this my fault, am I liable and how likely will it be that the banks get this back ? Stressed

Probably good questions for the Bank and the Police (sorry to sound a bit flippant but they will be in the best position to tell you)

dannybgoode

I’m really sorry to here you have fallen victim to this – it is becoming increasingly common (in fact I think there was something on the BBC website about it just yesterday).

Large companies are exposed also and have lost £m’s in single transactions (Google ‘fake president fraud’) for full details of how it works but ultimately it is the same fraud just on a larger scale.

The bank will not be too interested I am afraid I don’t think as strictly they have done absolutely nothing wrong. You asked them to pay an account and they obliged. It is not like you made a mistake in the details you entered.

It is purely a police matter.

I know it is too late for you but for anyone else – if you get an email instructing payment to a bank account phone the person you are meant to be checking (using the contact number you have for them and not using any number on the email you have received!) and double check with them.

This kind of thing is only going to get worse so please be on your guard.

EDIT: I insure cyber liability type risks and see this kind of thing professionally.

NewRetroTom

If it was the builder’s email that was hacked then surely it’s at least partly his fault?

jam-bo
    Ifrider
    Free Member

Cheers guys, must admit to feeling pretty stupid – normally pretty savvy with this sort of stuff but let my guard down.
    The funds must go to an account and IF that’s now been emptied, surely it’s the bank’s obligation to check the ID of the account holder ? (although I assume they’ve hacked somebody’s account) ??

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Internet Fraud Via Email Questions ?’ is closed to new replies.