Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Internal business blogging tools?
  • geoffj

Any ideas for blogging tools aimed at sharing knowledge internally – within and between teams? Probably a service that’s bought in unless there are any native Microsoft options.
    We currently use Trello, JIRA and Lucent chart easily enough, so something along those lines would be useful.
    What you using?

brassneck

Sharepoint supports blogs but is overkill if you don’t already have it or want only that. Not sure a blog is exactly what you want from those other options though?

Slack sounds like the sort of thing your looking for, if SaaS is OK and you can try it out for nowt.

imn

We have a customised version of something from Jive, but I’m not sure I’d recommend it particularly. One requirement, for us at least, is having it self-hosted so confidentiality is less of a concern. We also have a Confluence based wiki system that doesn’t get used much.
    Isn’t WordPress supposed to be decent, and with lots of templates and examples to inspire?

geoffj

Thanks guys – Slack looks OK, but more on the IM side of things than blogging? WordPress is an option, I’m also going to look at Google+ with dedicated circles.
    Anymore for anymore?

xiphon
    Free Member

Wiki?

leffeboy

If you are on Office365 then then you can add various things to ‘sites’. The problem for me is always having yet another login that isn’t used a lot so people never really log in and it dies on it’s arse

We use google to host our mail so use google sites for that sort of stuff as everyone is already logged in. It requires more structuring than a blog but the search works well so it does the job for us

allthegear
    Free Member

If you are already using JIRA, it does seem sensible to look at Confluence. Should be single sign-on between them and a reasonable understanding of each other so you can reference items between each other.

Either that or get me in to help your own devs implement something in Drupal. I’d even make it run on MS servers and integrate with Active Directory for you…

Rachel

mmannerr

Confluence and Jira play nicely together (saying this despite being MS certified on SP), just watch out that you will not enter Atlassian add-in hell as there are so many tempting plugins available.

Anyway, real challenge is managing the information in the system or actually keeping it current and in active use.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Interesting. I’ve used Confluence, but I don’t rate it much as it seems very clunky.

WordPress P2 would be my choice.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Check out Yammer – it might be what you need, though it’s more of an ‘office’ type Facebook replacement. Can’t remember if it is MS product but it seems to play nicely with our Office 365 setup.

beej

Yammer is now owned by Microsoft and is being integrated into Office 365.

geoffj

COnfluence is already being used, but its just a glorified wiki. Slak is a bit more lighweight that you can plumb into lots of other services jira, github etc.

Either that or get me in to help your own devs implement something in Drupal. I’d even make it run on MS servers and integrate with Active Directory for you…

With all due respect, we need another bespoke system like a hole in the head. This is all about being a bit more agile with self organising teams rather than complex rules-based solutions.

I’ll have another look at Yammer too.

allthegear
    Free Member

Anyway, real challenge is managing the information in the system or actually keeping it current and in active use.

This. TBH the technical implementation is the tiniest bit of the puzzle. Developing some sort of model of the information you need to store is the biggest piece. (also, often a really revealing exercise to develop)

Rachel

footflaps

We use an internal Wiki for sharing info.

Sales related info tends to go into SalesForce, although the Sales team are pretty hopeless at updating it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Internal business blogging tools?’ is closed to new replies.