Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Insurance Pay out, What would you do with £2100
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

So Wheelies have valued my Spesh Sirrus at £500 and my Custom Prince Albert at £2125, These values I will get If I choose to shop through their fairly hefty priced online shop which has many 2015 models but are all RRP

OR

Take the £400 & £1700 cash?

I don’t fancy spending so much on the commuter, maybe a £200 cyclocross (if such a thing exists?!), £200 on security for the outbuilding (baring in mind I’ve already improved this) and £1700 on a 2014 MTB,
    Canyon have cracking value bikes, in particular the 2014 Spectral AL 7.0[url=https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3253]null [/url]???

Are there any other options/brands I should be considering?

What would you do?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hoooers, booze and a Greggs sausage roll.

peteimpreza

If that’s the first offer from your insurance company, decline it and explain why it is not enough.

They will always offer what they think they can get away with,,not what your property is actually worth.

tacopowell
    Free Member

decline it

This is what I insured them at and I’d rather not push my luck, the Shed was locked but with a bare minimum lock.

RustySpanner

Decide which bikes you want, see how cheap you can find it for in the sales and see which option leaves you with the most cash left over at the end?

tacopowell
    Free Member

Any suggestions of bikes at £1700?!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I would build a codeine.

tenfoot

Slight derail here, but can I ask how long it took to get your offer? I put a claim in this week, so just wondering when I’ll be back out again. Cheers

chakaping
    Free Member

Take the cash. Then take your time deciding what to buy.

Do not buy from wheelies!

ninfan
    Free Member

Would have thought that you’re entitled to a like for like replacement?

if their ‘preferred supplier’ can’t provide, then thats hardly your problem, and they should pay you the full value so you can source a replacement yourself.

chakaping
    Free Member

Don’t you think the payout he’s been offered is quite generous?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

ninfan – Member
    Would have thought that you’re entitled to a like for like replacement?

This is what I insured them at

For a custom build I’m assuming you can either declare the value or allow them to. Personally I would declare a value of full RRP from parts value for any custom build but you can’t go back after the event.
    The policy will also state that there will be a reduction for cash as it should have been insured at RRP and deals with wheelies mean the insurance company gets a decent volume discount and you get a the bike you want if you insured to RRP.

Anyway take the cash, do some demos, ride your mates bikes and pick up a good deal.

Northwind

£2100 would be most of the used Remedy I’ve got my eyes on, I’d have that. And something cheap and cheerful off gumtree for commuting on.

6079smithw
    Free Member
    yourguitarhero
    Free Member

For £1700 I’d get the 2013 carbon Cannondale Trigger 2 with the Fox DYAD shock off of Paul’s Cycles.
    Crazy amount of bike for the money and it’s actually lighter than the more expensive 1 model.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s1p5185/CANNONDALE-TRIGGER-CARBON-2-FOX-DYAD-REAR-SHOCK-2013

tacopowell
    Free Member

Slight derail here, but can I ask how long it took to get your offer? I put a claim in this week, so just wondering when I’ll be back out again. Cheers

Phoned insurance company last Friday, Passed me onto Wheelies this Tuesday just gone, Valued Custom bike yesterday,
    From what I’ve read I’ve been on of the quicker cases but I have been on their back at every second,
    Ask Names and timelines,
    I personally have had a nice experience with Wheelies but because their own stock is RRP I’m going to take the money and buy more bike than they can offer me.

Canyon bikes look great Value and I’m struggling to find anything close, Although I’ve minced around briefly before, Not been able to test ride one beforehand is a bummer.
    LBS will be visited before I make a final choice I’ve also got a Specialized concept store round the corner, Be interesting to see what they can offer.

Codiene isn’t a bad shout but I’m real small, I wanted to stay clear of 29ers
    Remedy isn’t a bad shout either, Will have a look around for 2014 models going cheap.
    That Cannondale is frickin horrific looking! Never been a fan of the lefty fork, Beauty in symmetry and what not!

chakaping
    Free Member

The Bird FS bike looks alright at that price level too, in case you hadn’t seen it.

Seen a few Saracen Ariels going cheap too, would’ve been on my list if I hadn’t gone 29er.

Wheelies were fine for me until I needed to warranty service BTW, that’s where they dropped the ball repeatedly. But fortunately you won’t be finding out for yourself!

tenfoot

Thanks Tacopowell. I’ll keep on at them.

thomthumb
    Free Member

a £200 cyclocross (if such a thing exists?!

it doesn’t. I’ve been looking for a mate and you’ll be lucky to find anything new under £500.

Leku
    Free Member

Hammerhead Thumper?

I was passed to Wheelies when my Cotic and Yeti were stolen. As they couldn’t replacement them with the same make / model i was given their full value.

klumpy
    Free Member

benji
    Free Member

Niner One9 frame and then save for the bits to hang on it.

chakaping
    Free Member

He said no 29ers, we should respect that even if it is the wrong decision.

😉

fr0sty125
    Free Member
    tacopowell
    Free Member

He said no 29ers, we should respect that even if it is the wrong decision.

You’d understand if yo were my height.

munrobiker
    Free Member

You should, in theory, be given the full value of the Dialled as they won’t be able to supply another one like for like.

It’s very hard to look past a Canyon Spectral 7.0 in their sale down to £1700.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

kona process 134 2014 heavy and crap spec but great looking

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Insurance Pay out, What would you do with £2100’ is closed to new replies.